BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
livnpaintball2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 N54

New pad time

Going to do a brake job on my 135 and have a question on pads. I want to use either EBC or StopTech pads. Only problem is I have never used these brands, actually this is my first time to purchase performance pads. Chime in please!

Ps I hate the dusting of the stock pads...

Car will see minor track time
      07-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnpaintball2 View Post
Going to do a brake job on my 135 and have a question on pads. I want to use either EBC or StopTech pads. Only problem is I have never used these brands, actually this is my first time to purchase performance pads. Chime in please!

Ps I hate the dusting of the stock pads...

Car will see minor track time
I've used EBC yellows on past cars, better than stock in most cases for street and track with noticeable dusting. I'm currently running StopTech performance pads on my 135 and have tracked with these pads. They work well/ok for both but optimal conditions are when they have a bit of heat in them. Modulation is good but initial bite is a bit lacking for my taste at lower temps but it's all about trade-offs really. I've found the StopTech pads dust about as much as the OEM pads from what I can tell with normal daily driving. Track dust is to be expected, lots of it.

I don't track often (3-5 times a year) so my goal was to find a pad that could handle the excessive heat of a couple hard session and still be tolerable for street use. The pad wear on track was noticeable but at the price you really can't complain. To note I also run Motul RBF 600 fluid.

If you don't like dust (or just that it's PITA to remove) try a wheel wax/sealant, it helps a ton. I also use Sonax wheel cleaner, hands down the best I've ever used.

Hope this helps.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
livnpaintball2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 N54

Thxs for your reply E82M, I was either going to use the reds or stoptech. Sounds like the stoptech will fit the bill!