BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Maeiourk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Question to my fellow 1addicts :)

Tough decision.

Modifying a car, specifically the 1 series, can be very expensive. This is why I'm kinda in the middle of a tough decision in modifying my 135i, deciding whether start off with power mods, or cosmetic mods. Help?????

Question is, if you guys are going to purchase a new car / when you guys bought your new car, which route would you / did you go first?

I would want to have everything for my car, but since I'm in college right now (which happens to be a better investment than modding a car), money goes for tuition and books first, then if I have extra, I would spend it on mods.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i - 6MT SOLD

My thoughts; unless you plan on auto-x or driving events, go with cosmetic first.

Why? You're in college, the car is already quick. More go fast parts lead to tickets, insurance hikes, gas use...all which cost more money that you don't need to spend while getting your education. Cosmetic mods will get bitches (which leads to money spent too...but worth it).

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Since the car is already quick, I would look at things to help apply that power like different tires and suspension modifications. After that, then maybe consider a tune for additional power.
      01-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Since the car is already quick, I would look at things to help apply that power like different tires and suspension modifications. After that, then maybe consider a tune for additional power.
+1^^ this is my route, but this all depends on what you want, good luck bro
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post
My thoughts; unless you plan on auto-x or driving events, go with cosmetic first.

Why? You're in college, the car is already quick. More go fast parts lead to tickets, insurance hikes, gas use...all which cost more money that you don't need to spend while getting your education. Cosmetic mods will get bitches (which leads to money spent too...but worth it).
Line of the day, I may quote that in my sig if you don't mind

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
TwinTurboed
Turbo Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

The car is plenty fast, if you do cosmetic mods, you will get to enjoy them everyday by just looking at the car. Performance mods, you can't punch it everytime, it can lead to tickets or jail time if you do something insane on public roads. If you are not really tracking the car, I don't see the point in doing performance mods, as you can't fully utilize the extra power on public roads. As a matter of fact, you can't fully utilize the power of the stock car on public roads!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Bro I got a new 1er in the summer after graduating college.
Get a suspension upgrade. Do some DIY cheap mods like black grills or debadge for a cleaner look.
Low and clean like the other poster mention gets bitches. And bitches are the best.

But don't slam it like a mkIV GTI. Glad I didn't go that route with mine.
      01-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Xtian
Illuminated
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

The best mod ever is the 10-cd changer in the trunk.

XTN

-------------------
2012 135i // MSport // 1800 miles and counting

Last edited by Xtian; 01-11-2013 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: add sig.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & F85 X5M

Garage List
cosmetic

AW F10 ///M5
AW F85 X5///M
BootMode3 STG 2///Project-Gamma Intakes///ActiveAutowerke DPs///Maxton-Design Body Kit
@MeisterAutosport @RatedMClub @RatedMRally
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Blk grills angel eyes wheels a BMW perf trunk spoiler or replica and it will look like a whole new car. And unless you spend a tun on wheels you can do all that for under 2gs. Even cheaper if you paint your own grills or get a replica spoiler. Also check the for sale threads. You can find all this stuff I just mentioned for decent prices.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I think CD changers are obsolete. You can have 100 CDs or more of music available electronically. I've only done tires when I needed them and cosmetic stuff so far. My car is a 128i and I think it's adequate. It will probably get a Magnaflow exhaust and possibly an intake but I'm not in a rush. tinted windows will probably come first (for lower temp in the summer mostly).

Jim
      01-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
Got_///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed View Post
Blk grills angel eyes wheels a BMW perf trunk spoiler or replica and it will look like a whole new car. And unless you spend a tun on wheels you can do all that for under 2gs. Even cheaper if you paint your own grills or get a replica spoiler. Also check the for sale threads. You can find all this stuff I just mentioned for decent prices.
I swear I had the hardest time reading this.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_///M View Post
I still dunno what they said... My vote is cosmetic. Not sure how much more HP you can really get out of these anyway. They are already really fast. IF you are targeting like 10 hp then forget power altogether. Just leaves more money for mods. MODS MODS I LUVS ME MODS HA HA HA HAHA HA...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
frenziedpace
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
I like this route.
The tire part is important.

