BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #133
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlueStreakx View Post
how the car behaves specifically on turn 4. As a reminder, turn 4 is a very high speed turn /w entry at 190KM/h and throttle held wide open the entire time. The entire turn has a massive elevation drop that makes the rear end step out about 12" despite trying to keep the weight on the rear with the throttle; this helps tuck the front end in nicely. If I were to be picky, it could stand to tuck in some more but I have my own pucker factor to deal with. There is zero run off at that turn and an off track experience there will have the car being written off at a minimum.
#carboner That sounds like everything I have ever wanted. I really want to get to MoSport, and Mont Tremblant.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #134
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
#carboner That sounds like everything I have ever wanted. I really want to get to MoSport, and Mont Tremblant.
It definitely feels wild and like it shouldn't be possible, that's for sure.

Tremblant is another place I'd like to hit up as well. Would be nice to stay there for a few nights as it's beautiful there.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #135
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Picked up some used (but not abused) Hankook Z214s to run in the Unlimited Class at CSCS. CSCS is a local time attack group that is very much like GridLife classing but at our smaller tracks.

My car is better classed for "Super Street" (Track Mod in GridLife speak) but we need to run a spec tire purchased from a specific local vendor. I don't want to do that at this point.

Finally, I made some progress in the front overfender molding. If I were paying someone to mold my fenders, I'd be very disappointed in the workmanship. At best, I'd give it a 7/10 but racecar (and cheap guy. haha). This ain't no show car...

I should have the front of the car wrapped by next weekend. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #136
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Aaannnndd the front end is done.

Rear should be complete next weekend. Hoping to have the tail lights and trunk/wing mounted as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #137
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Exterior is almost done. Only thing left to wrap is the sunroof block off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #138
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Been a while!

Ran into a snag with the universal rear flares and had to ditch them in favour of the N5Tuner units. The universal flare setup required me to limit suspension travel by 2-3" which was no bueno for performance and safety.

Anywho, I dropped off the car at the shop on May 5th to have some work finalized. Namely:
- Fluid changes... engine oil, power steering, transmission, diff
- Alignment
- Rear H&R swaybar install. I reinstalled the stock one myself.

Picked the car up on May 16th and took it to the dyno. Results below.

Track testing on May 18th at Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga showed that the car was faster than it has ever been. Unfortunately, the car (or me!) should be quicker and I have been thinking of ways to make it so.
Attached Images

Last edited by xBlueStreakx; 05-22-2018 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2018, 12:42 AM   #139
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Been a while!

Ran into a snag with the universal rear flares and had to ditch them in favour of the N5Tuner units. The universal flare setup required me to limit suspension travel by 2-3" which was no bueno for performance and safety.

Anywho, I dropped off the car at the shop on May 5th to have some work finalized. Namely:
- Fluid changes... engine oil, power steering, transmission, diff
- Alignment
- Rear H&R swaybar install. I reinstalled the stock one myself.

Picked the car up on May 16th and took it to the dyno. Results below.

Track testing on May 18th at Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga showed that the car was faster than it has ever been. Unfortunately, the car (or me!) should be quicker and I have been thinking of ways to make it so.
Car looks aggressive, what tire setup are you running now?
      05-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #140
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

In the photos, I'm running 275/30/18 Hankook Z214s. Will be using these for competition in unlimited class in 2 Canadian Sport Compact Series (CSCS).

For my main competition, I'll be running 295/25/19 Kumho V720 ACRs in SGT1 Class with Ontario Time Attack.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #141
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Did my first time attack event on Sunday June 3rd. It was hosted by the Canadian Sport Compact Series (CSCS) at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park Driver Development Track (Mosport DDT).

To keep it short, it was a frustrating day. Couldn't go one hot session without getting a 30FF code (later to find out it was the wastegates slowly giving up) and the car wasn't handling very well. I didn't even address the handling matters as I was too busy trying to sort out the boost issues (checking clamps, vac lines, solenoids etc). My best lap time was achieved on the first hot lap of the first (of 5) sessions. Haha. The lap time was .5 seconds faster than what I was able to achieve 2 years ago with no aero, more weight and less power... it was that bad.

Going to tighten the rear WGA arm sometime this week in preparation for the back to back time attack events this Saturday/Sunday. Hopefully that sorts things out.

If I continue to have the problem, I will make the decision to either live with it for the rest of the season or park the car and deal with it in the winter.

Going back to the CSCS event... It was well run with great time attack talent, drifting, car shows and other competitions. Turn out is in the thousands from participants to spectators. Definitely one to attend if you like the high energy events!

Some photos!
- I passed the lambo, got another 30FF then he passed me.
- The Subaru and Suzuki were so much faster than me it was silly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Yeineken1300.50
      06-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #142
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

30FF?

