BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

If it isn't broke don't fix it VS. Take the best and make it better...

Hi all,

New proud owner of 2013 135is. Love it. It has the factory "extra" tune for 320HP and 317TQ.

Do I leave it alone, or add a CAI, larger IC, or X? I'm guessing that if I use a flash/piggyback that I would be effectively starting at 300HP because I'd be bypassing the BMW flash?

Thanks and regards,

Jim
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Auto

Depends if you enjoy your warranty. I always have been considering doing things to mine but I do not want to have them for any reason not cover something due to a tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftmeister View Post
Hi all,

New proud owner of 2013 135is. Love it. It has the factory "extra" tune for 320HP and 317TQ.

Do I leave it alone, or add a CAI, larger IC, or X? I'm guessing that if I use a flash/piggyback that I would be effectively starting at 300HP because I'd be bypassing the BMW flash?

Thanks and regards,

Jim
Hey Jim,

Congrats on the new car! We need to see pictures though! Or at least know what color combo/options and stuff you got.

Obviously, it will just be a personal choice on messing with anything and like whitebimmer said, how important is the warranty to you. Some of us feel they're plenty fast and more power than you'll ever need at 320 horsies. A few people have gone the JB4 route or dinan stage 2 or 3 route on their IS and a lot of people have been concerned about what it'd do if you have the PPK on. I don't know if it overwrites it or how it exactly affects it, but I don't believe it quite "stacks" them. One of the forum sponsors/vendors put a JB4 on a 135is if you can find that thread and everyone was asking the same question.

You could always just go with upgraded bolt ons though like a better chargepipe and intercooler and not mess with the software, or if you have warranty concerns, you could get the dinan stage 2 software or stage 3 with bolt ons and they'll cover/assume the BMW full warranty for 4 yr/50k.

Mostly though everybody will yell at you to post pictures. =P
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Tune. Google is your friend.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Welcome!!
Since your car is still under warranty, i recommend you do upgrades that can easily be uninstalled when needed.
Start with a tune and intake (from my experience , dealerships are okay with aftermarket intakes ).

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Auto

I am trying to go down the road of being FBO before I really play with a tune. I don't know why, I just hear stories of things going wrong and people asking for help trying to diagnose it and they almost always have a stage something or jb4 or whatever. I figure change some of the stock parts with better parts and see what I like. I just got an exhaust and mids and it is keeping me happy for the mean time. Doesn't really do anything for performance but it sounds like it does!

These cars are nice and fast already and I would rather spend the money on future repairs and preventive maintenance so I can have reliability over anything. Reliability is my favorite mod!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebimmer09 View Post
I am trying to go down the road of being FBO before I really play with a tune. I don't know why, I just hear stories of things going wrong and people asking for help trying to diagnose it and they almost always have a stage something or jb4 or whatever. I figure change some of the stock parts with better parts and see what I like. I just got an exhaust and mids and it is keeping me happy for the mean time. Doesn't really do anything for performance but it sounds like it does!

These cars are nice and fast already and I would rather spend the money on future repairs and preventive maintenance so I can have reliability over anything. Reliability is my favorite mod!
There is 0 reason to have a FBO car running stock boost, timing, etc. Just no reason at all, you'd be throwing money away.

Your goal shouldn't be a set of parts, it should be a power figure, trap speed, something results oriented. Then work backwards from there and determine what you'll need to do it.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Congratulations and welcome! How about some photos and more details on your new ride? New/used? Price? Options? Photos?!?!

For me, the handling of the car wasn't quite up to par with the power. Step one for me was to ditch the runflats... I'm happy with the Michelin PSS. I have also installed the BMW Performance Suspension and would say THIS is the suspension the 135is should have been built with from the factory. I've thought about various tunes... Cobb isn't available for the '13 N55, Dinan is attractive but expensive, and the JB4 juicebox isn't my style from an engineering standpoint. But I'm certainly no expert... some of the others on this forum are more tuned in to cause vs. effect and cost vs. benefit when it comes to upgrades.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep

Thanks, pics.

Thanks a lot guys. I promise to get pics very soon.

The first "mod" I'll do is an oil catch can unless someone has a caution. I've been in the Subaru and MINI world (with mods) for awhile and this has always been a good first addition IMO.

I'd likely start with the BMS N55 Performance intake. Looks well built and sound. Reviews mention a few CEL incidents but vendor says no problem though. I have a code reader/resetter and I would suppose it would work with the BMW.

Intercooler would probably be next, I doubt I'd do downpipe simply because that is very hard to remove in short order and can be a long plunge into the CEL universe.

-Jim
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep

Pics thread here.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Pics thread here.
Ooh, looking good Jim! She's a stunner!

Plate is hilarious, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Suspension. If 320hp isn't enough, should have bought an M3. What good is more HP and torque if you can't lay it down.

The weak link on our cars are:
1) RFT. They suck
2) suspension.

As RickMSport said, he did the Michelin's first. I'm just waiting for mine to wear out. Then I'll look at the BMW PS and rear M3 subframe bushings next.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
Suspension. If 320hp isn't enough, should have bought an M3. What good is more HP and torque if you can't lay it down.

1) RFT. They suck
2) suspension.

