BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2015, 02:49 AM   #23
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You can go super fast without a LSD, although I wouldn't call it a luxury item.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #24
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

well guys, I ordered a ProClip for my phone, bought Harry's Lap Timer, and ordered a 10hz GPS module and a bluetooth OBDII module to log stuff. Excited!
      06-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #25
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep

alright, first track day down on the island went great. How many of you have palm trees in your paddock?

The RFT's were predictably boring and offered little grip, especially on the part of the track that used to be a drag burnout surface, which happens to be right in a braking zone.

Never turned the TC all the way off, didn't feel like I needed too. With the TC off via 1-press, the rear was a little loose on throttle application, spinning the outside tire I think. No diff in these cars of course, except the brakes. Probably my best laps were with the TC fully on and never quite getting into it hard, just driving smooth.

No don't laugh at me, in my RX-8 I never used the TC/SC system on the track or at autocross, but it was very invasive. And obviously in an old Miata, there ain't no TC son... With the RFT's you are already running out of traction pretty fast, so driving with the TC off seemed/felt much slower. That said, my lap times were very consistent regardless of TC settings, between 1:43 and 1:47 (passing people).

Brakes didn't give me any trouble, despite the fact that I was consistently into ABS in the hard braking spots. I didn't notice any fade, but this track is not so hard on brakes.

Hard to compare, but my friend who runs a modified Boxster S on R-compounds runs a 1:29 or there-about's here. My best was a 1:43, but I'd wager R-compounds or even really sticky street rubber is worth what? 5-8 seconds at least? In autocross we used to say the r-compounds were worth 2-seconds at least per 30-seconds.

Thanks for all the advice, I know I will be back for more. I had so much freakin' fun. I don't know why I haven't been racing in the last several years...

06-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #26
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep

06-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #27
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I enjoyed watching your video. That looks like an unforgiving circuit and you drive it very well. Smooth and precise driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:26 AM   #28
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks John. The circuit certainly doesn't have a lot of places where you can push REALLY hard like the circuits in the Midwest or the West. Kind of reminds me of the back part of Mid-Ohio (what was that called, Thunder Valley?), where there are a few walls. Here, there are LOTS of walls!

I think I will be headed back in their July or August. July is a PCA event but they will let non-Porchsces in with a sponsor, which I have (the above-mentioned boxster friend).
      06-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #29
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep

Oh man, I just talked to my friend in the Boxster, he was running 1:28's on a completely stock car, even the tires. His r-compounds were only worth about a second when he switched to those.... He did have the ceramic brake package on his Boxster.

Man...I've got some catching up to do!
      06-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #30
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
Oh man, I just talked to my friend in the Boxster, he was running 1:28's on a completely stock car, even the tires. His r-compounds were only worth about a second when he switched to those.... He did have the ceramic brake package on his Boxster.

Man...I've got some catching up to do!
Keep your smoothness and brake a little later. You will eventually shave seconds off, and approach your friends. Be safe and drive at your 9/10.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 12:29 AM   #31
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I was going to post that I can't see a *stock* 135i being on the same level as a boxster. With better street tires and complete suspension upgrade then its closer to being comparable. I don't understand the comment about R-comps only being worth 0.5 sec . In the case of the BMW, I think its reasonable to expect that R-comps will cut around 4 seconds over max performance street tires. With R-comps and track alignment compared to RFT without camber plates, it will be a huge difference. Some of that will come from turning off the DTC when you move to better tires with more ability to handle heat. Your driving looks nice already. I'm sure with more seat time and car development you will catch up with your friend in the boxter.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 06:10 AM   #32
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep

awesome, thanks guys. Really appreciate the comments on my driving, and welcome any feedback. I try my best to be smooth. I have done several SCCA Evolution autocross schools and they have always emphasized smooth driving inputs and a controlled approach.

I was surprised to be so far off his stock Boxster time, but he and his other drivers have A LOT of time on this track. Obviously for me, my first time. I watched a video from him a few days before I drove the track to learn the line and the corners and I think that helped tremendously.

Also on review of my video, there seems to be a couple places where I think I could have shifted up into 3rd and maybe gained a little more speed before braking. Where do you guys shift at (what rpm)?

I do think I could brake later, especially at the end of the front straight, but I didn't want to tax the stock OEM pads and fluid too hard my first time out.

So I'm thinking for next time, hopefully some sticky street compounds (thinking about the Potenza RE-71's?), maybe some new brake pads and definitely DOT5 or similar fluid. Can you guys recommend a streetable pad that offers some performance increase over OEM?
      06-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #33
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
awesome, thanks guys. Really appreciate the comments on my driving, and welcome any feedback. I try my best to be smooth. I have done several SCCA Evolution autocross schools and they have always emphasized smooth driving inputs and a controlled approach.

I was surprised to be so far off his stock Boxster time, but he and his other drivers have A LOT of time on this track. Obviously for me, my first time. I watched a video from him a few days before I drove the track to learn the line and the corners and I think that helped tremendously.

Also on review of my video, there seems to be a couple places where I think I could have shifted up into 3rd and maybe gained a little more speed before braking. Where do you guys shift at (what rpm)?

I do think I could brake later, especially at the end of the front straight, but I didn't want to tax the stock OEM pads and fluid too hard my first time out.

So I'm thinking for next time, hopefully some sticky street compounds (thinking about the Potenza RE-71's?), maybe some new brake pads and definitely DOT5 or similar fluid. Can you guys recommend a streetable pad that offers some performance increase over OEM?
EBC Yellowstuff-R. They fell about right in the middle of OEM, and Hawk DTC70 for me. Only thing to note about the EBC is that you MUST bed them in with fresh rotors, exactly as EBC instructions say to do, otherwise, pad wear and performance will not be strong. Their instructions are on their website.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 02:31 AM   #34
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I use Ferodo DS2500 pads with Hardbrakes 1.0mm Titanium shims for heat insulation of the brake pistons. They are good pads and work very well on the street, except a bit noisy. The other useful mod is to bend the metal dust shields away from the front brake rotor to get a bit more air flow.

I generally shift at 6000rpm. If you are using the stock intercooler, the top end power will start to fall off. In that case it would be better to shift a bit earlier for 3rd -> 4th and 4th -> 5th changes.
Appreciate 0