BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #133
TWMPerformance
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Im in LOVE with that rear subframe. So boss.

- Renato
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 02:12 AM   #134
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tease135i View Post
Thank you. Any chance of some pictures and a more detailed description please. I wouldn't know where to start.
Unfortunately I don't have any more photos than what is up there. All of it was trial and error for me and I didn't keep record of what size screws or hex bits/sockets were required.

All I can say is that for the C Pillar's you need to remove the airbag tab with a small screwdriver to get at the screw underneath and it should pop out. For the side bolsters they should just pull out with force and that will give you access to remove the seatbelt reel by undoing a screw. For the rear parcel shelf itself you need to use a small screwdriver to pop the plastic child seat achor coverings and then same thing, screws will be accessible. From memory you need a hex socket for those but I don't know what size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMPerformance View Post
Im in LOVE with that rear subframe. So boss.

- Renato
Haha thanks Renato!
      07-07-2015, 04:01 AM   #135
Tease135i
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Thank you. To remove the pillars with the airbag sign will I need to disconnect the battery first?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #136
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Hey Alex what happened to your turbos? (I'm guessing oil seals let go?)

I was wondering when your oem clutch would crap out on you, how was the PTF twin plate whilst you had her going?

I'm finally getting around to installing my m3 driveline later this month after sitting in storage for exactly 2 years!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #137
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tease135i View Post
Thank you. To remove the pillars with the airbag sign will I need to disconnect the battery first?
Nope. You're only actually removing the airbag plastic insert, not touching the actual airbags. But seeing as you will be disconnecting speakers and such it's always prudent to disconnect the battery just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Hey Alex what happened to your turbos? (I'm guessing oil seals let go?)

I was wondering when your oem clutch would crap out on you, how was the PTF twin plate whilst you had her going?

I'm finally getting around to installing my m3 driveline later this month after sitting in storage for exactly 2 years!!
Hey Shane!

Yeah the oil seals again...so annoying...

Haha yeah it held on for quite a while. I was surprised. The PTF twin plate definitely holds the power but it is a bitch to drive to say the least. Taking off and hill starts are a bit of an affair as is trying to plod around when parking. But I think my diff bushings are shot. I'm getting horrible wheel hop which I didn't have before, even when I first installed the clutch. I think its a bit of combination of the age of the bushings but also the increased forces going through the driveline and the fact that I have solid subframe bushings so they've just worn out. When I jack up the rear via the diff there's like an inch of play before the car actually starts to lift. Planning on eventually getting solid aluminium/delrin diff bushings from Turner and seeing how that goes.

Woah finally!! And then maybe you'll come join us with the BMW supersprints? We actually have a member who comes from Newcastle with his E36 M3 for every supersprint. Even the ones down in Wakefield haha.
      07-08-2015, 02:39 AM   #138
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Nope. You're only actually removing the airbag plastic insert, not touching the actual airbags. But seeing as you will be disconnecting speakers and such it's always prudent to disconnect the battery just in case.

Hey Shane!

Haha yeah it held on for quite a while. I was surprised. The PTF twin plate definitely holds the power but it is a bitch to drive to say the least. Taking off and hill starts are a bit of an affair as is trying to plod around when parking. But I think my diff bushings are shot. I'm getting horrible wheel hop which I didn't have before, even when I first installed the clutch. I think its a bit of combination of the age of the bushings but also the increased forces going through the driveline and the fact that I have solid subframe bushings so they've just worn out. When I jack up the rear via the diff there's like an inch of play before the car actually starts to lift. Planning on eventually getting solid aluminium/delrin diff bushings from Turner and seeing how that goes.

Woah finally!! And then maybe you'll come join us with the BMW supersprints? We actually have a member who comes from Newcastle with his E36 M3 for every supersprint. Even the ones down in Wakefield haha.
Will let you know how my solid diff bushings go. I'm installing the delrin units from Turner this week.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 05:17 AM   #139
Tease135i
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Thank you. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #140
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

Hey Shane!

Solid diff bushings are LOUD!
And that is coming from someone who ran R-comps and straight through exhaust on the street.
I had the DEFIV lockdown kit and took it out and put in Whiteline bushings.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 11:56 PM   #141
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
Quote:

Hey Shane!

Solid diff bushings are LOUD!
And that is coming from someone who ran R-comps and straight through exhaust on the street.
I had the DEFIV lockdown kit and took it out and put in Whiteline bushings.
Did you have solid rear subframe bushings too? Are the whiteline bushings full replacement poly?
      07-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #142
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Did you have solid rear subframe bushings too? Are the whiteline bushings full replacement poly?
M3 subframe bushings. I can imagine it would be worse with those being solid as well. If it's a race car go for it but I wouldn't recommend for a street car.

Whiteline are Poly.
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KDT919
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:54 AM   #143
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
M3 subframe bushings. I can imagine it would be worse with those being solid as well. If it's a race car go for it but I wouldn't recommend for a street car.

Whiteline are Poly.
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KDT919
Yeah I'd expect a lot of noise. As it is, I get a lot of noise from the M3 LSD clutch packs already because I'm not running the friction modifier M diff fluid, just the normal fluid.

But it is pretty much a race car these days. It's used solely for car meets/drives or motorsports. Driving down 3 hours to Wakefield Park circuit I might need some ear muffs though LOL

I might check out the poly ones though. Maybe they have poly engine and tranny mounts too.

Edit: Just checked and no engine or tranny mounts but also they don't have diff bushings for the 1M/M3 rear differential unfortunately.

Last edited by froop; 07-13-2015 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 01:04 AM   #144
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I forgot you had the M3 rear end.
If you are going solid then look into the DEFIV lockdown kit (he makes a M version).
It is a well made kit just was too noisy for me.

http://www.defivfabrication.com/s65.html
Appreciate 0