BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
jthorst75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 ///M Coupe

Installed H&R rear sway bar today

I installed the H&R rear sway bar today and it wasn't that bad of an install. But I did have a lift which is not really necessary but makes things easier. It took roughly 2 hours in which we took our time an B.S.ed some of it. I had no instructions or no D.I.Y from the forum; we just got underneath and figured what needed to come off. I started by taking the "V" brace off for those who have a vert. I removed the 2 bolts and rubber hanger at the cat for the exhaust and sat it on a jack stand. I undid the clips that held the sensors and lines for some added play. I then removed the nuts on the bottom side of the shocks. I then removed the 4 bolts that held the subframe and the other 4 bolts on the arms that were held on by the front 2 bolts for the subframe (you'll know what i am talking about if you decide to do it). Then i raised the car up while the rearend was resting on a floor jack roughly 3-4 inches. I removed the old sway bar installed the beefier new one and reversed the process. Sorry for no pics but i had no camera at the time; but if you have any questions P.M. me. Good luck and oh yeah--big big difference, much needed mod.
      06-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Bim135AUS
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

Did you already install the front H& R sway before installing the rear one?

If so, did you find that you had a little more understeer with the front bar which is why you went for the rear as well?

I installed the front H&R sway two weeks ago and am going with the rear one next week as well, due to the increased understeer.

The front bar certainly reduced body roll but introduced more understeer which I am hoping will be dialled out with the rear bar
BMW 135I manual AW, red Coral, Procede processor, CDV, SprintBooster, H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars, Yokohama AO50's, SouthernBM camber plates, BMW Performance Rotors, Dinan Cold Air Intake, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Oil Cooler, HPF Intercooler, Koni Front Sport Yellows, M3 rear subframe bushes
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
jthorst75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I installed the front sway bar last week but I installed the rear one since I ordered them together. The front was good by itself but you could definitley tell that the rear sway bar needed changed going into turns; it gave me little confidence. I also lowered mine too which also played into the body roll/understeer ratio. Now it feels like it is planted to the ground.
      07-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Bim135AUS
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

A quick question for jthorst75:

I picked up a rear H&R sway bar a few days ago and noticed that it comes with the two rubber mountings, as the OE one would obviously be too small given that the OE bar is 12mm compared with 20mm for H &R bar.

The H&R bar did not come with the metal support flanges that fit over the rubber mounts though. Does that mean that I can re-use these metal support flanges from my existing BMW sway bar and that they will work with the H&R bar?

Also, do the H&R supplied bigger rubber mounts fit the existing metal flanges from the BMW OE bar and susequently also fit onto the existing mounting points.

I just want to make sure that there are no dramas for the fitment.

Thanks for your help
BMW 135I manual AW, red Coral, Procede processor, CDV, SprintBooster, H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars, Yokohama AO50's, SouthernBM camber plates, BMW Performance Rotors, Dinan Cold Air Intake, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Oil Cooler, HPF Intercooler, Koni Front Sport Yellows, M3 rear subframe bushes
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
jthorst75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

in the advisory it states to reuse the original hardware. so yes use the factory brackets and bolts and they do fit fine to the new bushings. good luck with the install.
      07-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Bim135AUS
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Thanks! Much appreciated
Appreciate 0