BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
V8Beatr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Scopione Carbon Diffuser - Review - Lots of Pics

Ok, so another member recently pointed out Scopione as a new manufacturer of 135i carbon parts, well, here is the review of said companies product:

Let me start off by mentioning that my old EVO had a carbon fiber hood (VIS), full replacement roof (AMS), and trunk (VIS). Both VIS parts had imperfections and slight fitment issues. The AMS piece was a work of art but for $1,300.00 it should have been. I have NEVER seen another carbon 135i diffuser so I cannot compare it to others.

PRICE: (Grade B) (Still pricey for a carbon piece but MUCH better than what other companies are charging)

PACKAGING: (Grade B)

The packaging that the diffuser came in was more than adequate to protect it from damage during shipping. Don't get me wrong, had UPS smashed the package behind or under 1,000 other packages it may have damaged the diffuser, but that did not happen.

The diffuser was well wrapped in both bubble wrap, styrofoam peanuts, and plastic wrap.

FINISH: (Grade B)

The carbon finish of the diffuser was good, not perfect, but very good. As with all carbon products there are a few spots where the carbon weave was slightly bunched up or stretched. For the overall price of this product I will tolerate a few slight imperfections. Besides, on the car they are barely noticeable and anyone scrutinzing your car that closely has issues.

The inside (back) of the diffuser is an FRP material with carbon overlay on the outside. Full carbon may be preferable to some but overall I see NO issue with this design as it probably saves us a few bucks.

The stock diffuser has 6 mounting holes to secure it to the underside of the car, this piece only came with 5 holes which would have been sufficient at holding it in place. Because I don't like "Spare" parts and I am somewhat of a perfectionist I drilled the sixth hole. I was able to line the diffuser up against stock and with a tape measure and some guestimation it was pretty easy to get the new hole in the proper location. I also used tin snips to trim the washer on the sixth mounting screw, just so it fit perfectly.

There is one thing about this diffuser that I absolutely despise. The "Mesh" seems cheap and very easy to bend. Also, it is way too shiny for my liking. I may take the mesh out and paint it red or black, not sure yet. Replacing the mesh may be an option as well.

FIT: (Grade C+/B-)

There is a slight fitment issue. Now, this may be due to the uniqueness of my car and how my rear bumper sits, however some of the tabs that hold the diffuser to the bumper at the top to not fully "Snap" into place. A somewhat hard "Smack" (Lack of a better term) gets them to slide into place but I don't think that they are all really holding it in like the stock tabs do.

Additionally, on the right side toward the top where the rounded corner downturns toward the right edge of the bumper, well it was maybe 1/8 or so off so there is a slight gap on one side. Also, the tab located in the same location seems to just sit at the hole and not in it. I worked the diffuser back and forth and every which way to get it perfect, still no go. I even took it off 3 times to try different install methods for a better fitment but nothing would make it line up perfectly. I am not complaining as this is to be expected with aftermarket parts, especially ones that are more rigid than the stock piece.

Overall, once this was on the car and lined up (as best I could get it), it looked pretty good. No major gaps or alignment issues other than the one mentioned.

Obviously it is too early to tell if this will hold up to the elements, however I can tell you that even a slight bumper to bumper accident will destroy this piece. Kinda goes without saying as the same would occur with a trunk, hood, etc. made from carbon.

I do think that even at this price they could have improved on the quality a bit and could have definately made it fit perfectly, still making a decent profit.

Would I recommend this to someone over the $700+ ones out there, yes. Would I trade this one for a more expensive one that fits and looks perfect, yes. I do not think anyone will regret purchasing this diffuer.

On with the pics:

Last edited by V8Beatr; 06-29-2011 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
derekL
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMDUBS

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 128i  [6.96]
nice review, but i don't see any pictures

|Shadowline Grills|Hotchkis Front Sway Bar|DIY CF Black Fabric Trim|Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler|Black O.Z Ultraleggeras|BMW Performance Exhaust|M-Sport Bumpers w/ Fogs|Shadowline Diffuser|CSR Eyelids|BMW Performance Shifter/Boot and Handbrake|AFE stage 2 intake|Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit|///M mirrors|Blackline LCI|
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
V8Beatr
Private
Rep

Damn site is not letting me upload them.
      06-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
V8Beatr
Private
Rep

Uploading to photobucket, they will be on here shortly.
      06-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
NKatsim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BSM/Coral Red 135 Vert

Garage List
Very nice detailed review...thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i

Nice and quick review!

