BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #23
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS1 View Post
I'm considering getting a preowned 135i vert and constantly see in this forum how bad and unreliable the engine is and that everyone seems to be returning them if on lease. Are they really that bad? not recommended to buy resale?
I'm hoping not since there's really nothing else on the market that compares to it

Thanks.
In order- No and no.

Enjoy your E88
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #24
Prof T
COACH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135 conv, 2009 M3

Over 15,000 and not one problem. Just a free: oil change, seatbelt tension recall and wipers. Met another owner of a 2009 135 with 48,000 and no problems at a BMW event. One excellent car. Don't believe the 1%'ers that whine. Pretty easy car to sell based on low supply and above average demand. Just check the low number of used ones for sale. Would buy another N54 in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #25
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Just make sure the previous owner did not service the car while he had a tune.. if the car was flagged as tuner you will have some rough time with warranty.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #26
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Depends on which model HPFP is in the car. BMW seems to have got it straightened out now so even if the car has an old one that fails BMW will replace for free. The other common fail that affected the Consumer Reports is the center rear brake light. They kept cracking at an alarming rate until they figured out a new mounting. I'm on light #3, but it's been good for about 2 years now.
      05-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #27
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep
Drives: A4 for now, Miata for fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
the 135i engine is rock solid... its the crappy HPFP that plagues BMW's 35i engines

Sadly that engine comes to a grinding crawl when the HPFP fails.

The car is 100% reliable when it isn't broken!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #28
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

Best car value/ performance/ package for the money...

BUT i feel like i bought something made in China.. Continuos 'mystery issues' that the dealer can hear but not find to fix, fuel pump, windows, tail light and more!

I am enjoying it now that its working.. but gees if it was finished off like a Benz i would be happier.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #29
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

My wife has a 09 135 VERT and loves it. I only get to drive it to the gas station for her. It is a great vehicle. We never had a problem with the Pump, but they replaced it anyway last month with the Software. Very happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #30
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Finished off like a Benz? Most of their "lower end" cars have such a cheesy interior. I was looking at an E55 AMG the other day while I was waiting for this guy's friend that is looking at my car(inspection) for peace of mind once he bought it. That interior was soo cheesy, and it had the shapes of something you'd find in a Geo Metro. If you ask me, BMW gets interior right for the most part. The pictures of the interior make it look much nicer, but in person, with use, makes it look terrible. I've never been a fan of the MB interior and there are very few MB interiors I like.

Last edited by Vectors2final; 05-17-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #31
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Every car has some issues.. there is no perfect car..

But in General the 135 is a GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT FUN CAR..well made and high quality standards..

HPFP is considered the major issue. it will not break everyday or every week, on average you will replace it once or twice in the first 50K miles but the question is when and where it will fail.. it might be as simple as you just dirve it to the dealer in 10 minutes or you might be 200 miles away from home..

Most people who reported HPFP they mentioned that the engine goes to limp mode and the ECU throw missfire error code. if you turned off the car then on again it will work with no problem and you can drive it normally (no limp mode) as long as you do not punch it. This happened to me when my car went into limp mode on the highway, so i stooped got my BT cable and checked the ECU and i saw HPFP error codes and some injectors missfire codes. I started the car again no issues and i drove it back to the dealer 50 miles from West palm beach to Miami.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #32
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbradley View Post
It is rated as the worst BMW to own: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...-by-brand.html

All cars have problems, the x35i engine seems to have been foisted on the public before it was fully baked. The recalls are fixing it, but it is still a crapshoot. Some on here have xx,000 miles with no issues, others have gone through multiple HPFPs along with myriad other problems.

IMO I would not buy the 135i.
I agree that why my next car will be a 1M. Hahaha.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #33
GO135i007
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Alpine/Coral

I love this car more than any other car that I've owned thus far and I've owned several decent sports cars that have come out in the last several years.

-VW GTi
-Evo IX
-350Z
-G35
-GTO
-S2000
-E46 M3

That said, I don't think I want to keep this car past the warranty period. It worries me that my tail light just went out for no reason yesterday and without warranty that would cost me several hundred dollars and that's not including the install. I've had several other recalls done under warranty as well that would have cost me a pretty penny. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next year when my warranty runs out though. There is no other car in the same price range that I can think of I'd like to drive.
      05-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #34
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If you look closer, that consumer reports is based off of ONE model year. One... That's a great example on how to judge a car, especially it's debut.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #35
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO135i007 View Post
I love this car more than any other car that I've owned thus far and I've owned several decent sports cars that have come out in the last several years.

-VW GTi
-Evo IX
-350Z
-G35
-GTO
-S2000
-E46 M3

That said, I don't think I want to keep this car past the warranty period. It worries me that my tail light just went out for no reason yesterday and without warranty that would cost me several hundred dollars and that's not including the install. I've had several other recalls done under warranty as well that would have cost me a pretty penny. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next year when my warranty runs out though. There is no other car in the same price range that I can think of I'd like to drive.
in full agreement. great car with a bumper to bumper warranty. My car has had about as many repairs in 1 year as my other bmws have had in 8 years. i mean brakes, and control arm bushings in cars with 60-80k miles, but not 6 trips to dealer in the first 6 mo i had the car...

