BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

NSW BMW Club SS at the creek last Saturday

So even though I'd been a member of the club for a few years, this was the first event that I've attended. What a great day too - lots of BMWs from the old stuff all the way through to the new stuff and everyone very approachable and easy to get along with.

The day started pretty slow with the first track sessions not until around 10am. We did two 'practice' sessions before lunch to determine groupings for the sprint sessions in the afternoon.

I was pretty stoked when I placed 6th out of around 50 entrants which meant I was in group 1 with all the trailered in track specials!

The first super sprint was from a standing start with two cars at a time launching from the front straight. They did a dummy start sequence with 'go' being when the red lights went out. I was pumped to get into turn one first (my competitive nature) and launched really hard and got the jump on the guy starting from 5th. After about 1.5 laps he caught up to me and the pressure saw me out-braking myself a few times. I decided that he was faster so let him by and then tried to hold onto his tail. It was all over pretty quickly (only two flying laps) and I pulled into the pits. After a while the times were posted and I found out I did a 1.51.06 with a standing start of 1:55 for the first lap.

I went over to meet the guy I was racing (and appologise if I held him up). He was a great guy and looked really fit. I couldn't believe it when he told me that he was turning 70 this year! He really only looked like mid 50s.

The next couple of sprints we just drove out of the pits instead of the grid start. I found it hard to keep up with the old dude (he just kept on getting faster!) and also had some problems with warning lights coming on under hard braking (was actually on the standard pads for day which weren't really up to it). In the second sprint I improved my time to 1:50.57 which I was pretty happy with.

The final sprint was a bit of a shocker. I had to bum some fuel off one of the other guys as the fuel light had already come on and the pads were really on their last legs. I stuffed the 2nd-3rd change a few times and put it into 5th (does anyone else have problems with this?).

All in all had a great day and will definitely try and do some more BMW club events in the future.

click here for a link to the Natsoft results

Here are some photos from the day:
in the pits...

new helmet with custom graphics (left over stickers from the car!)

took the opportunity to throw the car on the weighbridge - 1502kg
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Brilliant write up mate. Sounds like the day was a hoot! I nearly joined myself last year but figured I'd do some trackdays first. Maybe this year..

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Great write up, thanks.

Do you know what specific warning lights you were getting? I understand high oil temps are common warnings for this car when tracked but you seem to suggest it was the braking system triggering the warnings?

Did you run standard brake fluid as well as OEM pads?

Again, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 06:12 AM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Noice Jeff... 1:50.57..Great lap time mate..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Great write up, thanks.

Do you know what specific warning lights you were getting? I understand high oil temps are common warnings for this car when tracked but you seem to suggest it was the braking system triggering the warnings?

Did you run standard brake fluid as well as OEM pads?

Again, thanks.
I know you asked Jeff, but thought I'd answer too...

I'm still on OEM pads/fluid. Have never had a warning light at the track or higher than 120 on the temp. I am wondering if I'm using too much torque and not enough revs..

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breville View Post
I am wondering if I'm using too much torque and not enough revs..
It's funny you say that. At the recent BMW training day I did at QLD raceway in the M3's, I did very little gear shifting. The limitation they placed on us was to "only use 3rd and 4th gear". I only used 4th gear on the front and back straights. Everything else could be got around in 3rd without hitting the redline. Two corners may have been better in 2nd but that wasn't allowed.

I was passenger with two other course students. I certainly don't profess to be a better driver than either (especially one of them who IMHO was very good) but I did notice they were up and back through 3rd-4th-3rd on a several short sections where they could have just simply held 3rd.

Now I don't know who was faster but that M3 engine sure as hell sounds nice above 7000 rpm. Make the most of it I say.....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I'm running RBF600 fluid. I did have (cut down) Ferodo DS2500 but they had worn out so the stock pads went back in only cause I didn't have enough time to sort out something else.

I checked the manual and found out later on that the warning light coming on was actually something to do with the 'hill hold' function being disabled.

I also had the Bavarian Technik cable logging some temps for one of the sessions so I'll have some interesting info to post up soon regarding intake / oil / coolant temps.

btw the weight was with less than a quarter of a tank of fuel so I reckon ~1540kg with a full tank.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Hammer,

Sounds like you had a great day & good times, well done.

What settings were you running on the tune? Did you get any BT logs?

Also still waiting on ET to send me that info on the semi's .. keen to do another track day in the 3er but need to get cheaper rubber.

Cheers,

S
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
swgn
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S

Your car looked sensational out on the track - especially squirming through turn 12

If you haven't seen these already, here are some shots I took of you on Saturday...

- Chris

--- Lots more photos up on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Awesome shots mate. This one doesn't look very standard to me.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbe...7618158104269/

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breville View Post
Awesome shots mate. This one doesn't look very standard to me.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbe...7618158104269/
What the ###
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Nice photos, thanks for that!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
lurker
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Nice times Jeff!!

What mods for those times. I am used to WRX times, and that is very competitive compared to fairly modified WRX/EVOs. Quick street driven WRX/EVOs get down to around 1:46-47. Some track specials get well down into the low 40s.

-- Lurker
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 04:03 AM   #14
swgn
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
Nice photos, thanks for that!
No probs, thanks for the feedback
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Bralliant as usual Jeff! You do us 1er proud.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So WAY, are you doing the VIC ATC later this month?

I won't be doing any of them this year (1st baby due the week before the NSW event). I'm holding back on some extra mods at the moment to see how things go with the new class structure as right now I'm right on the limit between 'street' and 'clubsport'.

I'll be back next year for sure though!
Appreciate 0