Time for SINGLE TURBO KIT.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #143
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Did my first time attack event on Sunday June 3rd. It was hosted by the Canadian Sport Compact Series (CSCS) at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park Driver Development Track (Mosport DDT).

To keep it short, it was a frustrating day. Couldn't go one hot session without getting a 30FF code (later to find out it was the wastegates slowly giving up) and the car wasn't handling very well. I didn't even address the handling matters as I was too busy trying to sort out the boost issues (checking clamps, vac lines, solenoids etc). My best lap time was achieved on the first hot lap of the first (of 5) sessions. Haha. The lap time was .5 seconds faster than what I was able to achieve 2 years ago with no aero, more weight and less power... it was that bad.

Going to tighten the rear WGA arm sometime this week in preparation for the back to back time attack events this Saturday/Sunday. Hopefully that sorts things out.

If I continue to have the problem, I will make the decision to either live with it for the rest of the season or park the car and deal with it in the winter.

Going back to the CSCS event... It was well run with great time attack talent, drifting, car shows and other competitions. Turn out is in the thousands from participants to spectators. Definitely one to attend if you like the high energy events!

Some photos!
- I passed the lambo, got another 30FF then he passed me.
- The Subaru and Suzuki were so much faster than me it was silly.
What are your current spring rates? I'm thinking of adding spring when I move to a 275 up front.
      06-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #144
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmithvmi View Post
30FF?

Time for SINGLE TURBO KIT.
I have been looking them up. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
What are your current spring rates? I'm thinking of adding spring when I move to a 275 up front.
616F/1232R /w OEM FSB and H&R RSB. I'll need to make changes as it does not appear to work very well.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #145
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

What specifically didn't feel good about the suspension setup? Understeer on turn-in or mid-corner, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #146
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmithvmi View Post
What specifically didn't feel good about the suspension setup? Understeer on turn-in or mid-corner, etc.
Awful exit speed as the inside rear wheel lifted and rendered the Mfactory quaife diff useless. I suspect it's the rear sway bar as I did not have this problem last year when running without a RSB. Ideally, I should move to a proper clutch type lsd and I think at that point the RSB will also help liven up the rear some.

I also had some oversteer situations at the entry of some corners but attribute that to overly aggressive driving out of frustration with the boost control issues. The car bit back those times.

Last edited by xBlueStreakx; 06-06-2018 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #147
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Awful exit speed as the inside rear wheel lifted and rendered the Mfactory quaife diff useless. I suspect it's the rear sway bar as I did not have this problem last year when running without a RSB. Ideally, I should move to a proper clutch type lsd and I think at that point the RSB will also help liven up the rear some.

I also had some oversteer situations at the entry of some corners but attribute that to overly aggressive driving out of frustration with the boost control issues. The car bit back those times.
I have issues with rear wheel lift and no traction on only one course out here in SoCal -- Buttonwillow. I run the M3/1M 22.5mm rear sway, M3 front sway, and Wavetrack LSD. The very tiny stock rear sway I assume did next to nothing, but I did have great rear traction.

Your rear spring rate seems awfully high, which is probably only making your rear grip worse, and would explain your oversteer issues. My car is very neutral right now, but likely leans more understeer. I'm running 8k front / 12k rear. I'm switching over to a 16k rear which should help with my turn-in and mid-corner understeer. Going to swap the M3 rear sway for an Eibach 15mm which should help with rear grip and also be more predictable since it's a non-binding design.

Car looks sweet! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:44 AM   #148
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Quote:

I have issues with rear wheel lift and no traction on only one course out here in SoCal -- Buttonwillow. I run the M3/1M 22.5mm rear sway, M3 front sway, and Wavetrack LSD. The very tiny stock rear sway I assume did next to nothing, but I did have great rear traction.

Your rear spring rate seems awfully high, which is probably only making your rear grip worse, and would explain your oversteer issues. My car is very neutral right now, but likely leans more understeer. I'm running 8k front / 12k rear. I'm switching over to a 16k rear which should help with my turn-in and mid-corner understeer. Going to swap the M3 rear sway for an Eibach 15mm which should help with rear grip and also be more predictable since it's a non-binding design.

Car looks sweet! Good luck.
Yeah those rates seem high, even for an E92 which has quite a bit more weight and wider tires with more grip (the rates make more sense with high lateral grip tires, like 295+ r-comps/slicks + aero). I still don't see many setups over 1000lbs out back.

You might benefit from moving to a true rear coilover and dropping those rates a smidge to obtain the same effective rate. Did you work your way up with lower rates up to your current #600/#1200

I'm stiffening up to 450/800 from 400/700 as the car is balanced but once I step my aero game with wider tires I'm expecting to need more spring.

