BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-15-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
foundonroad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 jet black 128i sport

tires and cpo status

Three months ago purchased my 2008 cpo 128i. It has goodyear run flats, appear to be nearly new. I mentioned to the service rep about replacing those with regular tires. I was told to be careful about brands as a non bmw endorsed brand would void the cpo status of the car! I mentioned Hankook Ventus as an example, and he said that would void the cpo status. I am becoming disenchanted with bmw. I love the vehicle, but this big brother crap is getting annoying. Anybody know anything?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I am not sure what you mean by “CPO status”. If it has to do with warranty that is BS. You can put what tires and wheels you want on the car as long as they meet the speed rating as the runflats. The worst case is if you had something go wrong that could have been caused by the tires you are using they could refuse the warranty work but BMW must prove it did harm to the car under the Magnuson – Moss warranty act. I always install aftermarket wheels and tires on my BMW’s and never any issues. I usually trade in the car for a new one and they sell it as CPO. I just put the original wheels and tires back on it before the trade in. In fact I have the Hankook tires which are wider than stock on my 135i now. It has been in for service and HPFP replacement with no issues.

Just be careful, for every good person in the car business it seems there are ten who have no clue or are full of BS.
      03-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I brought my CPO Z4 in with aftermarket tires/wheels several times when I had it. I didn't have any issues getting warrenty/service work done.

I swear I could go to work at a dealership and be a VP inside of 6 months. It floors me how stupid most people who work at dealerships are.

Learn your fucking product for God's sake. It's the 1 thing you've got to be good at...

/rant
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
rotts4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A3 TDI

Perhaps he was talking about when you traded or sold you car with non-run flats. I know I just traded in a 2006 BMW 325i that I had put non-run flats on and despite the tires being in great condition, BMW took them off and replaced them with brand new runflats before the car could be sold as a CPO vehicle on their lot.

Maybe he had that on his mind and got it twisted up with warranty issues. My dealer never mentioned me not having run flats related to warranty issues on my last 2 BMWs. Though I never had any warranty issues that could be related to tires other than brake pads and rotors and they replaced those no questions asked.
      03-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
My service advisor told me that the BMW tires are crap and I should buy other tires somewhere else..... hen they mounted and balanced them for free.
Appreciate 0