As RickMSport said, he did the Michelin's first. I'm just waiting for mine to wear out. Then I'll look at the BMW PS and rear M3 subframe bushings next.
Yep, rubber sorta goes without saying.

These are RFT, but to be honest they're better than any other RFT I've used. I'll be going to the Mich SS too when these wear out. My 2003 MINI S and the Goodyears were 50lbs per corner.

(BMW PS?)

Good suggestion on the bushings. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Yep, rubber sorta goes without saying.

These are RFT, but to be honest they're better than any other RFT I've used. I'll be going to the Mich SS too when these wear out. My 2003 MINI S and the Goodyears were 50lbs per corner.

(BMW PS?)

Good suggestion on the bushings. Thanks!
The BMW PS is shorthand some use for BMW's performance suspension which a few of us recently put on and it is just divine and amazing and I can't recommend it enough. It's not hardcore enough for much track work if you were planning that, but for occasional track use and a daily driver with spirited driving it's a wonderful all in one package/kit from BMW.

They also work really well with the michelin PSS because once you switch to non-runflats it tends to expose some of the underlying weaknesses in the suspension, which was designed to be used with runflats.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post

1) RFT. They suck
2) suspension.

Why buy an m3 when you can easily modify one of these to be faster if you just want more power?

Sure the m3 will do better on a track with turns, but if you're just looking for a relatively quick daily driver, nothing wrong with modding for more power.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #16
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
The BMW PS is shorthand some use for BMW's performance suspension which a few of us recently put on and it is just divine and amazing and I can't recommend it enough. It's not hardcore enough for much track work if you were planning that, but for occasional track use and a daily driver with spirited driving it's a wonderful all in one package/kit from BMW.

They also work really well with the michelin PSS because once you switch to non-runflats it tends to expose some of the underlying weaknesses in the suspension, which was designed to be used with runflats.
Thanks Greg, $1590 for springs? Does it roughen the ride? I know that ride quality is very subjective like exhaust note is. This is a daily driver and very occasional HPDE car.

Is this the product you speak of? http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/11...NCE-SUSPENSION

Regards,

Jim
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Greg, $1590 for springs? Does it roughen the ride? I know that ride quality is very subjective like exhaust note is. This is a daily driver and very occasional HPDE car.

Is this the product you speak of? http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/11...NCE-SUSPENSION

Regards,

Jim
It's a full suspension swap so all new shocks, springs, and front sway bar. Also, that $1590 is their retail price. In real life it's more like $1200-1300 + install price. It also lowers the car a very subtle 10mm, which is not too noticeable, but does add a lil extra aggression. Me, Rick, and even EvenEsteban have had it put on in the last few months and can attest to how it really transforms the entire feel of the car. Overpar up there may get it soon, too.

You can see pics and at least my initial review of it from last month here if you so desire:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...66514&page=161
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #18
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Suspension....

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #19
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
There is 0 reason to have a FBO car running stock boost, timing, etc. Just no reason at all, you'd be throwing money away.

Your goal shouldn't be a set of parts, it should be a power figure, trap speed, something results oriented. Then work backwards from there and determine what you'll need to do it.
Right on. Very true. Of course do the supporting mods too but these things don't make the ear to ear grin until you crank up the boost.
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #20
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

For a daily suspension setup I went with rear sub bushings & rear control arms, e92 FSB and Koni yellows, I'm still on stock springs, I chose this over BMW PS because I wanted rebound adjustment, also Koni were having a sale at the time this will keep the car stock height which was important to me due to steep driveways etc. so if your looking to slightly lower your height then BMW PS is good.
      08-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #21
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C2S Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
The BMW PS... I can't recommend it enough.
I was stunned to learn the 135is didn't come with the PS - I just assumed it came with all the 'Performance' bits.

Glad to hear you like it so much. Bimmer Mag (issue #86, Nov 2009) also highly praised it on the 135i (more so than the equivalent on the 335i).

It's on my to do list.

Also, you can get it for ~$1,150 (shipped to your local dealer) from the BMW USA site. When you enter your ZIP code, the price (at least for me) drops down from $1,560.

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 08-16-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #22
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjk_glynn View Post
I was stunned to learn the 135is didn't come with the PS - I just assumed it came with all the 'Performance' bits.

Glad to hear you like it so much. Bimmer Mag (issue #86, Nov 2009) also highly praised it on the 135i (more so than the equivalent on the 335i).

It's on my to do list.

Also, you can get it for ~$1,150 (shipped to your local dealer) from the BMW USA site. When you enter your ZIP code, the price (at least for me) drops down from $1,560.

Karl.
I didn't even know the performance suspension existed til after I got the car. Few other BMW performance parts, too like the performance rotors.

The only drawback to the performance suspension is I find myself driving much faster and much more aggressively. O=) Not sure how much of that is mental and just having a lot more confidence in it, or how much of that is cause the car just feels so much tighter and better.

Weird, when I put my zip code in on the bmwusa site, it still shows the full price. What's crazy is it'll quote you install prices at dealers, too, which some in my area ranged from $1000 to one charging like $3000!!!

Either way, if and when you get around to it Karl, trust me, you won't regret it. It's a game changer.
Appreciate 0