09-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
that was a different time! the M3 was a V8....different people in charge. The 1M was an 'underground' project/proposal. The M2 is not.....there is an element of 'rebellion' which flourishes creativity; some of the best cars were created with the spirit. No matter how much they want to name the M2 "pyrat2"----it will never create that kind of innovative spirit, IMO. Will it be technically good? YES....will it have magic? not sure about that...
Let's just sit and wait.
      09-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #24
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

keep us updated.
      09-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #25
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Test drove the M235i for a relatively short drive on 8AT, I think I made the right choice in paying the premium for a 1M. Now M2 on the other hand is a different story - if I could wait that long (in a semi-broken car), and it's the same price as what I paid for the 1M I could have a hard time deciding. Maybe I should worry about the warranty more with only 1 year left - I really liked how the M235i looked, but I figure as my only car that I occasionally track, I might need to tinker more than I would with a 1M in hindsight.

And now that I have driven the 1M for almost a month, I think I really need to think about having a winter vehicle (not necessarily a beater either) that I could enjoy in rather than driving the 1M during the rainy season which could include snow
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #26
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Name:  IMG_3265.JPG
Views: 507
Size:  614.0 KB

Nope, I don't even care if there is another similiar car weather it be a M2, or M235, I already seen the M235 in person. I can visualize the wider track and fender the M2 gonna have, and still, it does not appeal to me. Performance is a given. I walk out and took that pic to remind me lol
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Think again. Internally at the BMW M Division the M2 is nicknamed "Pyrat2". Say no more. BMW knows very well that the 1M ("Pyrat") will be the benchmark to assess/evaluate the M2, so they are doing all they can to make the M2 live up to the high expectations. And for achieving that, the M2 must be a bat out of hell.
that was a different time! the M3 was a V8....different people in charge. The 1M was an 'underground' project/proposal. The M2 is not.....there is an element of 'rebellion' which flourishes creativity; some of the best cars were created with the spirit. No matter how much they want to name the M2 "pyrat2"----it will never create that kind of innovative spirit, IMO. Will it be technically good? YES....will it have magic? not sure about that...
Blasphemy! The engineers at BMW M aren't hanging it up anytime soon. It will have magic for sure! The M2 will not be as rare, likely will be have more refined handling than the 1M, will definitely be quicker, but like the e30 m3 vs the e36 m3, i am confident the 1M will have more cachet.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #28
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Blasphemy! The engineers at BMW M aren't hanging it up anytime soon. It will have magic for sure! The M2 will not be as rare, likely will be have more refined handling than the 1M, will definitely be quicker, but like the e30 m3 vs the e36 m3, i am confident the 1M will have more cachet.
Fully agree with this. Across the board, we have some 1M owners (especially second gen owners) expounding 1M virtues as if M Div has peaked and can never create more small M car magic. 1M may well be a future classic but it is history for now. The 2er wheelbase and track leave it ready for M Div to create something WOW, much like the e30m3, e36m3, e46m3 and 1M when they were released. Let's wait and see!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #29
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
Just ordered a EB M235i. Manual trans with LSD and all the bells and whistles(sunroof delete). Still have my 1M and love.

Which will I like better????
you should like both. you can't push and thrill in M235i as much you would in 1M nor would you drive as calmly and quietly in 1M as you would in M235. You have 2 lovely horses for 2 different courses
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #30
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I drove the M235 and my vote goes to the 1M.

It's not because the M235 is a bad car. It's a good car. It's got lots of gadgets and distractions. And that was the issue for me. I was looking more at the tech than the driving experience. When I stopped focusing on digital torque and rpm counters, etc, I found that the car was somewhat wanting.

The guys before me have put out some great thoughts and theories on the reasons why, but in the end, I don't think that comparing these cars is fair. The specs are pretty close, but while one is a competent, comfortable machine that dazzles you with tech that will be obsolete in a year, the other one dazzles you with raw and terrifying performance which is something that will never be obsolete.

You're asking which car you will love more. I think the better question is which car will you lust after more. You will love the M235, but I don't think it will last. You will lust for the 1M even after years of ownership.

