BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

BMW intake

I bought my 2008 128i used from a BMW dealer. It came with a BMW performance intake and exhaust. I just cleaned the trapazoidal oiled gauze intake. (which, by the way, requires taking the entire box out and disassembling it...) There was still a paper filter behind the gauze filter. Is that supposed to be there or should it have been removed when the new filter was installed?Though I bought it from BMW, I don't know who installed the intake. I found the installation instructions on line and depending on how you read them,I can see how it could be interpreted either way, but I think that it should not have been reused. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Schwartz View Post
There was still a paper filter behind the gauze filter. Is that supposed to be there or should it have been removed when the new filter was installed?
That second black filter is the permanent Charcoal Filter. Many people choose to cut it out since it is molded into the air box and is only there to prevent some emissions particles. The e39 m5 first had it and people would always remove it on m5 msg boards

Look up info on it on e90post.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
That second black filter is the permanent Charcoal Filter. Many people choose to cut it out since it is molded into the air box and is only there to prevent some emissions particles. The e39 m5 first had it and people would always remove it on m5 msg boards

Look up info on it on e90post.
The thing is that it is not a black filter. It is a white paper filter. In the instalation instructions it says to remove the back of the box and original filter and then reuses the back of the box but does not specify whether the paper filter should also be reused or not but implies that it is not reused.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
you should remove any filter between your burgundy colored BMW Performance/K&N filter and the black/dark grey Charcoal filter.
The original OEM air filter has an orange rubber border.
If you want, this is a great time to learn how to remove the charcoal filter as per DIY on e90post.

I hope i understood you correctly, if I havent can you help us understand with a few photos.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0