BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Thumbs up 135 Review in AFR

There's a short review in the Financial Review today if anyone wants yet another journalist to reaffirm the wisdom of their car choice!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

its getting boring. i want to read a really negative review for a change...

top gear did a bit of an about face on the 135 didn't they. first time they drove it they thought it was the bee's knees. next time they drove it they downgraded it slightly.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Yeah the TGA second issue wasn't quite as glowing... wouldn't call it negative so much as pointed out a couple of things that were a bit annoying... and probably fair in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Yeah the TGA second issue wasn't quite as glowing... wouldn't call it negative so much as pointed out a couple of things that were a bit annoying... and probably fair in my opinion.
Usually happens the longer you own a car or the more times you drive it - bad points if any, will start to appear...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Usually happens the longer you own a car or the more times you drive it - bad points if any, will start to appear...
so true...unless, of course, you keep modifying your car so frequently that your realization of its deficiencies never quite manages to keep up.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 12:04 AM   #6
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
so true...unless, of course, you keep modifying your car so frequently that your realization of its deficiencies never quite manages to keep up.
LOL, or maybe I shouldn't be laughing as that is absolutely correct, as I can relate to that with my vert, it's highly modified and constantly being modified further all the time in most respects, not just running gear wise and that makes it a constantly changing sensation to drive and to look at for that matter :smile:

I must say in this particular case, I'm thrilled with the results of it all and have it just about exactly as I want it to be...

Can honestly say though, after having done this numerous times, I don't want to do it anymore, hopefully the next car I buy will be good enough to pretty much leavr alone, maybe just a wheel change and ecu tune - that's it, mmmmm TTS is looking good :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Check out the October 2008 issue of WHEELS if you want to read about some issues with the 135i Coupe. Specifically, the cornering grip levels are appalling compared to other performance cars. This was an empirical measurement, not some journo's seat of the pants assessment. This is something that I'll be testing out for myself once my car arrives. It's easy to do with a Performance Box! All you need is a decent-sized roundabout.
      09-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Check out the October 2008 issue of WHEELS if you want to read about some issues with the 135i Coupe. Specifically, the cornering grip levels are appalling compared to other performance cars. This was an empirical measurement, not some journo's seat of the pants assessment. This is something that I'll be testing out for myself once my car arrives. It's easy to do with a Performance Box! All you need is a decent-sized roundabout.
What was the reason, Guran? RFT's and rear suspension not up to the job?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Unless you're tracking the car I don't think you'll notice too much difference between runs flats and other performance tyres. I find their just as good as any of the other performance tyres I've had on other cars. I think people around here just like knocking RFT because it appears it's the thing to do to be accepted. I agree on the track it may be a different story, however most people are not going to track their cars.

In terms of suspension, it probably needs to be stiffened up a little compared to other performance cars however, again not too bad for normal road driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #10
earlyMLC
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
There's a short review in the Financial Review today if anyone wants yet another journalist to reaffirm the wisdom of their car choice!

Here's the article if anyone is interested,...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
What was the reason, Guran? RFT's and rear suspension not up to the job?
No reasson was given in the article, just data. But the poor grip was also seen last year on the 130i hatch, and the M3 performed extremely well under the same tests. Can only guess that it's a combination of suspension and tyres.
      09-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #12
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Same same, but lovely review nonetheless.

I like his description (of which I don't agree of course) of the 1er:

"....looking a bit like a picture of something sexy that has been squeezed up to fit a screen that's not wide enough." LOL!

To me, the 1 coupe is one of those cars that looks far far better in the metal. In pictures the above description is IMO somewhat true, but in the flesh it look far more menacing and hunkered down.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 12:46 AM   #13
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: VE Clubsport R8 LS3 6.2Ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
I think people around here just like knocking RFT because it appears it's the thing to do to be accepted. I agree on the track it may be a different story, however most people are not going to track their cars.
Bridgestone runflats = good
Dunlop runflats = crap

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 01:08 AM   #14
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

"Ugly duckling that glides like a swan" :eyebulge:

LOL now there's one I havn't heard before

Reviewers will always write up about the looks of a vehicle as well as how 'they think' it drives, performs, handles, interior kit, etc. etc. etc. but at least in the case of 'the looks' it's all subjective, so that's at least one part of any review to never take too seriously :smile:
Appreciate 0