BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #67
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Just wondering if anyone already used the connection points located behind the rear seats. I assume these are dedicated fixing points for anchoring a top-tether strap of a child seat (to help preventing the child seat with child from rotating forward during an impact). Or, less probable, maybe for an eventual sun protection screen, if ever made available for the 1M by BMW or after-market ?

Name:  TopTether.jpg
Views: 16070
Size:  8.5 KB
Name:  Hook_1M.jpg
Views: 16351
Size:  35.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #68
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
As far as hidden gems are concerns, i think we should mention the US fog light mod for the back tail lamps. i performed that light modification and it works very well.
Wait... You mean that in the US model when you press the fog light button only the front fog lights turn on???

Wtf?! That is retarded...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:45 AM   #69
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
Wait... You mean that in the US model when you press the fog light button only the front fog lights turn on???
Just out of curiosity... where exactly are the front fog lights in a 1M?
      02-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #70
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No idea, I haven't looked for them or tried them because I haven't needed to since I got the car a month ago (we're having the kind of "winter" in California this year that probably would make the rest of the northern hemisphere jealous if I described it ). But I did read in the doc about the fog light button so I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that it does something and now I read there that in the US it does not switch off the back fog light even though it's all wired and there is even a light bulb in place.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #71
JFT
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

For me a novelty was the hill assist function that I never had in any of my cars before. When standing still uphill and release the brake the car remains stationary. Amazing!! I'm sure it's not 1M specific, but a very helpful little thing.

Also, having had my 1M for a month now, I have to say it's the car that has won my heart more than anything I've driven before. I come out of a 997RS and an F430 F1 Coupe, and whereas they may be faster, neither has given me the same joy. I was scared of the 997 RS and it wasn't practical in our climate and it spit me off the road more than once on track. The 430 was friendlier but I felt like an xxx driving it through the city and it was the worst depreciating purchase done by anyone I know. The 1M, on the other hand, is huge fun, won't cost me a penny (even if it wasn't a company car) and gives me more joy than both combined! We are very, very lucky to own them! )
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00
      02-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #72
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Quote:
No idea, I haven't looked for them or tried them because I haven't needed to since I got the car a month ago (we're having the kind of "winter" in California this year that probably would make the rest of the northern hemisphere jealous if I described it ). But I did read in the doc about the fog light button so I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that it does something and now I read there that in the US it does not switch off the back fog light even though it's all wired and there is even a light bulb in place.
On the 135 and 1M, the car is already wired for rear fogs, they just can't be enabled unless you 1) buy a euro switch or 2) mod your existing switch.

Having both a 135 and 1M, I did both options, obviously modding was cheaper but more stealthy as the standard headlight switch doesn't have a fog switch symbol on it.

Check out my DIY at:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610664
      02-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #73
elro
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Glacier Silver

I recently installed a Recaro ProSport Seat and used the tether anchor that you mention. Using this anchor point is a must for front facing car seats given that the lower LATCH anchors wont prevent the forward movement of the top part of the Car Seat.
The black Recaro ProSport looks good in the car by the way....
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #74
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
For turning on the front fog lights: check for the button next to the one for opening the sunroof. If you want to activate these handsfree: press the voice command button on the steering wheel and say the second password of the movie "Eyes Wide Shut".
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #75
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
For turning on the front fog lights: check for the button next to the one for opening the sunroof. If you want to activate these handsfree: press the voice command button on the steering wheel and say the second password of the movie "Eyes Wide Shut".
Cruel but funny
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #76
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

The US model 1M and 135 do not have front fog lights. The tail lights do however have bulbs that function as rear fog lights, but the US models do not have the button next to the headlight switch to activate these rear fog lights. The simple solution was to order and install the European switch module that includes the button for the rear fogs.

My guess why this function wasn't included in the US model is that Americans do not seem to understand how to or when to use rear fog lights. I see Audis driving around here all the time with one taillight much brighter than the other because the driver turned on the rear fog light, probably without knowing it. They probably see the two buttons on the dash and think one is for the left front fog light and the other is for the right front fog light which wouldn't make much sense anyway. It seems that people around where I live drive with their front fog lights on all the time too, which is also unnecessary.
      02-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #77
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
The simple solution was to order and install the European switch module that includes the button for the rear fogs.
No need to even buy the Euro switch, just cut the tabs on the US one.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #78
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
That's cool. I wasn't aware you could do that.
      02-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #79
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
That's cool. I wasn't aware you could do that.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610664
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #80
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Answering my own questions:

So I did look for the fog light switch in the car this morning, and indeed as many have pointed out already, there is NO switch for fog lights in the 1M.