I think as you drive it stock for a while you will start to realize what is important to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #15
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_///M
Quote:
I was writing that from my phone so it was super short hand. Should have actually read it before posting. I was basically saying go cosmetic with black grills a BMW performance replica spoiler new angel eyes and a set of decent wheels and the car will look 10 times better

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #16
Xcution
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i mSport

I am split here man...I mean cosmetics and performance are both great. Depends on what you want to do with cosmetics. I would recommend getting at least JB4. Then performance grills/black lines. Those where the main things for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #17
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I'd go with suspension/cosmetic mods first. What school are you going to? I'm going to Nova up in Davie.

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
Maeiourk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post

Made my day today. It is true though. Car is only going to be daily driven, at least for now, so might as well go cosmetics.

Quote:
Tires is next on my list. Current tires is almost worn out. What tires would you recommend? I've searched the forums, I couldn't decide which one, but I'm kinda leaning towards PSS. It is expensive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brown135 View Post
The car is plenty fast, if you do cosmetic mods, you will get to enjoy them everyday by just looking at the car. Performance mods, you can't punch it everytime, it can lead to tickets or jail time if you do something insane on public roads. If you are not really tracking the car, I don't see the point in doing performance mods, as you can't fully utilize the extra power on public roads. As a matter of fact, you can't fully utilize the power of the stock car on public roads!
Yep, I love looking at it every day. It makes me want to drive it every single day, even if I don't have plans to go anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I think CD changers are obsolete. You can have 100 CDs or more of music available electronically. I've only done tires when I needed them and cosmetic stuff so far. My car is a 128i and I think it's adequate. It will probably get a Magnaflow exhaust and possibly an intake but I'm not in a rush. tinted windows will probably come first (for lower temp in the summer mostly).

Jim
Ya, I get my music from my iPhone. So CD changers are kinda useless, at least for me. Do you consider the exhaust as a cosmetic mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Bro I got a new 1er in the summer after graduating college.
Get a suspension upgrade. Do some DIY cheap mods like black grills or debadge for a cleaner look.
Low and clean like the other poster mention gets bitches. And bitches are the best.

But don't slam it like a mkIV GTI. Glad I didn't go that route with mine.
I don't like slammed cars so I would never ever slam mine. I mean, what's the point of upgrading the suspension if you're just going to slam it. Upgrading the suspension means you want to improve the handling etc.. isn't? That's why I don't get some people who likes to slam their car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
I'd go with suspension/cosmetic mods first. What school are you going to? I'm going to Nova up in Davie.
I currently go to FIU/MDC, finishing my prerequisites. NSU/UF in the next few years for Pharmacy School.

Thank you for replying guys!

Also, I forgot to mention. I kinda have some cosmetic mods already, such as the BMW Performance Spoiler, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, and BMW Performance Black Grille. My car came with it when I bought it from the dealer. Then recently, I added an Active Autowerke Performance Tune, I just couldn't pass up a 90% off deal. Plus an Active Autowerke Charge Pipe, because I heard that the charge pipe for the N55 is prone to cracking, etc..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #19
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Sell it, buy a 2000 Honda civic and focus on school.

If you can't do that, buy a COBB AP and flash it. Best $895 you'll have ever spent.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtian
The best mod ever is the 10-cd changer in the trunk.

XTN

-------------------
2012 135i // MSport // 1800 miles and counting
What are CDs???
      01-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Best bang for your buck is jb4 no doubt about it. If you're on a really tight budget then get JB+. Other than that just save your money.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeiourk View Post
Tires is next on my list. Current tires is almost worn out. What tires would you recommend? I've searched the forums, I couldn't decide which one, but I'm kinda leaning towards PSS. It is expensive though.
I'm currently running Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs and love them (non-runflat). They offer loads of grip and an improved ride over the old run flat tires. After swapping them out, it is easy to notice that the suspension was definitely tuned for run flat tires.