BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
jabb0r
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Weird behavior

This is a strange one. Hope someone can figure it out.

I have a 2008 128i. Several days ago I noticed that the doors were automatically locking at 15 mph. Now, I know that's standard behavior on many cars but my car has NEVER done this.

Now, the clues. First, my car is originally from Germany, brought back by a US service member. The car hasn't been to the dealership for months, but I did have a punctured tire last week. Took it to Discount where they fixed it for free (awesome). Also, the clock is now displaying 24h time rather than 12h. Might be unrelated, but I also just got the warning on the dash about a fault from one of the lights. Not sure which since they all seem to be functioning.

Of course, I can reset the clock to 12h no problem, BUT as far as I know, there's no setting to toggle the locking at 15 mph. I don't really mind it, but I'm very curious how it could have changed. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabb0r View Post
This is a strange one. Hope someone can figure it out.

I have a 2008 128i. Several days ago I noticed that the doors were automatically locking at 15 mph. Now, I know that's standard behavior on many cars but my car has NEVER done this.

Now, the clues. First, my car is originally from Germany, brought back by a US service member. The car hasn't been to the dealership for months, but I did have a punctured tire last week. Took it to Discount where they fixed it for free (awesome). Also, the clock is now displaying 24h time rather than 12h. Might be unrelated, but I also just got the warning on the dash about a fault from one of the lights. Not sure which since they all seem to be functioning.

Of course, I can reset the clock to 12h no problem, BUT as far as I know, there's no setting to toggle the locking at 15 mph. I don't really mind it, but I'm very curious how it could have changed. Any ideas?
It's an optional setting you can change for the clock and lock, and some other things like how many blinks on the turn signal lane change vs clicking the lever for right/left, unlock the driver door only or both with the fob button, etc...

It's controlled by the left stalk where you can change the dash display for avg MPG, avg MPH, etc... You can either turn the auto lock on or off. I don't recall that you can select at what MPH it will lock, only if it locks of not.
As you've probably discovered, once the auto lock activates, when you want to exit the car you have to pull on the door release lever twice, once to unlock the lock and again to open the door.
I'm not positive, but if you choose to not have auto lock engage, then you can open the door with just one pull of the door lever.

The guys at the tire place probably fumbled around with the settings as they were trying to figure out how to reset the TPMS.
You select different setting with the up/down toggle, and use the button at at the end of the stalk to alter the options.
There are a number of options you can select.
If you have the manual it's in there.
If not, I think the manual is available at the BMWUSA web site.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Are those settings saved on the key fob? Maybe you grabbed the other key.

E82 Gone. 2013 JKUR on order
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post
I was about to say that. Those settings, and seat/mirror settings, triple blink etc are saved on the fob.

You could've grabbed the other key.

Also maybe you should check the owners manual, because all of this stuff is in it.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
SteDevote
Recovered M3 User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i Coupe

Talking

Quote:
Yes they are!
      07-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
jabb0r
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Aha! I bet this is it. I switched key fobs last week. I'll do a test when I get home. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
KinoBoom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Appreciate 0