BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #23
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
So this is proactive?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574781

Maybe Cobb should test their stuff before opening Beta maps to the public.
I like the post below myself...People never read this stuff. You can find all kinds of bad info on any tuner out there online. This isn't anything new. You know how many engines the original jb blew up? Neither do I, but the answer is a lot. Doesn't mean you'll see it in here, but the dealers sure saw it!

"Cobb specifically said that running 2.03 or earlier maps on 3.0 beta firmware will produced undesired effecs."
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 01:24 AM   #24
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

I just switched from the JB4 to the Cobb yesterday, the JB4 worked great for me for a couple months then all sudden top end power just up and dissapeared with no apparent problems, after the last 3 weeks of diagnosing I finally decided I'd just order the Accessport and see if it helped.

Well car runs beautifully with the Cobb map, very very smooth power delivery, torque feels better than it ever did, top end has returned with a vengeance. Really I couldn't be happier with the tune, I did some logs and everything looks great, no timing is being pulled, boost control is smooth, everything just looks great and I won't be going back to a piggyback.
      09-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #25
El Flaco
livin la vida rapida!!
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M Package

Garage List
2010 135i  [1.00]
I made the transition from JB4 to Cobb and I don’t regret it... Yes maybe JB4 has a little more hp, but to tell you the truth I can't notice the different. However it is much smoother than the JB4, and also having the convenience of installing and uninstalling in less than 20 min is a no brainer!!
      09-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #26
Juicehead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post

JB4 has the most N54 cars in the 11second range. Cobb is not faster than a JB4. It may be more convenient yes because you use a hand held flash tuner but that is it.
Not to start an "argument" but...

I am kind of tired of people trying to compare Stage 2 JB4 to Stage 1 Cobb... like that youtube video that was posted.

If you are going make a valid comparision, wait till Cobb Stage 2 is released and do an apples to apples comparison.

Honestly, I contemplated moving to JB4 until one, I saw the initial numbers for the stage 2 beta last week and two, the 3.01 maps that were released. I will not make a solid decision until I get stage 2 installed on the car.

Both setups have their strengths and weaknesses, but to says one is "faster" than the other, to me, is just an incorrect statement.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #27
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

I'm personally not concerned with one making 5-15 more hp. Whatever tune runs my motor in manner in which is makes good power and is happy (meaning no knock) is what prefer. For my car the JB4 just wasn't a great solution, lots of timing correction whether it was 95F out or 70. My logs with the Cobb are spot on with what you'd want to see.

I think if your OK with the fact that a FMIC upgrade will greatly improve the functionality of a solution that targets load the Cobb is a fantastic option.
      01-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
München
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

I don't know if I should go COBB

I am running the newest JB4 Stage 3 with
The G5 box. I have owned several turbocharged
cars, this is my 2nd German turbocharged car,
out of 5. But carrying on has anyone taken a
closer look on what dyno meter that the cars
have been strapped on, JB4 was on a dynojet
and Cobb was on a Mustang load bearing dyno.

This saying looks like the COBB makes more power
regardless of it spiking at a higher boost pressure.
Yes I agree that currently the JB4 makes or seems
to make power with less boost, which
is / has less tensile load to the engine.

A/F and Timing and Vanos plays a important roll which I believe the
Cobb does, and the JB4 relies on the factory MAP.
I myself is on the fence on purchasing
a AP. The features of JB4 has a lot of features
That Cobb doesn't, but bottom line is what makes more
Power stage per stage?

Not really a fan excessive boost taper, I don't know if you can
Tweak the COBB or run an independent MBC like a
Hallman Pro RX to hold boost like 13 or 15 psi until redline.

I have asked BMS question and Terry replies very
quickly. I just feel like running both.
but the MAP 5 is kinda weird. Boost fluctuates
and not consistent.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #29
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

I have both Jb4 and Cobb, I can say I was less worried installing the Jb4 than I was with flashing the Cobb file. I was locked inside my car, unable to open the door for about 30mins as the Cobb AP backed up my ecu and flashed the new file. I was so worried about moving the damn Cobb AP that if it disconnected or something I could brick my ECU.

anyhow, if you want power get JB4, if your a brand whore get cobb.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #30
DevinN55135i
Rep
Drives: White 2010 N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigragu99
Hey guys I have been hearing alot about the new cobb about how wicked fast there cars have become..I like my jb4,but I heard that the cobb is a much better tune..I have so far as mods, the jb4 and the dci's but I would love to try the cobb accces port!!

Can I leave my jb4 on map 0(STOCK MAP)and flash the car with the cobb to see what I like better?.I also plan on doing catless d.ps maybe sometime next week.Will the map 2 with my d.p's make much more power?Has anyone dumped the jb4 for the cobb,and if so are you more happy now??thanks.
Cob all the way
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #31
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
I have both Jb4 and Cobb, I can say I was less worried installing the Jb4 than I was with flashing the Cobb file. I was locked inside my car, unable to open the door for about 30mins as the Cobb AP backed up my ecu and flashed the new file. I was so worried about moving the damn Cobb AP that if it disconnected or something I could brick my ECU.

jb4 is great, but you are a brand whore if you go with a flash tune vs. a piggyback? Give me a break.

Not saying it hasn't happened, but I haven't heard of a single car getting bricked while installing Cobb - the fact that you were so terrified about it is irrelevant.

The fact that Terry now sells the Cobb unit and has a cobb map to support the jb4 speaks volumes.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #32
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
jb4 is great, but you are a brand whore if you go with a flash tune vs. a piggyback? Give me a break.

