BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Martin
Registered
Rep
Drives: nothing special

Lightbulb E87 120i as Trackcar - some thought - input needed!

I'm posting this as my first post, so be gentle with me...

Right now I'm looking for a new trackday car which should make more sense than other decisions I've made in past. I had a fairly lightweight and underpowered RWD car (sub 1000kg / 145bhp) and was really happy with it. I like the way the car goes around the corner and this is what it is about on the track.

---

The E30 318is as a good alternative isn't that easy to get anymore. The car is fairly rare and absolutly overpaid now! E30 M3 is even worse, but would be a cool car. The successor 318is E36 became also very rare and I'm not a big fan of the E36 plattform, the guys driving this car are somehow a bit special... This leads to another idea... 120i(S)

---

The main areas are pretty good covered, imho. Brakes can be taken form the Bmw Performance Package or the 35i. Suspension can be mixed with parts from the 1M and CoilOvers will be a must have. LSD isn't a problem and finaldrives can be mixed. But the big problems imho are:

- Engine/Drivetrain
Are there any aftermarket parts avilable for the engine?
Goal is not a 280bhp STW engine just a little rev up to makes the engine more crisp and more revhappy...

How durable is the engine?

- Electronics
As soon as you remove 2 - 3 components (climacontrol, airbags eg) - Will it become an incontrolable mess, or did anyone already similar things?
What can be thrown out without messing the car up?

Did anyone have the same idea? 4banger makes good balance

Thanks guys!
Martin
Appreciate 0