BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Blue24
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Macht Shnell 3" coated dps

Anyone have any history with these pipes and the heat coating personally? Is it worth the extra cash? Or should I just get the non coated? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
BadOneThreeFive
Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Coated DPs is a waste. The only time you see them is when you look under the car. IMO save some cash and just buy SS DPs and call it a day. just my 2 cents.
- JB4 G5 Map 3 75 Meth Additive with RACE DME flash
- MS-109 and 100% meth injection (Single CM12 nozzle)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135 tuorbbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertbenson30 View Post
Coated DPs is a waste. The only time you see them is when you look under the car. IMO save some cash and just buy SS DPs and call it a day. just my 2 cents.
I have the coated version,and the only reason why I bought them cause they gave to me for the same price as the no. Coated ..In the end he's right your never going to see the pipe from underneath..I would say the quality is not bad if compared to ar ,but the fitment is spot on ..p.s make sure they gave you all the bolts and gaskets with the kit mine was missing !!)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

I thought the coated had something to do with the heat? Not too sure, maybe you could try a search...

Kcc
      09-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

I have the non coated since they are stainless and not going to be subject to salt air as much. I am not sure how they would stand up to snow and salt air during the winter time in your area though. They should be ok. The heat benefit is not going to be noticed unless you are tracking the car really heavy. My installer said they went in really nice. No fitment issues like the AR's he has installed in the past.
      09-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Personally I think it is worth to spend the small amount of money to have them coated. These cars run extremely hot and any heat you can keep inside your exhaust rather than your engine bay is a good thing. BMW uses some semi-exotic steels in their exhaust systems and very trick air gap separated parts for managing heat in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

The coating isn't for show, so it doesn't matter that the DP is under the car and you can't see it. A thermal coating will help insulate the downpipe and greatly reduce the amount of heat radiating from it and into your car / engine. Generally, it helps with overheating, which our cars tend to do under stress. There's also a case to be made that heated air is more energetic and therefore moves faster. Hypothetically, the faster moving air would be moving away from the engine faster and the exhaust would "flow better." I'm not totally convinced of this, but some people are. I think it's a generally good idea to coat for the sake of keeping hot air out of the engine bay, unless you're on a really tight budget.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

The above just about sums up my point of view.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
The coating isn't for show, so it doesn't matter that the DP is under the car and you can't see it. A thermal coating will help insulate the downpipe and greatly reduce the amount of heat radiating from it and into your car / engine. Generally, it helps with overheating, which our cars tend to do under stress. There's also a case to be made that heated air is more energetic and therefore moves faster. Hypothetically, the faster moving air would be moving away from the engine faster and the exhaust would "flow better." I'm not totally convinced of this, but some people are. I think it's a generally good idea to coat for the sake of keeping hot air out of the engine bay, unless you're on a really tight budget.
I dont really see the heat being a big issue for a street car. The catted stockers get far hotter then the catless DP's would ever get. It has been in the low 100's here the last few weeks and I drive my car a lot and so far I dont see my car get much above 220 and most of the time it is around 200-210. There is truth to the coated ones being overall a better way to go for an all out racer who needs ever bit out of the car. Thermal dynamics comes into play when they are coated and since the heat is trapped inside the pipe more than a non-coated pipe the air will move faster and basically flow more. that difference is not going to be seen or felt on the street. If you plan to track the car often then I say go for the coated ones for sure.
      09-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
Blue24
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

You guys are all great and much appreciated. Everyone's views are very true, and at the end of the day it's still just a street car(bad ass fucker) but a street car thus the same. I'll grab a set of the non coated Macht Shnell for a Hundo less and put it towards a meth kit or intercooler. Got to be honest the meth works so well I might try it with the stock ic. Anybody have luck with a good vender that might like a loyal customer ?maybe east coast with actual parts in stock, just sayn lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #11
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
I dont really see the heat being a big issue for a street car. The catted stockers get far hotter then the catless DP's would ever get. It has been in the low 100's here the last few weeks and I drive my car a lot and so far I dont see my car get much above 220 and most of the time it is around 200-210. There is truth to the coated ones being overall a better way to go for an all out racer who needs ever bit out of the car. Thermal dynamics comes into play when they are coated and since the heat is trapped inside the pipe more than a non-coated pipe the air will move faster and basically flow more. that difference is not going to be seen or felt on the street. If you plan to track the car often then I say go for the coated ones for sure.
Wow..you are speaking of oil temps right? How the hell are you running so cool?? I have the HPF intercooler, no tune and a bms intake and when driving aggressively after the car has heated up, its always at atleast 230 unless the outside temps are below 75. Its gotten up to 250 a couple times on real hot sunny days with mostly stop n go driving as well. Are you running meth?
Appreciate 0