I'm with Artemis though. Master your patience and wait for the M2 if you can't find a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #31
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

FWIW (as the car is still under development and subject to changes)

"BMW M2, we're happy to see you
By Steven J. Ewing
Posted Sep 3rd 2014 2:58PM
I recently spent some time behind the wheel of the BMW M235i and, well, I didn't love it. Sure, it's a great car, but I just didn't truly bond with it the way I have with previous M cars. What I had hoped for was a proper successor to the 1 Series M Coupe I fell in love with in 2011, but what I got instead was just a sporty 2 Series that didn't exactly stir my emotions in the same way.
But now there's this: the honest-to-goodness BMW M2. Previously, spy photographers captured a development-mule M2, but this is the real thing, in its full prototype body. Notice the aggressive front fascia that mimics the M3/M4, the more more robust wheel/tire package, and the M-standard quad exhaust outlets around back. This thing sure does look the business.
Details are slim as of this writing, but rumors suggest power will come from BMW's now-ubiquitous N55 turbocharged 3.0-liter six, with output somewhere in the 360- to 380-horspower range. The seven-speed M dual-clutch transmission seems like a good fit here, too. As does a six-speed manual transmission (here's hoping)."

(source: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/03/bmw-m2-spy-shots/)

Latest M2 pictures:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028103
      09-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #32
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

360-380hp and over 300 pounds lighter than the M3/M4..???

I Don't think BMW wants the M2 to step on the big brother toe....in other words sales....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #33
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
I think the better question is which car will you lust after more. You will love the M235, but I don't think it will last. You will lust for the 1M even after years of ownership.

I'm with Artemis though. Master your patience and wait for the M2 if you can't find a 1M.
Well said! Pretty much all you guys seem to be spot on! I will be keeping my 1M and driving it when I want that RUSH of raw power and GUT! I just sold my 135i and am leasing the M235i, tho I ordered it the way I want it in case I keep it. My plan is and will remain to run out the lease on the M235i and then grab a M2(and do it as my 4th Euro Delivery!), so don't assume I am stupid here!

For the haters, I only asked the question to get general feedback. I have a great friend who races NASA with me that had a 1M and sold it and now has a M235i. He's had E36, E46 and E90 race cars and he says the M235i is the best BMW DD he's had ever. Notice I said DD(Daily Driver). Why? Because he (and I) are both north of 50 years old and he likes having a cup of coffee sometimes while driving. Now don't misunderstand, he also likes his cars "HOT". He dropped the stock exhaust and now has a customer system with no muffler because everything else was too quiet.

Anyway, I enjoy readding the comments and I'll let you guys know what I think when I pick it up in SC the end of Oct!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #34
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
Attachment 1086246

Nope, I don't even care if there is another similiar car weather it be a M2, or M235, I already seen the M235 in person. I can visualize the wider track and fender the M2 gonna have, and still, it does not appeal to me. Performance is a given. I walk out and took that pic to remind me lol
Beautiful car! Mine is VO also and wasn't sure aabout the black wheels but looks great!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #35
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Beautiful car! Mine is VO also and wasn't sure aabout the black wheels but looks great!
Thanks, I still have the the oem wheels.
What you are doing makes sense, you get variety of options without losing out much. I believe the M2 should be way above the M235.

With that, I also thought the 1M is a perfect dd, only downside is adding too much miles, thats why I got it a partner.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #36
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Well said! Pretty much all you guys seem to be spot on! I will be keeping my 1M and driving it when I want that RUSH of raw power and GUT! I just sold my 135i and am leasing the M235i, tho I ordered it the way I want it in case I keep it. My plan is and will remain to run out the lease on the M235i and then grab a M2(and do it as my 4th Euro Delivery!), so don't assume I am stupid here!

For the haters, I only asked the question to get general feedback. I have a great friend who races NASA with me that had a 1M and sold it and now has a M235i. He's had E36, E46 and E90 race cars and he says the M235i is the best BMW DD he's had ever. Notice I said DD(Daily Driver). Why? Because he (and I) are both north of 50 years old and he likes having a cup of coffee sometimes while driving. Now don't misunderstand, he also likes his cars "HOT". He dropped the stock exhaust and now has a customer system with no muffler because everything else was too quiet.

