BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #133
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M235i

So do accept PayPal for those stickers?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #134
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp-plickner View Post
So do accept PayPal for those stickers?
I will set that up and accept paypal once I increase my inventory, which might take awhile since I can't remember what I did with that pad of post its.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #135
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

:
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #136
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
I have to check to see what moon light black is but here is my old convertible list from June
Thanks, looks like its pretty rare.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #137
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
In reality, I think the risk of the PPK software being removed or overwritten on the 135is will be pretty low. Maybe I'm mistaken, but the techs are going to know what's in these cars (if they don't already) after a couple of the 135is come in for service. It will be worth pointing it out the first time you take it in and having the SA make a note in the records with your VIN, but I don't think you will need to worry about it every time you bring the car in. When it comes to 45,000 miles, being that we're all enthusiasts to begin with, you'll be taking it in for spark plug replacement anyways -- you won't need a sticker to tell them to do it.
Seems that an engine software re-install or re-flash would be something that dealers end up doing from time to time... to correct a problem or fault, updated software, etc. Is the PPK portion of the engine computer software loaded in such a way that re-flash or re-install won't overwrite it? If not, then I can see how the PPK could be overwritten inadvertently. After all, why does the tech know or care if you don't get the 20 extra HP? Most probably couldn't tell. I will have no way of knowing if my car has the PPK, sticker or not. Is there a code that can be read to confirm?

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #138
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
Seems that an engine software re-install or re-flash would be something that dealers end up doing from time to time... to correct a problem or fault, updated software, etc. Is the PPK portion of the engine computer software loaded in such a way that re-flash or re-install won't overwrite it? If not, then I can see how the PPK could be overwritten inadvertently. After all, why does the tech know or care if you don't get the 20 extra HP? Most probably couldn't tell. I will have no way of knowing if my car has the PPK, sticker or not. Is there a code that can be read to confirm?
I'm taking my car in at 8am tomorrow morning for the post break-in oil change and to ask for more prominent stickers, so I will find out everything I can on this as I may somewhat grill my service advisor as a result of my PPK software paranoia. My concern of course is that they do something to update something on the ecu while it's in there (or at any point) and someone inadvertently isn't careful to not mess that up and would be hard for us to know. My hope of course is BMW makes it clear to any tech that it's installed or very difficult to erase/delete/overwrite without at least a, "you sure you want to castrate this poor guy's 135is?"

I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow since there's not a lot of info on the topic it seems so nobody knows for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #139
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Greg, dude... your way to funny... It is impossible for any tech to erase your PPK2 software. If any updating / flash is done, the car is directly hooked up to BMW's server's and then the updates are downloaded. Your vin number is tagged and BMW knows it. There is nothing a tech can do to erase it.

So your paranoia is not warranted. DO NOT WORRY! ENJOY that rocket ship.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #140
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Greg - FYI, I saw and drove mine at the dealer this past Thurs (I will pick up next Friday) - I did not get any under hood stickers denoting PPK. The 2nd radiator was definitely there.

I'd have felt better if the stickers were actuall there, but the thing goes like lightning, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #141
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
Greg, dude... your way to funny... It is impossible for any tech to erase your PPK2 software. If any updating / flash is done, the car is directly hooked up to BMW's server's and then the updates are downloaded. Your vin number is tagged and BMW knows it. There is nothing a tech can do to erase it.

So your paranoia is not warranted. DO NOT WORRY! ENJOY that rocket ship.
Interesting. I've never heard that before, so that's definitely reassuring. And I trust this information is correct because you're a fellow mineral grey 135is-er. So, you're saying I can take the post it off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama335 View Post
Greg - FYI, I saw and drove mine at the dealer this past Thurs (I will pick up next Friday) - I did not get any under hood stickers denoting PPK. The 2nd radiator was definitely there.

I'd have felt better if the stickers were actuall there, but the thing goes like lightning, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt
Bama! Why didn't you take it home? You must have amazing willpower or an incredibly good reason. These lil guys sure do fly. And sound great doing it, too. 5 minutes ago as I was walking down the street and someone in a newer m3 was slowly driving by and then parking and for the second time this week I experienced hearing an m3 engine with it's high-pitch whine at slow speeds. And I was thinking was, even at 2 mph, our cars rumble and roar and sound 1,000 times better than that. I literally cringed.