This is despite the fact that the car's documentation mentions the switch (!). So much for me RTFM and assuming the car has what's described in the doc (just like the high beam assist BTW).

I'm 'WTF'ing as to why:
- fog lights are disabled for the US
- They are still mentioned in the docs (I guess that's because the doc writers forgot to delete the mention of those fog lights when doing the US edition of the doc)

Answering my other question (another thing I tried this morning), when you have TC turned all the way off, the M button is still active, even though for some reason in that mode it does not show the 'sport' text in the display in that mode, you can 'feel' the M throttle mapping but you have no visual indication of it being active or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #81
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Answering my own questions:

So I did look for the fog light switch in the car this morning, and indeed as many have pointed out already, there is NO switch for fog lights in the 1M.

This is despite the fact that the car's documentation mentions the switch (!). So much for me RTFM and assuming the car has what's described in the doc (just like the high beam assist BTW).
Not sure if I am not understanding you but I just pulled my switch out and everything is there. I cant confirm that it works because I have to cut the tabs to make the buttons functional, but internally it appears everything is there for it to work.

Ill go ahead and cut the tabs and see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #82
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

All I am saying is that you read the car's 1 series manual and it tells you about the fog light switch, where it is and how to use it and then you look at the actual lights control switch cluster in the car and the fog light button is effectively not there (as in there's the black plastic cover but no sign on it and you can't physically push it in).

Now, I can totally believe the fact that actually the switch is there and you just need to cut the tabs to make it functional as described in the linked posts. Which is totally great and I will probably do it soon (we do get our share of fog at times in northern california ... in summer ).

All signs point out to the fact that for some (stupid) legal reason some places in the US have outlawed fog lights, and so when making the US version of the car they just 'disabled' the fog light function by putting in the plastic button with the tabs so you can't press it (and didn't print the fog light logo on the switch).

And then they forgot to delete the part of the documentation describing the fog lights when editing it for the US version.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #83
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
All I am saying is that you read the car's 1 series manual and it tells you about the fog light switch, where it is and how to use it and then you look at the actual lights control switch cluster in the car and the fog light button is effectively not there (as in there's the black plastic cover but no sign on it and you can't physically push it in).

Now, I can totally believe the fact that actually the switch is there and you just need to cut the tabs to make it functional as described in the linked posts. Which is totally great and I will probably do it soon (we do get our share of fog at times in northern california ... in summer ).

All signs point out to the fact that for some (stupid) legal reason some places in the US have outlawed fog lights, and so when making the US version of the car they just 'disabled' the fog light function by putting in the plastic button with the tabs so you can't press it (and didn't print the fog light logo on the switch).

And then they forgot to delete the part of the documentation describing the fog lights when editing it for the US version.
Got it, ya the button is blank and inoperable. Internals however are there, I have it in pieces in front of me.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #84
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

the fog switch works. I did it on mine, took me 10 mins. just make sure you cut all of the pins on the button, initially I had cut only 2 on the outside, it worked but was hard to press on, I figured out there is an extra pin in the in between buttons section, found it, cut it, and now it works like it should, smoooooth
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #85
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova

+ 1, I just Dremeled the tabs off for the read fog mod on my 1M, but I wouldn't call it easy. It seemed a lot quicker/simpler on the M3. The tutorial links are very helpful!
      02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #86
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT View Post
For me a novelty was the hill assist function that I never had in any of my cars before. When standing still uphill and release the brake the car remains stationary. Amazing!! I'm sure it's not 1M specific, but a very helpful little thing.
I'm dating myself here, but I bought my first car in 1964, a 1957 Studebaker (with a flathead six and three-speed on the floor), and it had the hill-hold function.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #87
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
I'm dating myself here, but I bought my first car in 1964, a 1957 Studebaker (with a flathead six and three-speed on the floor), and it had the hill-hold function.
Was also a feature on my M3 SMGII (I believe it was optional). However had to operate it manually by pulling the left paddle for a moment. With the 1M it's an automatic standard feature: release the brake on a slope and the car holds for a moment before rolling back: enough time to switch your right foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal. An improvement that it kicks in automatically: no manual mistakes possible anymore.

So, although the 1M is a "manual" ...it's also partially an "automatic".

Cool feature indeed.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #88
pjtoby
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
1998 BMW Z3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Was also a feature on my M3 SMGII (I believe it was optional). However had to operate it manually by pulling the left paddle for a moment. With the 1M it's an automatic standard feature: release the brake on a slope and the car holds for a moment before rolling back: enough time to switch your right foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal. An improvement that it kicks in automatically: no manual mistakes possible anymore.

So, although the 1M is a "manual" ...it's also partially an "automatic".

Cool feature indeed.
I noticed this one as well! Great feature!
Appreciate 0