BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Suspension options

While waiting for my 135i I have been doing some research on suspension options. I would like a suspension setup which is lower than the standard M sport suspension for a more aggressive look. From my research the main options are:

1. new springs with standard shocks
  • H&R Springs -oe sport, sport, super sport
  • Eibach Springs
2. Coil over suspension
  • H&R
  • Bilstein PSS9 or PSS10
  • KW V1, V2, V3
  • TC Klein and a few other expensive options
Will lowering with springs alone be sufficient and provide better handling than the standard suspension setup or will the handling be worse? I like the idea of the coil overs where the ride height and damper setting can be adjusted and I'm sure they will provide better handling however, they may be overkill as I will rarely if ever track the car.
Any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
2QIK4U
Mike
Rep
Drives:

Hi DTNJNQ,

Suspension set is very personal and you should look to the most successful changes you have made to previous vehicles. Only make changes once you have developed a good feel for the car, I suspect the 135 is a pretty capable package in standard form. Lowering too far reduces your options and can kill handling for normal fun driving. Suggest you have a chat to Andrew Brien at SBM before committing cash.

Mike...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I have a set of KW V2 coming which I don't need anymore for anyone interested. Andrew, my business partner no longer want to change the suspension! But don't worry, I will still pay for the set until we can find someone here interested to buy it off me.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Whats the price son
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Kris, to be honest I cannot remember. It's somewhere in the mid twos. I will find out. I bought this through the official KW distributor in Australia. It's not as cheap as buying from US directly I am guessing, but you get the warranty which on a part like suspension is my preference. I am willing to take a hit of a couple of hundred of bucks due to my business partner's change of mind, but I am not going to give it away. For those of you who are not turning your cars into a track weapon, V2 is perfect for you!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Sorry not for my benefit, more other people I'm happy with the 135 suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
While waiting for my 135i I have been doing some research on suspension options. I would like a suspension setup which is lower than the standard M sport suspension for a more aggressive look. From my research the main options are:

1. new springs with standard shocks
  • H&R Springs -oe sport, sport, super sport
  • Eibach Springs
2. Coil over suspension
  • H&R
  • Bilstein PSS9 or PSS10
  • KW V1, V2, V3
  • TC Klein and a few other expensive options
Will lowering with springs alone be sufficient and provide better handling than the standard suspension setup or will the handling be worse? I like the idea of the coil overs where the ride height and damper setting can be adjusted and I'm sure they will provide better handling however, they may be overkill as I will rarely if ever track the car.
Any suggestions.
From my past experince on previous cars - if your looking to just lower the car a little for some better looks, whilst trying to maintain as good as or better handling than the factory set-up go for a 'good' set of springs 'only' as you've listed above - I've repeatedly used Eibachs for many years on many cars and they are sensational, a true progressive rate spring which if lowering on a subtle amount, actually improves ride comfort as well !

If you going to lower it more than a little - say 30mm-40mm+ then it's advised you get a matching set of lowering shocks as well, as the standard ones will not work properly and then deteriorate early as well.

I've also used KW Variante 1's on another car of mine which is somewhat of a show car - I only opted for them because I wanted to be able to adjust the ride height for different sets of wheels I have for it.

I found this (coil over) set up to be very good for handling, but didn't like the ride quality it offered as opposed to just changing to a high quality lowered set of springs.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Lower spring compresses the stock damper, so you are using half of damper that came with the car.

Unless it is throughly tested, you are gambling to your handling IMHO.

I will go coilover.

Another +ve in adjustable coilover. when cop stops you and said your car is too low, you can get the tool and adjust it on the spot! Just kidding.
      08-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Lower spring compresses the stock damper, so you are using half of damper that came with the car.

Unless it is throughly tested, you are gambling to your handling IMHO.

I will go coilover.

Another +ve in adjustable coilover. when cop stops you and said your car is too low, you can get the tool and adjust it on the spot! Just kidding.
LOL I think your talking about those air compressor adjustable suspensions - you can even adjust the ride height whilst on the move :smile:

Very popular set up for show cars, as you can slam it for show and back up to normal for go
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Wraith, I think takahashi is talking about adjustable pre-load on coil over springs that in effect allow you to adjust the ride height. No need for jumping suspensions to change the ride height.
      08-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
Wraith, I think takahashi is talking about adjustable pre-load on coil over springs that in effect allow you to adjust the ride height. No need for jumping suspensions to change the ride height.
Oh I see - those air compressor adjustable ones are ok, but you take up alot of the boot space for the compressor component part of it :smile:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 04:16 AM   #12
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Air compressor one will be cool too, but they are not meant to be sporty. Have been tempted for the Disco 3 but I decided to go for a Toyota for the family's 4WD.

Adjustable with tool is good ... corner balancing is fun and you won't believe the result.