I'm running super thick Dinan sways and I'm moving to a stock FSB and keeping the stiffer rear bar for now to see how it changes the balance of the car @ steady state turn in.
      06-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #149
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys.

Last year I ran 616F/1008R and no RSB. I experimented with no FSB, stock and the H&R. The stock FSB and no rear yielded the best results.

With the 616F/1008R and stock FSB, the car was quite competitive but still erred towards understeer more than I wanted. Hence the move to 616F/1232R and H&R RSB... though it looks like I went too far now.

Plan for tomorrow's time attack event is to disconnect the rear bar. Depending on how it ends up responding, I may stick with it or try less spring in the back with the RSB reconnected. Another option is keeping the springs as is and running my H&R bars front AND rear. TBH, any of these options seems to be a work around to ensure the MFactory diff can do its thing. I really believe the car would be fastest the way I currently have it PLUS a proper clutch type diff... but harder to drive.

Ideally I'd like to get out to another lapping day or two and just try different combinations -> I have 672lbs, 896lbs, 1008lbs and 1232lbs rear springs and stock/H&R front and rear sway bars. I don't like to be too academic about things because its the results that matter.

As far as spring rates are concerned, attached are the resulting frequencies taking into account vehicle weight (with me, full tank and full aero), weight distribution and motion rations. The rear is still about 12% softer than the front.
Attached Images

Last edited by xBlueStreakx; 06-08-2018 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #150
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Last year I ran 616F/1008R and no RSB. I experimented with no FSB, stock and the H&R. The stock FSB and no rear yielded the best results.

With the 616F/1008R and stock FSB, the car was quite competitive but still erred towards understeer more than I wanted. Hence the move to 616F/1232R and H&R RSB... though it looks like I went too far now.

Plan for tomorrow's time attack event is to disconnect the rear bar. Depending on how it ends up responding, I may stick with it or try less spring in the back with the RSB reconnected. Another option is keeping the springs as is and running my H&R bars front AND rear. TBH, any of these options seems to be a work around to ensure the MFactory diff can do its thing. I really believe the car would be fastest the way I currently have it PLUS a proper clutch type diff... but harder to drive.

Ideally I'd like to get out to another lapping day or two and just try different combinations -> I have 672lbs, 896lbs, 1008lbs and 1232lbs rear springs and stock/H&R front and rear sway bars. I don't like to be too academic about things because its the results that matter.

As far as spring rates are concerned, attached are the resulting frequencies taking into account vehicle weight (with me, full tank and full aero), weight distribution and motion rations. The rear is still about 12% softer than the front.
Yeah I need to get some shorter springs so I can play with rates at the track. My rear springs are a bit tall and make it tough to swap them without adjusting the perch and then messing with ride height
      06-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #151
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

What are the specs on your front wheels? Do I see that you are using 1M fenders and front bumper, then going even wider yet with the N5 tuner stuff?

-Mark
      06-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #152
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Wheels are 19x10.5 Apex Arc 8 ET22.

I have the 1M front end /w LA Design Shop NewSchool +80mm flares overlaid for the extra wides.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #153
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

This weekend's competition was a mixed bag. First off, the good...

Disconnected the rear sway bar and immediately the car was faster; primarily with putting power down on corner exit. Played with tire pressures to ensure maximum lateral grip /w my RE71R setup. Almost got there until things went wrong... more on that later. Hah.

Also played with the rebound settings on the dampers. Corner entry was getting close to perfect with me being able to induce some slight oversteer with trail braking; exactly where I want it to be. For corner exit, I was still trying to find a balance between allowing for throttle steer and having too much throttle steer where I can no longer put the power down.

Now the bad...

30FF code still coming up but not as often after I adjusted the rear WGA two turns. I'm going to perform another boost leak test to see if I missed something from the other two attempts.

This is where I really goofed up on Saturday's competition... I made some changes in the MHD tune options (limiting power in 1st and 2nd) then accidentally flashed the car back to STOCK. Didn't realize this until the first of 5 competition runs where the car was significantly down on power. Pulled off the track and started flashing the Stage 1+ 93 octane to hopefully make it back out for the remainder of the runs, however, my Odyssey PC680 battery died. After that, it was failed attempt after failed attempt trying to flash the tune even with a charger hooked up to the battery. 6 hours later, I gave up and had a few competitors help me push the car onto the trailer. Ended up missing Sunday's event. Hindsight says I should've left the tune alone. Oops!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #154
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Sorry if it was mentioned earlier, are you running an lsd and saw benefits from disconnecting the rear sway bar or still on stock open diff?
Appreciate 0