Mine will be forsale with 45-48k miles and i'll replace it with probably another n54 or n55, but again under warranty.
      05-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #36
bikeboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: l

I feel compelled to chime in here, as a 100+ car owner. That's right, just over 100 cars in my 50 years!

I have had a genuine 'mix' of brands, models and trucks. I can honestly say that last week I sold my special ordered 2007 SHELBY GT500 Mustang with 500 HP and chose to keep my special ordered '1' series over it, because of a few varying reasons, but not withstanding the fact that it is the single most exhillerating car I've ever owned, to drive!!

If you just go test drive one you will NOT be disappointed! Stay clear of the 128 from a true performance point of contention. The 128 has a much less agressive look, sound and feel. I toyed with just doing a 128 and modding it, in the beginning. That would have been a stellar mistake! The 135 is a beast in sheeps clothing!! It continues to put a smile on my face each and everytime I fire it up and back out into the sunlight!!

Cheers

Don't be scared...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #37
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

100? Damn, that's aweome!

I'm hitting 24 and about to have #8... I've got work to do
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #38
bikeboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
100? Damn, that's aweome!

I'm hitting 24 and about to have #8... I've got work to do
Hahahaha...When I was 24 I remember having 4 cars at a time...I was always a parts guy back in the day. Sooooo, I had the ability to get parts at cost and buy cars from people that were under water and needed to get out of them with 'needed' repairs. I'm talking $hitty cars...$1500 cars, back then. You know, one needs a fuel pump, and they can't figure it out, so they advertise cheap on Auto Trader to dump it...I go look and determine that's the issue and buy it, fix it and have it sold in a few weeks or so. I also wrenched myself, so nothing was out of the question. At one time I had 6 cars! My neighbors in the apartment complex I was living in at the time, were flamed at me!! But, you know what...I fixed their cars on the cheap to help keep them 'quiet'!!

It's all good!

Funny too...not to jack this thread up here any more...but, I will just say this. I have been raised a lifelong Ford guy. I have had lots of Mustangs and some Vettes too, but this 135 totally surpasses anything the Americans offer for the dough. Both quality, design and HP for the buck!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #39
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

trust me, we all love this car, regardless of the problems, its an addiction that we cannot put down.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #40
Prof T
COACH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135 conv, 2009 M3

Yes,
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #41
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i

15 months old - 10,600 miles - lots of problems.

and, i love this car. really love it!
      05-19-2011, 05:06 AM   #42
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

No problems here, just did all the voluntary recalls... so far, 5 on my vehicle. Aside from the HPFP issue, I think the general consensus is that the car works.

The unlocked performance of the car is what can be amazing. 135i's took 1st and 3rd of 16 (AA category) in last week's GGCBMWCCA AutoX. Both of us have some significant mods (power, suspension, wheels), but the point is that the car has potential for greatness.

Personally, if I was in the market for a new car, I'd probably turn to another 135... or the 1M... or a Lotus Exige (can't help it, that car is glorious). The 1 is that good.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #43
Ghostbear
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135is 09

One other thing you should keep in mind, is that most of the guys that are very happy with their choice will not post endless "this is best car ever" stories.
If something is wrong on the other hand you might want to let off a little bit of steam.

I bought an VW Polo 6r GTI to lessen the load I put on the 135 as I put somewhere in the region of 47000 miles in two years on it. And will continue to put this mileage on the daily driver.

In germany we have plates that are valid only during summer so i had to wait until may to drive the coupe again. But the first drive was like this until the engine was warm then after stepping on it on the autobahn and after returning home.

The Car is still making my heart race just by revving at the traffic lights.

it is the essence you feel while driving.

The only negative aspect you will start to drive more aggressively than you ever thought you will drive. Because the herd of mustangs under the hood want to roam free.

If there is one thing that I would differently - then it would be getting DKG/DCT if it would have been made available for the n54.

One further thing to be aware of the car makes you work while driving fast.
Audi S3, RS3, TTRS are easier to drive fast. But who wants easy.

If you do not like the clothes i.e chassis you can also head for the Morgan Eva GT http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/carpag.../evagtcar.html
      05-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #44
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbradley View Post
It is rated as the worst BMW to own: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...-by-brand.html

All cars have problems, the x35i engine seems to have been foisted on the public before it was fully baked. The recalls are fixing it, but it is still a crapshoot. Some on here have xx,000 miles with no issues, others have gone through multiple HPFPs along with myriad other problems.

IMO I would not buy the 135i.

As opposed to the A4? Why did you buy that with the sludge problems or coil pack issue?

@OP: 55,000miles no major problems...just minor: rear taillight seal- warranty, recall, seatbelt tensioner - recall, 3rd brakelight - recall
Still on original HPFP and still running strong! (even with multiple tunes, and various other upgrades)
Appreciate 0