1450 miles in,

Greg and Isabelle (Izzy)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #142
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Interesting. I've never heard that before, so that's definitely reassuring. And I trust this information is correct because you're a fellow mineral grey 135is-er. So, you're saying I can take the post it off?
(Izzy)
When I brought my beast in for that 1200 mile oil change.... My service manager really took care of me. At the end, his service adviser gave me the key fob and said, on the house. Perhaps he will say that again changing my break pads after my tracking weekends... lol
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #143
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
When I brought my beast in for that 1200 mile oil change.... My service manager really took care of me. At the end, his service adviser gave me the key fob and said, on the house. Perhaps he will say that again changing my break pads after my tracking weekends... lol
Somehow I doubt mine will be on the house. I'm sure presenting them with the $79.95 coupon will help insult them. I'll be glad though when they give me back the key fob and will settle for as many PPK stickers as possible to place all over my engine bay and myself.

I'm still on the fence on whether to have them wash the car tomorrow, too. I know many people are adamantly against having the people at the dealer do it, I've never really worried considering it's a high end dealer and never worried with my S5, but for once I may say no thanks. I'm treating this baby special. I wonder if you feel the same way, being overprotective, especially after your previous one. I imagine that may have also been part of why the service manager was so generous to you. My first 1 was pretty much destroyed by mr. no idea how to yield to oncoming traffic...so I can somewhat relate.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #144
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Don't let them wash it. They bring it to a swirlomatic.

The SA never knew about my first beast but the SM probably did, cause it would have been in their system but it only had 250 miles before it floated away during Sandy. I'm guessing he sensed that I was an enthusiast, cause nobody brings their car in for a 1200 mile oil change because it is not a part of the scheduled free maintenance.

He even told me he wasn't going to wash it cause my monster was to clean. lol

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #145
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Don't let them wash it. They bring it to a swirlomatic.

The SA never knew about my first beast but the SM probably did, cause it would have been in their system but it only had 250 miles before it floated away during Sandy. I'm guessing he sensed that I was an enthusiast, cause nobody brings their car in for a 1200 mile oil change because it is not a part of the scheduled free maintenance.

He even told me he wasn't going to wash it cause my monster was to clean. lol
Mine's been extremely clean after some serious detailing 2 weeks ago, which is why I waited to take it in. Didn't want them getting greasy hands on it on a fresh wax. But it looks like a flock of angry seagulls went over my car today as I got 8 bird craps all over it, which I just had to go down and take care of and get off everywhere. I'm just going to tell them I have to get to work afterwards, and I plan to wash it myself tomorrow, so no need or desire for wash.

Curious what you had them do at your post break-in oil change as I've heard some people discuss possible differential fluid change as well. I'm just planning standard oil and filter, think it includes the air filter as well though that will likely be serious overkill, but I'll take it. Gonna treat it like an M car, even if they don't. Then we gonna let her out!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #146
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
Bama! Why didn't you take it home? You must have amazing willpower or an incredibly good reason.
I bought it out of state from a dealer I've had good experiences with previously (I'm there frequently due to my job), and it showed up a week early - those VPC guys must have been working late, it was only 7 days from the boat docking to dealer delivery in the Midwest.

It's tough to drive two vehicles home at the same time, so I'll fly back this coming week and drive her home.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #147
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama335 View Post
I bought it out of state from a dealer I've had good experiences with previously (I'm there frequently due to my job), and it showed up a week early - those VPC guys must have been working late, it was only 7 days from the boat docking to dealer delivery in the Midwest.

It's tough to drive two vehicles home at the same time, so I'll fly back this coming week and drive her home.
Darn good reasons, and I can't quite advocate putting a tow hitch on a 1-series. Hope you at least enjoyed your taste of things to come. Sounds like your garage will be the envy of many.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #148
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Do not let them wash your car! Also air filter is absolutely overkill at 1200 miles. Transmission and differential fluid recommended (by me and by others) because those two items are pretty important and are only as good as their lubricant allows them to be.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #149
eywflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is DSB 6MT 269/613

Was reading the official registry thread over in the 1M forum, and it was mentioned that there are successful registries in existence for some other rare BMWs including 1974-75 2002 Turbo (1672 produced) and Z4 M Coupe (1815 produced). The 135is total numbers are less than those currently, even including both coupes and verts.

