BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport /w PDC and ComAcc

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
CDV Failure!

So I did the CDV DIY and failed at it. I mean everything went super smooth till the bleed. We tried bleeding it for about 2 hours with no luck. It was the pedal method. I also tried the vacuum method hooked up to the bleed nipple with no luck. PLEASE HELP!

I do not have access to a Motive Power bleeder.

We finally stopped after pumping the clutch then opening the bleed valve, which we heard air coming out every time, but fluid is not coming out at all anymore. It's just air EVERY TIME. We must have done it 50-60 times. At first it was a little fluid but then ALL AIR. I feel like a failure, but my buddy who was helping me said the BMW bleed is like no other after doing this today. His bleed is SUPER EASY. The BMW is HELL.
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

This is why I HIGHLY reccomend a pressure bleeder!

These two videos might help you out B_2_B_P

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uj1dMdYgRK4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uj1dMdYgRK4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

The Reverse clutch bleed setup using an NEW oil lube can/pump:

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ab0rvlIMFU4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ab0rvlIMFU4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
I wish I could drive my car to a place I could use a motive bleeder. I can't drive it because the clutch doesn't work. My new car is just a dust collector . It is on my military base(spangdahlem) but the auto hobby shop there have crap for tools. That's were I was doing it. I just wish someone had it on spangdahlem.
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

You don't need to drive your car anywhere.

Just get one of those old fashioned oil hand pumps and do the reverse bleed. I bought mine from Hornbach but I think I have also seen them at Obi as well. Any German hardware store will sell them. This one I bought at Hornbach, it is made by "Presson". Was like eight euros I think. I bought it just bc I wanted to have serval "tools" to bleed the clucth line. The best way is to use a pressure bleeder... but this reverse meathod should work too.

Sounds like you introduced quite a bit of air into your clutch hydro circiut. Make sire to keep topping up the brake resivior as you bleed the system tomorrow.

You should also have some 6mm I.D. clear plastic hose on hand and some new brake fluid.

Presson hand oil pump...

PS: Why not bring a case a beer to your local BMW dealer and ask to "borrow" thier pressure bleeder. Tell them what your problem is... I bet they would help you out. Don't ask the service guys... just go out and talk to the shop Miester.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
lavmugen
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 Superman 135i

dont worry!!!

i did the EXACT same thing....

YOU RUN OUT OF CLUTCH/BRAKE FLUID!

check the reservoir on the drivers side in the engine compartment.

the reservoir is divided into 2 parts (1 part for the brake, 1 part for the clutch) but the clutch part is VERY SMALL in volume (about 10% the volume of the brake fluid).

look closely from the drivers side of the reservoir, and towards the rear of the car you should see the clutch reservoir. It's very small compared the rest of the reservoir, it would mostly likely be empty.

just fill the reservoir up, and at the same time look at that small compartment.

TRUST ME, DONT GO OUT AND BUY A PRESSURE BLEEDER. YOU JUST RAN OUT OF FLUID IN THE SMALL CLUTCH RESERVOIR!

Let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

You don't need any special to breed, but you may need some one to press the clutch, some one keep the clutch fluid fill, and one to connect the tube while the clutch is pressed.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Oh shit I see it in the pic...stupid BMW. So you think tomorrow I can go back and do the same thing with the pedal method and make sure this stays full at the same time?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_2_B_P View Post
Oh shit I see it in the pic...stupid BMW. So you think tomorrow I can go back and do the same thing with the pedal method and make sure this stays full at the same time?
YuP! You just bled all the brake fluid out of the clutch portion of the brake res. You have to be real carefull to keep the res topped up WHILE you bleed the clutch circiut.

I would fill the res up. Then bleed. IF the pedel doesn't get hard. Try pulling off the CDV apart... let some brake fluid drip down. Then put it all back together and rebleed. You will get it done. it just is a PIA.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
I think what I might try is over fill the res a bit then do that. Once I get fluid to the CDV without letting the res go down then I will just bleed the clutch the manual way. I think what happened was we bled it TOO much.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Talking She's Alive!

So my baby is back in my possession. I was in the auto hobbies parking lot and had to pop it in 1st w/o the clutch of course and got it inside onto a lift.

After over filling it, on purpose, I took the rubber hose off where it connects to the metal line under the car. Once the fluid started to "run" out I put the line back on. I then preceded to vacuum bleed it from the bleed nipple twice. I then filled over filled it again and did the manual clutch bleed, which I'm glad I did because there was a little air left in it, and it worked like a charm.

It’s nice to have that fiasco over with. I will be buying a BMW service manual before I try something like that again. On a side note, the car is less granny like =P. What I mean is it shifts better. I still notice the jerkiness a bit but I think that’s normal. I'm happy with the mod overall.

In the back of my mind however, I'm wondering if I would break something now that the CDV it out. I mean I don't really track it and I'm not dropping the clutch too often if ever. I do however love spirited driving.

P.S. Thank you very much for your guys help.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Don't worry about CDV mod it. I had mine done at 3000 miles, and i am 19k without any issues, and I tracked my car many times. I don't drop clutch, but almost everyday I hard launch it.. okay not so hard but "spirited" launches
      08-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_2_B_P View Post
So my baby is back in my possession.... I still notice the jerkiness a bit but I think that’s normal. I'm happy with the mod overall...

P.S. Thank you very much for your guys help.
Glad to hear your back on the road!

Yea... some notchiness is normal. Or rather normal for a car with low miles. The gear box(& shift linkage) takes some time for it to break in. By the time you have 15K miles it should feel fairly smooth.

I really like the way my clutch/trans feels without the CDV.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #13
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Glad to hear your back on the road!

Yea... some notchiness is normal. Or rather normal for a car with low miles. The gear box(& shift linkage) takes some time for it to break in. By the time you have 15K miles it should feel fairly smooth.

I really like the way my clutch/trans feels without the CDV.
i have just ~14700 miles on my baby. Off-topic. I changed the oil and the car feels different. Not bad just a little underpowered. Anyone else notice that? I did the oil change the same day as the CDV. Its my first oil change with this baby.
Appreciate 0