Not saying it hasn't happened, but I haven't heard of a single car getting bricked while installing Cobb - the fact that you were so terrified about it is irrelevant.

The fact that Terry now sells the Cobb unit and has a cobb map to support the jb4 speaks volumes.
+1
      01-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #33
andnkuhn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i.N55.6SPD.M-SPORT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Is it pointless to get either JB4 or COBB without upgrading if im still running stock runflats?
      01-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andnkuhn
Is it pointless to get either JB4 or COBB without upgrading if im still running stock runflats?
Not pointless at all. Plenty of people buy just the Cobb or JB4 and stop there. They are clearly the biggest and most cost effective upgrade.
      01-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #35
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I agree, you may have limited traction in first and second gear but once your car is rolling it will pull much harder, plus it's just fun trying to controll the beast.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #36
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i

This has to be the dumbest thing I've read in a good long time. Locked in your car? Put window down, plug in, close door, yank cable to test for slack, hit the go button. If you have a garage, leave it running and have a beer. If not, good time to invite a few friends over to keep you occupied, play some games on your phone, text your wang to some girl, etc.

You make the flash process sound like some kind of gulag. That's just silly.

Changing maps with AP's has always been a breeze.
      01-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #37
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
This is a little misleading...

The fact is that Burger is making good use of the accessport to gain access to the DME. He is smart enough to understand how to maximize the benefits of both the flash and piggyback. Burger is using their own custom map and not one from Cobb

Basically the flash controls timing and fuel
JB4 controls boost, CAN, meth, and safety features.

I have had very good luck with this stacked setup so far!

But back to the original question of switching. I would look at stacking the tune vs leaving one for the other.
      01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #38
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickcruiser View Post
This is a little misleading...
Not really misleading. My response was to someone saying if you want power go jb4, if you are brand whore go cobb.

The fact is, in big horsepower setups, Terry is now using his cobb map to deal with fueling issues (among other things) that cannot be addressed with the jb4 alone.

So saying to go jb4 (and, by extension, not cobb) if you want power is silly at best.

I can see where stacking has its appeal, especially if using meth. And there is the isolated boost control - but, to be honest, I am not sure what that means or what it buys you in real world performance.

Personally, I am thinking of ditching my jb4 for a cobb unit. Keep it simple. Let the flash do everything. If I want meth, get a dedicated meth controller and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #39
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

All this thread really proves is that there are fanboys of everything.

I like Terry and BMS because he has been working on our N54 engines since they came out. Cobb however, is bigger and has lots of experience working on other cars. They definitely know what they are doing. They BOTH know what they're doing. JB4 can do more with meth and other features, and Cobb can do more with fueling (should be noted that both are pretty limited because our fuel pumps themselves can only pump so much, regardless of programming, and that's the biggest problem with upgraded turbo setups it seems).

There are advantages and limitations of each, and it's stupid to argue over what's "better". I really don't find the install of the JB4 annoying enough to justify the higher cost of the Cobb AP. That's my personal opinion, and that's what it is... an opinion. Also, as mentioned, I appreciate Terry as an enthusiast where I see Cobb more of as a big company that is trying to branch out and tap every market it can, while BMS sticks with BMW and just barely started tuning some Mercedes engines very recently. Again, that's just my perception/opinion. I could be wrong, and what I perceive could matter very little to others. I would personally get a Procede over either, but I already paid for a JB4 and it's plenty fast for me, especially with meth. You are entitled to your own opinions. Stuff like this is what idiots on ricer forums fight over. I'd hope if you can afford this car, you'd be intelligent enough to realize that not everything is black and white.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #40
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

^ agreed. For me it is not even about the ease of install on one vs. the other. I just like the idea of a flash tune vs. intercepting and altering signals from the dme.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #41
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:

I had JB4, switched to Cobb and made a LOT more power with it. What gives?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #42
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
I had JB4, switched to Cobb and made a LOT more power with it. What gives?

Thats your opinion but dyno charts dont lie. Jb4 makes more power up top compared to cobb ots.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #43
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Thats your opinion but dyno charts dont lie. Jb4 makes more power up top compared to cobb ots.
Dyno charts don't show real world performance, they are great for providing baselines and deltas after doing modifications though.

It is pretty much a fact that my car got faster after switching. Here is the proof:

JB4 on map 7, fmic, dps on stock runflats

Cobb OTS E30 map, fmic, dps on stock runflats

Keep in mind I have gone faster than that Cobb time, but I wanted to show the closest 60fts to each other. It is pretty evident that I was making more power with Cobb due to the trap speed differences in the 1/8th and the 1/4 speeds. All of this is done WITHOUT METH. Thanks for playing.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #44
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Dyno charts don't show real world performance, they are great for providing baselines and deltas after doing modifications though.

It is pretty much a fact that my car got faster after switching. Here is the proof:

JB4 on map 7, fmic, dps on stock runflats
[IMG]http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=624635&d=1325175102

Cobb OTS E30 map, fmic, dps on stock runflats
[IMG]http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q658/rnmevo9/Cobbe30map.jpg

Keep in mind I have gone faster than that Cobb time, but I wanted to show the closest 60fts to each other. It is pretty evident that I was making more power with Cobb due to the trap speed differences in the 1/8th and the 1/4 speeds. All of this is done WITHOUT METH. Thanks for playing.

God knows what fuel you ran on map7. And with jb4 some people like to play with settings which end up fudging things up.

Or you could be the very few that have issues with jb4 and didnt make proper power.

Comparing slips vs comparing dyno runs.... slips will have more variation compared to dyno runs.

And as I said jb4 makes more power up top compared to cobb ots.
Appreciate 0