BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Dealer damage and improper convertible top repair

I had posted that an inoperable defroster line was found, and so my dealer replaced the top. I was happy that they did this, but now Im not so sure. I was detailing the interior of my car, and was looking in the back seat and the cover over where the top folds. Found a few issues.

The vinyl on the top cover is gouged:

There is a tear in my rear seat. Im 6 ft 5, and only have an infant. Nobody has ever sat back there, and I dont put anything back there. The seat is also dirty, so this is obviously related.

There are gouges in the side panel in the rear seat area.

And to make it worse, there is an obvious misalignment of the convertible top gaskets both along the top and bottom on one side. Proper:

Improper:

So obviously Im going to have to take it back. But any suggestions on how to ensure that I dont end up with squeaks, rattles and more issues as they have to pull out and replace all these parts? I love my car, and plan to keep it for the long run, so Im not interested in a halfway job or creating more issues.

How much of an issue will it be to properly align the top to get rid of that gap (I can see right inside currently)? I think there may be a block of rubber that is supposed to be there and is not...

Thanks!

Last edited by JHZR2; 07-18-2014 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My guess is the technician who replaced your top was inexperienced or having a bad day. When you show the service manager your issues, I suspect either somebody else will do it next time or the technician will get help to avoid the issues. Top replacement isn't cheap and the dealership could have to pay for it out of their pocket so I really doubt they will mess it up again.
      07-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
BBursey
Work hard, play harder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
I had posted that an inoperable defroster line was found, and so my dealer replaced the top. I was happy that they did this, but now Im not so sure. I was detailing the interior of my car, and was looking in the back seat and the cover over where the top folds. Found a few issues.

The vinyl on the top cover is gouged:

Yikes - I'm really sorry to see this happen to your car. I just had mine in for its annual service and spent the previous 3 nights cleaning inside and out so the dealer would see that I take very good care of my car.

During my cleaning, I found a gouge / scratch in the vinyl on the door card. I'm not sure if it's that same material as your convertible top cover, but if it is, I'd be interested in how it gets repaired if they stop short of replacement for you.

Best of luck getting your car back to it's original condition!

Cheers,
Bryan
2011 135i M Sport | COBB V3 AP Stage 1+ | ER FMIC and CP | BMS OCC | Dinan Stage 3 Suspension | Dinan High Performance Bushing Kit | M3 Wishbones | Modified CDV | Clutch Stop | APEX EC-7 Wheels w/ Michelin PSS 235/40R18 265/35R18 Tires | Maddad Street Series Exhaust | BMW Performance Kidney Grills | LCI Blacklines | Armrest Delete | Spoiler Delete | 28% Tint
Appreciate 0