Anyway, I enjoy readding the comments and I'll let you guys know what I think when I pick it up in SC the end of Oct!
Dang! You lost me at "haters!" What is this if someone has an opinion different than yours they are just called haters? That's messed up. I sure hope your wife and kids never have a different opinion than yours. I didn't see any hate here just different opinions on BMW's focus and discussion.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #37
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Dang! You lost me at "haters!" What is this if someone has an opinion different than yours they are just called haters? That's messed up. I sure hope your wife and kids never have a different opinion than yours. I didn't see any hate here just different opinions on BMW's focus and discussion.
I found no offence with the "haters" comment especially from a guy who I'm assuming is 57.

09-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #38
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I found no offence with the "haters" comment especially from a guy who I'm assuming is 57.

235/57 = 4.12

4.12/pi (3.14) = 1.31

1.31 x 57 = 74.67

74.67 x 3.14 = 235 (roughly...lol)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #39
Ritz42
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 & R56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope View Post
My brother has an m235i and he and I both agree the 1M is more raw and visceral

All said and done they're both great cars.
So I guess I'll chime in. Cope is my brother. He has a lovely base VO 1m, and I have a reasonably loaded (Tech, premium, HK, no sun roof, LSD) AW m235i. He's driven my car a bit, and I've driven his car quite a lot. I've also driven both cars back to back on several occasions. Honestly, for driving on the street, either to work, or for some fun, they aren't that different. The 1m is a bit faster, and the suspension is a bit firmer sure, but it's not a wide gap. That said, the 1m is by far my favorite car of all time, and one of the best cars I've ever driven. It's not because it's "raw" or "visceral", I really think people on this forum use those words way to much to describe what is a seriously well composed car.

If I had to pick a car, of the two, Cope's or mine, to drive everyday is tough though. And who wouldn't want to have that problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #40
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz42 View Post
That said, the 1m is by far my favorite car of all time, and one of the best cars I've ever driven. It's not because it's "raw" or "visceral", I really think people on this forum use those words way to much to describe what is a seriously well composed car.
Damn, and I was seriously thinking about getting one, but if it's not "raw" or "visceral", forget it then.
      09-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #41
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Damn, and I was seriously thinking about getting one, but if it's not "raw" or "visceral", forget it then.
I think despite dislikes the m235i is the best BMW you can buy right now. It can't be ignored. If my current zhp blew up today I would most likely go with 235i unless 1M prices came down. I also think the auto is really good if my knee gave out and couldn't drive a MT. I agree that raw and visceral is important because few cars are anymore but if the the 235i is a great product that we will al look back with admiration when all the cars are even softer and more gadgetized with 3 cyl supercharged turbos, front wheel drive and play station thumb steering.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #42
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I think despite dislikes the m235i is the best BMW you can buy right now. It can't be ignored. If my current zhp blew up today I would most likely go with 235i unless 1M prices came down. I also think the auto is really good if my knee gave out and couldn't drive a MT. I agree that raw and visceral is important because few cars are anymore but if the the 235i is a great product that we will al look back with admiration when all the cars are even softer and more gadgetized with 3 cyl supercharged turbos, front wheel drive and play station thumb steering.
honestly i don't see the point of the M235i. I'd much rather save up $15k and get an M3/M4. they weigh the SAME!!! the M235i is utterly pointless, IMO.

and if 'saving up $15k' isn't an option....then i'd rather just buy a gently used 135is.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #43
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Yessir the M235 is a far better DD but I'm one of those guys that enjoys being abused by cars and women. Intervertebral disc herniation?
Yeah whatever. I like a rough ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #44
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
honestly i don't see the point of the M235i. I'd much rather save up $15k and get an M3/M4. they weigh the SAME!!! the M235i is utterly pointless, IMO.

and if 'saving up $15k' isn't an option....then i'd rather just buy a gently used 135is.
Everytime I think about the weight of the M235 I get mad as hell....there is no reason that car should be over 3500 lbs. How are they going to get the M2 under that? Anyone dreaming of a sub 3300 lb weight for the M2 will be sorely disappointed...I am one of them. 3200lb with 380hp would be great, but......
Appreciate 0