BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
aevus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Problem fitting LUX V4's into e82 135i Headlight.

Hi guys, I can not for the life of me fully fit the black box on the LUX V4's into the e82 xenon headlight. I did search and found this topic:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=lux+v4

I really, seriously tried to fit it like that but there is still a visible gap on the side of the AE when I try to seal the unit with the cover. I also believe I did place in the LUX LED bulb correctly. I did take a picture of it lit up and of how the bulb is placed.

I've given up right now (as my stomach and gf are demanding lunch!) and something worse happened .....I put the OEM halogen AE and tried to fully position the clip on the right side (driver's side headlight, right side looking at the car front view) the clip came loose and fell into the oblivion that is the bottom of this car apparently, as I hear it in the bottom but I can't see an access point. Apparently the whole front bottom of this car is covered. Please help if you know how to get to the bottom of this (punnnnn) or if not, I will search for clips online when I come back but if anybody knows where to get those please let me know.

Anyways, I just picked her up yesterday. It is a 2011 135i with the M-sport (doesn't every 135 have that pckg?) This must've been another enthusiast's vehicle as it came with the blacked grilles with the ///M stripes (I like them, but I think they only go in true M cars IMHO, the stripes that is) and the carbon fiber BMW ducktail spoiler (which I really wanted to get anyway so yay!)

I did install the blackline LCI tail lights this morning. It took me @ 10 mins.

Then the pain began with the V4's.

Here is some pictures of the situation, and my car as well, but I realize this is mostly the cosmetic section so my apologies if this has somehow turned in to a hybrid topic of me introducing myself to this forum and my need of help because of my absolute inability to install these.

I hope LUX chimes in as their DIY on their website is good but I really would like an specific picture/DIY on how to fit these in.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
E46NAQ7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

I kid you not when I say this was the most frustrating install I've done so far on my
1er. I hope you get everything sorted.
      10-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
aevus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by naqvibmw View Post
I kid you not when I say this was the most frustrating install I've done so far on my
1er. I hope you get everything sorted.
Thank you,

By the way, how did you end up positioning the V4 Black Box into the housing?

Also, did you happen to drop the metal clip in to the infinity it is the bottom of these cars? I am now beginning to realize that I better get that out as many topics here state that those clips are not for sale and that I would practically have to buy a new headlight. :'(

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
E46NAQ7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevus View Post
Thank you,

By the way, how did you end up positioning the V4 Black Box into the housing?

Also, did you happen to drop the metal clip in to the infinity it is the bottom of these cars? I am now beginning to realize that I better get that out as many topics here state that those clips are not for sale and that I would practically have to buy a new headlight. :'(

Thanks!
I put it on the back cover, I used velcro to fasten it right at the bottom where there should be a flat space and enough clearance so that it doesn't disrupt the motor. I would just take off the bottom tray and retrieve it. It doesn't help that there is virtually no space on the right hand side.
      10-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Mate, I cringe when I think of the time when I installed PIAA bulbs in my wife's 135i. Absolutely nightmare. And that was a direct bulb replacement. You're messing with LUX LEDs that need that annoying box. NO WAY fill that fit in there. People have destroyed their headlights installing them.

PS: how are you hands looking? Any bleeding?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
aevus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by naqvibmw View Post
I put it on the back cover, I used velcro to fasten it right at the bottom where there should be a flat space and enough clearance so that it doesn't disrupt the motor. I would just take off the bottom tray and retrieve it. It doesn't help that there is virtually no space on the right hand side.
Thanks. I will try that tomorrow!

I am not giving up this time but if I find no viable way to fit these in then I'll just return the AE's and simply purchase a design from One Eighty NYC. I already had a quote floating with those guys and well, I guess I'll have to spend more than I thought.

Also, tomorrow I guess I need to find a way to remove the front cover that is underneath the engine (the aerodynamic valance? ) since that is where one of my metal clips is residing right now :/.

It's too bad if I can't fit and seal these LUX's perfectly, as I really liked the way they looked.

