BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-22-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

TPMS

I need some clarification on TPMS on our cars. I am assuming we have TPMS otherwise how else would we know if the RFT are flat right? But I read someone saying that we don't have the sensors on the wheels like the US? If so, does it use ABS sensors or something? And now to the question I most like to know, do we still have the monitoring unit in front of the left wheel arches? (ok I know very few if anyone would know the answer to the last question - will get Andrew to take my car apart tomorrow to find the answer for that one). THanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Do you have iDrive? There is an option in my iDrive to review the TPMS and I believe there was in the 08 version too.

If not I don't know either. :iono:
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Review the TPMS? You mean they give you the individual air temperature of each tyre? I don't think we have that here...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
No. It just says each tyre is ok. When one get's low apparently it flashes in the screen next to the speedo which one needs attention.

I don't think it tells you the pressure unfortunately (as that would seem like an easy thing for it to do...). I will test mine tonight when I go home. Need to be driving for it to work.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
TimH
Symptoms of 135i denial..
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2005 120i Sydney Blue

Mine measures the speed of each wheel relative to the others (ABS sensors I assume) compared to the steering wheel angle.

When the SZL sensor (steering angle) failed I lost pressure monitoring, stability control, and indicator self cancelling. 50 metres after I bought the car!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Wayne, Looking at the Australian version of the manual, it appears to be different from the USA version of the manual in relation to tire pressure monitoring.
The USA manual show a TPM display on the idrive whereas the Australian version does not show this. The Australian manual indicates that the run flat indicator detects a pressure drop in a tyre on the basis of a speed comparison between individual wheels while the vehicle is being driven.
This suggest that we don't have TPMS.
I think this is good for us Aussies since there is no need for TPM sensors when changing to a new set of wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Thanks...I wasn't worried about buying TPM sensors. Never was going to use that anyway as it is pointless with a non-runflat. You know you have a flat with a normal tyre!

This could mean no pressure sensor monitor either then? Which means the left side in front of the wheel can be used for something else. I hope so.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Thanks...I wasn't worried about buying TPM sensors. Never was going to use that anyway as it is pointless with a non-runflat. You know you have a flat with a normal tyre!

This could mean no pressure sensor monitor either then? Which means the left side in front of the wheel can be used for something else. I hope so.
But in the USA you would need TPM Sensors even for non run flat tyres as you would be always getting a flat tyre alarm if you didn't have them. The advantage with our system is that you won't be getting an alarm by running non run flats unless you have a flat.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Not sure about the TPMS accuracy, but our system is crap for slower leaks. Eg. if you loose 10% pressure per day, it won't show up. That's roughly what I experienced. I drove for at least a couple of days on a flat tyre and the system said nothing. It was a slow leak with a screw in the tread. I'd reinflate every couple of days as the pressure was slowly dropping, and still no warnings.
      09-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

TPMS is not required in ADR like the US. I think 99% no Aussie dealer will install one to give the service department "mar fan".

It is not a perfect unit and for average user it is more of an annoyance than useful tool.
      09-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Most high end aftermarket rims come with TMPS compatability either standard or optional.

And most other rim manufacturers are slowly introducing this feature on their rims as well if you buy 'normal' off the shelf aftermarket wheels, as TMPS is becoming more and more common with newer vehicles...

So either way, TMPS or not on our Aust. spec 1ers, you should have it covered, whichever rim/tyre wheel combo you opt for :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #12
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Not sure how it works, but the iDrive does have a Tyre Pressure Monitor, and it seems to work.....

Had an hour to kill between lists today, so went for a squirt along the Eastern. Driving back through Box Hill, Tyre Pressure Warning comes on. Little message on screen basically said "..check tyres, don't drive over 80..."

Filled tyres and rear passenger was 60 kpa below others.

Popped into Donellan's Box Hill, sure enough, nail in tyre!

Got a newbie fitted (only 630 friggin dollars, if you don't mind).

Here's the thing.

Once new tyre was fitted, I had to re-calibrate the TPMS!. It needs to be done with the car stationary, and ignition on. It's under the "Tyres" submenu in the "i" menu.

If our TPMS works on load differential, presumably that's why it's done stationary?

Anyhoo. It seem to work well on this occasion.

Should've sat in the café reading the paper!
      09-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Couldnt they just remove the nail and plug up or was the nail in the side of the tyre wall?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #14
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

You are not supposed to plug RFT's. Btw, the TPMS does work. My Cooper S back in 2002 had a nail in it within a week of picking it up, and the warning came on. I am sure 6 years later they would have made it even better!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #15
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Couldnt they just remove the nail and plug up or was the nail in the side of the tyre wall?
As Way says, don't think plugging RFT's is a viable long term option.

Also, the side walls start to fatigue when running without pressure. No the situation for me, given I drove about 500m at 40kph from the warning light to the tyre shop.