BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
S@mster
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

**********s front lip, any experience?

Hi guys,

new to the forum, awesome forum BTW.

I bought my 135i a few weeks ago, and I'm looking for some carbon bits. I see that iCarbon do an awesome front lip for the car, but from what I've been reading it looks like they aren't in business any more. **********s have a very similar looking lip, but I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them regarding fit and finish?

http://www.**********s.com/ModBargai...2-E88-135i.htm

Normally I wouldn't mind buying something to try it out, but I'm in South Africa, so if it doesn't fit right, shipping back and fourth can get more expensive than the actual part itself.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Onederer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

You can certainly try and shoot them a PM. I was also interested in this lip as well, but when 2 of my PM's were left unanswered about availability, I looked elsewhere.
Best of luck!
      06-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
S@mster
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Thanks bud.

On doing some further research, it appears that **********s actually distribute for iCarbon... which "seems" to be back in business. I suppose that's why the lips look so similar

Will try and send them a PM and see what happens.

Does anybody know who does a rep of the OEM carbon splitters, they also look pretty hot, but haven't seen a replica?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

It's a good price but I have installed and cracked two of them on my car. I know carbon fiber is the trendy thing right now but it's a brittle as porcelain. Even a slight hit will put small cracks in the clearcoat. These should be made out of dense plastic or rubber.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@mster View Post
Thanks bud.

On doing some further research, it appears that **********s actually distribute for iCarbon... which "seems" to be back in business. I suppose that's why the lips look so similar

Will try and send them a PM and see what happens.

Does anybody know who does a rep of the OEM carbon splitters, they also look pretty hot, but haven't seen a replica?
I'm not too certain if iCarbon is back in business. I think it is more feasible that since iCarbon has been dead for a while, other manufacturers have begun to cast and create replicas of their old products. I lean toward this because the prices for the recent iCarbon styled products are significantly more expensive than iCarbons. New stuff is about half the cost. Replica CF parts are always much cheaper because they do not have R&D costs, as those were paid by the original designer, and only have materials and casting costs to mark up which either allows them to make higher profits or lower their prices significantly.

EDIT: I am only talking about iCarbon USA. iCarbon Germany has continued to make stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
It's a good price but I have installed and cracked two of them on my car. I know carbon fiber is the trendy thing right now but it's a brittle as porcelain. Even a slight hit will put small cracks in the clearcoat. These should be made out of dense plastic or rubber.
Any carbon fiber lip (or part) regardless of brand will splinter if hit.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
nnguyen04
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

any replica like this lip but made with poly urethane?
Appreciate 0