Thanks for your help though!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
aevus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Mate, I cringe when I think of the time when I installed PIAA bulbs in my wife's 135i. Absolutely nightmare. And that was a direct bulb replacement. You're messing with LUX LEDs that need that annoying box. NO WAY fill that fit in there. People have destroyed their headlights installing them.

PS: how are you hands looking? Any bleeding?
Oh man, you're telling me!

Any tips or even (hopefully ) pics on how you managed to fit these in the minute dynamic xenon headlight? Any specific how to's are appreciated . As I mentioned above, I will give it one last try tomorrow. I consider myself a pretty good DYI'er but this is by far one the most difficult ones, although the reward is very good.

And about my hands.....when I met my gf for lunch she thought I'd been watching Fight Club again.....

EDIT: Apparently I forgot how to read since you mention that you had a different set of AE's. Oh well :/

Last edited by aevus; 10-18-2014 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: Misread something
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Oh man, you're telling me!

Any tips or even (hopefully ) pics on how you managed to fit these in the minute dynamic xenon headlight? Any specific how to's are appreciated . As I mentioned above, I will give it one last try tomorrow. I consider myself a pretty good DYI'er but this is by far one the most difficult ones, although the reward is very good.

And about my hands.....when I met my gf for lunch she thought I'd been watching Fight Club again.....

EDIT: Apparently I forgot how to read since you mention that you had a different set of AE's. Oh well :/
Where in Austin are you?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
aevus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where in Austin are you?
South Austin, by 35 and 71/ ben white.

I need to disassemble the front under valance/bumper to get to the headlight clip. I am finishing breakfast and will try to endure the PITA that this will be haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
South Austin, by 35 and 71/ ben white.

I need to disassemble the front under valance/bumper to get to the headlight clip. I am finishing breakfast and will try to endure the PITA that this will be haha.
I suppose if you cannot find the headlight clip, you can always source a new one, right? Maybe a REALLY strong magnet will make short work of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
aevus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I suppose if you cannot find the headlight clip, you can always source a new one, right? Maybe a REALLY strong magnet will make short work of it?
Are you in ATX as well?

Well I do hope to get to it, but if not I'll either break down and buy custom headlights from one eighty nyc or buy a used one on ebay, as I saw a couple of used ones in great condition (I'll just use it for spare parts or maybe try to code in LCI's) for @ 200 bucks so it isn't too bad. I just can't deal with AHL/Xenon failures or condensation.

I haven't started the battle yet :P I am laaazy but I am about to! -CROSSES FINGERS!-
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Are you in ATX as well?

Well I do hope to get to it, but if not I'll either break down and buy custom headlights from one eighty nyc or buy a used one on ebay, as I saw a couple of used ones in great condition (I'll just use it for spare parts or maybe try to code in LCI's) for @ 200 bucks so it isn't too bad. I just can't deal with AHL/Xenon failures or condensation.

I haven't started the battle yet :P I am laaazy but I am about to! -CROSSES FINGERS!-
Sounds good mate, keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
aevus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good mate, keep us posted.
Ok.....

so.....

THERE IS NO WAY IN THIS GOD FORSAKEN WORLD TO FIT THAT F*****G BLACK BOX IN THERE!

I've google'd A LOT, I mean....A LOT! of threads and apparently the only guys to have had installed LUX AE's in E82's were the V3's which after some research, the black box seems to be much slimmer.

I give up. I tried @ 7 hrs combined on this and it just got ridiculous.

I guess I'll have to fork big $$ and buy custom headlights if I want that LCI look.

I've e-mailed LUX customer service to get a refund minus their fees.

IF anybody KNOWS I am wrong, please CORRECT ME! As I really liked the way the AE's look with the V4's....just not enough to risk AHL/Condensation or any type of headlight failure.

Thanks to everybody who chimed in!

Back to regular, old amber AE's in the meantime....

Last edited by aevus; 10-19-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
Reapur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

If I remember correctly there's a Phillips made halogen bulb which is a direct oe replacement that's 8000k in temperature and looks pretty Damn close to LED. And you don't have to worry about the LED heat issues.

Here's a link to the long long thread.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892802
Appreciate 0