BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
mistrkris135
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Does my mechanic know what hes doing?

So about 2 weeks ago i took my 08 135i in to get a new clutch install. The clutch is a stage 2+ spec, also purchased the steel flywheel with it. Got it back yesterday, and the first thing he mentioned was a center support bearing that is worn down pretty good. (he said bring it back and he will do it for free he will only charge me for the part) so ive been driving it around all day. I notice that in 1st and 2nd gear, that right before i release the clutch COMPLETELY it shakes dramatically, sort of like how someone doesnt know how to drive and the car wants to jerk. (but trust me i know how to drive stick). all the other gears work perfectly fine with no shake. So anyway my question is, do you guys think my mechanic fu*ked up on the install? im bringing the car back tomorrow morning to get that center support bearing replaced (he mentioned that that could be where the shake is coming from) i will keep you guys updated but if anyone has had their clutches installed recently please let me know the changes you felt once you got it back. tHanks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I don't know what the "center support bearing" is but it sounds like it could be your throwout bearing. The mechanic would be looking at it when he does the clutch replacement and it could need replaced. It could make the clutch feel funny but it should have affected the old clutch too. What you describe sounds more like the clutch engagement is changed either just because of new parts or possibly the different friction material on the clutch. It could be something that will only affect it while the parts are breaking in - wearing in. If it is the clutch friction material change, however, it could be "permanent".
      03-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Center support holds the propshaft doesn't it? I can see why shifting might be rough if it was wearing out. How's your guibo doing?
      03-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

I believe that is something for the driveshaft. That could be causing the issue but I've also heard of the Spec clutches shaking or chattering and its on any car, any model.

Sometimes after people break in the clutch properly it stops making those noises or feeling funny. Hopefully you've gone easy on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
drewster99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 SERIES

I had an ACT HDSS in my last car. It was a lot heavier than the stock one and just took awhile to get used to. Plus the "break-in" period is around 500 miles. Shuttered like crazy at first.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Tough call on your mechanic, umm...I mean 'service technician.' I do all my own service on my motorcycle and now that my four years is up, most of the more mundane tasks on my 135i. All this on the premise that bikes and cars are not spaceships, and therefore rocket science is rarely required. Further, I prefer to 'F'-up my own vehicle for free, as opposed to paying a 'service technician' up to $140 per hour to 'F' it up for me.

On the other hand, a clutch and flywheel replacement is presumed to be beyond my current skill level. I would trust MY service technician. If only I could get my hands on a hard copy of the BMW Shop Manual for the 135i, I might be pleasantly surprised to learn that I could do it myself.

Good luck!
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0