I would be willing to do the setup and data entry, hosting a registry on google docs, and using the same basic format that the 1M guys do. We might include a column for interior color as well. What do you guys think, is this worth doing?
      08-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #150
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eywflyer
Quote:
In my mind they made like 5...5 or 6 maybe, and that's just the people I know with them on here. =)

I also wonder if any IS owner has actually seen another IS on the road, aside from 1addicts or similar get togethers.
I have not yet seen another IS in person. I'm sure there must be at least a couple others somewhere in South Florida though given the population here.

Would be cool to get multiple Deep Sea Blue 135is's together sometime. Have we seen any others on here besides myself and Elwood74? Would also really love to see the DSB's sitting next to an elusive Vermillion Red, or the one Blue Water Metallic that exists in the US as far as we know

Anyone interested in a 135is meetup sometime later this year? I'd be willing to take a long road trip for that - want to drive the car on roads with actual hills and curves! She hasn't been north of Tampa thus far.

Re the mileage issue - it is tough to balance getting your money's worth of enjoyment from driving the 135 vs. racking up a lot of miles quickly. I'm currently sitting at 2400 miles after 3 1/2 months. About 1000 of that was a weekend trip to the Tampa area. I think I would prefer to get a Toyota or Honda for the daily commute (35 miles roundtrip), and save the 135 for a once weekly commute and road trips.
I have a deep sea blue on order! pretty excited because I've only owned black cars for the last 11 years. I have never seen a 135is on the road....or in person. I ordered it based on what I saw online and heard on YouTube (that exhaust note is epic!). I test drove a regular135 and a 128.

seems there are not many DSB 135is anywhere....actually YOUR photos were the best ones I'd found!

as for commuting....I drive 2400 miles a month for my job....so will have plenty of time to enjoy my 135is! LOL. I will drive the TT occasionally just because I absolutely love that car....even after 10+ years of ownership
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #151
Arrrrmatey
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by eywflyer View Post
Was reading the official registry thread over in the 1M forum, and it was mentioned that there are successful registries in existence for some other rare BMWs including 1974-75 2002 Turbo (1672 produced) and Z4 M Coupe (1815 produced). The 135is total numbers are less than those currently, even including both coupes and verts.

I would be willing to do the setup and data entry, hosting a registry on google docs, and using the same basic format that the 1M guys do. We might include a column for interior color as well. What do you guys think, is this worth doing?
Flyer,
Thanks for offering to maintain this ... as you may already know, there is already a couple guys doing a great job of cataloging vehicles by color / interior / trans using public VIN search tools and they post summary charts. The 1M guys have a country column ... perhaps that could be replaced by state?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #152
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eywflyer View Post

Sounds like an interesting idea. If folks want to move forward with a registry I would be happy to share my data base files and text files that have the equipment data for each vin that I collected. Bama has been working in parallel on vin collection which allowed proofing on the coupe vins. The convertible vin count has no proofing as far as I know.
The location by state or province field is a good idea.

I am off to the dealer this morning to get the lid to my arm rest fixed. It decided to pop open and will not stay closed. I have a rubber band holding it shut..cool mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #153
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like an interesting idea. If folks want to move forward with a registry I would be happy to share my data base files and text files that have the equipment data for each vin that I collected. Bama has been working in parallel on vin collection which allowed proofing on the coupe vins. The convertible vin count has no proofing as far as I know.
The location by state or province field is a good idea.

I am off to the dealer this morning to get the lid to my arm rest fixed. It decided to pop open and will not stay closed. I have a rubber band holding it shut..cool mod.
Sounds good to me and sounds like we already have most the info. Perhaps one day we can even track down a titanium silver or cashmere silver.

That rubber band mod sounds cool, got any pics? I've never even opened mine. Maybe you could get the rubber band wrapped in carbon fiber. =P What's interesting about the arm rest is how many people have switched to the euro version that has just one big open tray inside as opposed to the 2 small compartment version.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #154
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
The 135i I test drove at the dealer had this problem... the plastic hook on the latch mechanism is not very robust. I chalked it up to careless demo drivers, but I'm sure you are careful with your arm rest. If it happened to you, I'd better be very careful with mine.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0