We 1 series owners are a hungry bunch
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
V8Beatr
Private
Rep

Photos are coming. 1 erred while uploading and I had to start over.
      06-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
funny you mention the tabs not really snapping into place. my iCarbon was the same exact way. it was the same on the sides as you describe too. however, it has been on my car for more than 3 weeks now and hasn't budged. i only used the 5 screws too. why they do not put the 6th hole in, i do not know. the iCarbon mesh comes black, which i love. i agree that you should paint it black. the iCarbon diffuser box came with really strong corner protectors, so that it something was placed on top, at least it would not deform the box.

can't wait to see pix!!
      06-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
V8Beatr
Private
Rep

Pics up...
      06-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Wow, that mesh is way to bright. I wonder if we can ask Scorpione to paint it black on the next batch.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Good review, seems like it's pretty decent considering the price for it. I would take it back off though, remove the mesh pieces and paint them black before putting it back on. But that's just what I would do.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
V8Beatr
Private
Rep

Think I am going to try and pick up some mesh that is powdercoated red and some black so I can see which I like best. I think the red may look good with the grey but if it looks RICE I will just go black.
      06-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Nice review OP. I agree 100% about the mesh as well. I think it is something the vendor could fix relatively easily or even us as consumers could change cheaply. I am definitely considering this as a less pricey option!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #14
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Beatr View Post
Think I am going to try and pick up some mesh that is powdercoated red and some black so I can see which I like best. I think the red may look good with the grey but if it looks RICE I will just go black.

Just take the old mesh off and spray paint it black...should be a easy enough DIY. Unless the powder coated mesh is dirt cheap....
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

agreed on the mesh...paint it ...asap...everything else looks good...Do they make any of there CF pieces in DRY/MATTE finish....?
      06-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
agreed on the mesh...paint it ...asap...everything else looks good...Do they make any of there CF pieces in DRY/MATTE finish....?
Nope, this is it until they release more products. But don't look forward to a Dry/Matte finish. More options = higher price.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Big thanks for the quick review.

What you described, except for the mesh color, was the Icarbon diffuser but at half the price.

Sames issues with tabs, bunched up carbon, etc.

Still, Looks good
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thank you for the detailed review.. for the price I think this piece looks decent.. same issue with the tabs on my icarbon piece.. and yes I would paint the mesh..

Overall if this company can produce carbon parts at decent prices they will win over some customers since all other companies produce about the same quality but charge double the price.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Great review! I placed a deposit yesterday, read this review in the morning and was a little bit worried until others chimed in saying that the iCarbon diffuser is of similar quality and has the same fitment.

I sent an email to Mike at Scopione asking if he can get us black mesh in place of the silver. I suggest everyone else do the same so that we can get the product we want, and they can get more sales.

V8Beatr.. is the mesh just glued on to the back? How easy do you think it would be to remove? If Scopione can't get us black mesh then I'll probably just tape off the diffuser front and back and just rattle-can the mesh black. Also, would you be so kind as to take a few pictures outside from a few yards away so we can get a more complete idea of what to expect?

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
V8Beatr
Private
Rep

I'll get some more pics up soon, from further away. The mesh will come right out no problem. They are held in with little bendable tabs that are molded in to the FRP material. Thinking of taking it out until I paint it.
      06-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #21
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Great review! I placed a deposit yesterday, read this review in the morning and was a little bit worried until others chimed in saying that the iCarbon diffuser is of similar quality and has the same fitment.

I sent an email to Mike at Scopione asking if he can get us black mesh in place of the silver. I suggest everyone else do the same so that we can get the product we want, and they can get more sales.

V8Beatr.. is the mesh just glued on to the back? How easy do you think it would be to remove? If Scopione can't get us black mesh then I'll probably just tape off the diffuser front and back and just rattle-can the mesh black. Also, would you be so kind as to take a few pictures outside from a few yards away so we can get a more complete idea of what to expect?
Already spoke with Mike "Greatly appreciate it for the link.
Actually, the new batch is scheduled to come in with black mesh in the diffuser."
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #22
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Good News!

Yup, like cooler2442 just mentioned, the next batch will have black mesh!

Just received this from Mike
Quote:
The next batch that is coming in of the diffusers, the one you pre-ordered, is actually going to have the mesh in black already.
I have to say, I'm already impressed by the responsiveness of Mike@ScopoioneUSA.

Can't wait to get mine!

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0