BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #1
Seisiuneer
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Convertible

Having the trunk/glovebox locked and the doors unlocked?

Recently bought a very nice low-mileage 2008 128i convertible (US model).

There are times I'd like to be able to leave the car doors unlocked (so someone won't slash the top to get in) but have the trunk locked.

I'm aware of the valet switch in the glove compartment, but I just can't seem to get it to work as described. For testing purposes, is there also an additional interlock on the glovebox being open and/or locked as well as putting the switch in the glovebox into the lock position?

I'm not using the glovebox switch for valet purposes, I'd just like some way to have the doors be unlocked and have it not be possible to open the trunk with either the button on the lower left of the dash or the button on the trunk lid. Not sure if the glove box switch really even matters for this specific requirement, seems to me that I've been able to get the trunk to open with the button on the fob when the switch was in the lock position, which is why I'm wondering if there is a glovebox switch interlock that may be flaky.

Seems like this should be simple, but I can't seem to find the magic sequence.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Tenspeed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i E88 DCT

I haven't tried what you are looking for, but discovered that if you leave the top down and lock the car that the alarm goes off if you reach into it. I learned it by reaching in to trade my hat for one on the back floorboard. That will give you some protection against people reaching in the car with the top down.

You could possibly lock the glove box and the alarm should prevent people reaching in for the trunk switch. The alarm also may electronically block the trunk switch from working unless the car is unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 03:18 AM   #3
Seisiuneer
Rep

Interesting! No alarm on my car, unfortunately... I'd like to leave the top up, doors unlocked, glove box and trunk locked. I'm pretty sure the trunk lock switch in the glove box is doing nothing on my car, will be seeing the dealer tomorrow to confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
Seisiuneer
Rep

The valet switch in the glove box definitely isn't working. Anyone have a wiring diagram for this model, the 2008 128i convertible? This has to be something very simple.
Appreciate 0