BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #45
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Thanks for the good shots of the leatherette, I think that looks better than the leather in some cars I’ve had!

I remember when I had to learn a stick when I was 17. Took over my brother’s hand me down car and he just handed me the keys and said “Here, figure it out”. Couple of quick things I would advise although others may say different is when starting (1st is always the tough gear for novices) start out with 2-3k rpm and slowly release the clutch until you feel it begin to pull. Once that happens the RPM’s will dip some, just be gentle and add more gas while you release the clutch. Driving a manual is all about smooth pedal control. Release the clutch too fast and you’ll stall give it too much gas and you smell burning clutch.

Hard spots are stop and go traffic and being on a hill and stopped. A lot of people panic a bit as they are afraid they will drift back into the car behind them. If worst comes to worst engage the parking brake. Do your start as normal and then release the brake. Experience is the best teacher. Go out to a parking lot and just start and stop a lot. Or drive around a neighborhood on a Sunday afternoon and just get the feel of it.

Hell if you don’t embarrass easily just put a little sign in the back saying “New Stick driver”. A lot of people will cut you some slack as long as they know why you aren’t moving. Especially anyone who drives or has learned to drive a manual.

One you get better at it you can start rev matching on downshifts, heel toeing and so forth.

One you go manual you almost never go back well unless you have a 2 hour commute in stop and go traffic then an auto is a godsend.
Hmm I don't know why I missed this post, I remember seeing the other post when you mentioned Long Beach BMW robert. Anyway, I am currently learnng stick as well and want to get a manual 135, and I have expierenced all of the typical stuff new drivers experience. I am driving my buddy's manual car arount town at 11pm, so theres little traffic =P. Stop and go is the toughest, but mostly its the speed for me, I can release the clutch nice and smooth, just not very fast, which would suck if I am at a red light and people behind me start honking haha. I need to get used to down shifting, like when traffic slows down on the freeway.

Glad to know you are getting the hang of it with your new 135, it gives me confidence! Oh, how is the hill assist feature working for you? I figured it would be helpful for beginners
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:54 AM   #46
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Stop and go is the toughest, but mostly its the speed for me, I can release the clutch nice and smooth, just not very fast, which would suck if I am at a red light and people behind me start honking haha. I need to get used to down shifting, like when traffic slows down on the freeway.

Glad to know you are getting the hang of it with your new 135, it gives me confidence! Oh, how is the hill assist feature working for you? I figured it would be helpful for beginners
I know exactly how you feel. Getting the power down quick on first gear was a problem which I struggled with for awhile. Key to it is practice, practice and practice. Sometime last week, it just clicked. I didn't even notice it until I realized how fast I took off. I think this is what dna550 referred to as muscle memory.

Hill assist is a god send for new manual drivers.
      04-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #47
zoom1
Private
Rep
Drives:

Congrats on your sharp new baby. Have always thought manuals are more fun to drive. After a 8 or 9 year hiatus myself, I hope it is like riding a bike and "it all will come back to me," Enjoy your learning curve, it's all about practice, practice and more practice and what a great excuse to drive your 1er.
      04-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #48
energie
Private
Rep
Drives: honda civic

Nice color combination.

Robert, I noticed your phone parked just above the shifter - is there a convenient place to keep your phone while you're driving?

Almost seems like non-navi is preferable if storage is any priority? Dunno... thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #49
ItalianButter
Rep
Drives: 6MT BMW 135i, Ducati 620 Sport

"Can't find 'em...Grind 'em!"

-Awesome looking car... Good luck!
Configuration: 6MT, Black Boston Leather: Gray Poplar Wood: Premium Package: Sport Package: Heated Seats: Navigation: Satellite Radio: iPod and USB adaptor
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #50
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by en3rgie View Post
Nice color combination.

Robert, I noticed your phone parked just above the shifter - is there a convenient place to keep your phone while you're driving?

Almost seems like non-navi is preferable if storage is any priority? Dunno... thoughts?

I usually keep my phone in the door panel storage or in the astray above the shifter. Storage bin is a premium on this phone. Non-nav equiped cars will give you an extra cupholder, but not the dash bin as shown in European models - American model have a flat dash. The phone is actually laying on the shifter boot in that picture.
      04-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #51
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

that is the most "grown up" of all the colors. very nice and very sharp in an understated way. congratulations.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 05:13 AM   #52
groovyjay
Individual1
Rep
Drives:

1 looks so sharp in silver! :w00t:
Appreciate 0