BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
1sonnyM
Rep
Drives: 1M

OBD cable and how to

Hi guys,

Need some help here. Bought a 1M couple of months back and there is 1 thing that is annoying me like crazy. Where I live there is this 120km/h speed limit warning that is mandatory. On the 1M the warning is 1 loud "bong" and a dash indication. There is an option for speed limit warning in the IDrive menu but deselecting it does not remove it! Even though I put the "bong" sound down to the minimum using the Idrive it is still too loud and annoying. I have not taken the car to the track but I'm sure I would find it even worse there. I would not mind (worst case scenario) keeping the dash indication but absolutely want to get rid of this aural warning.

So I guess my choice is to go down the OBD line but not sure how.
1st what type of cable do I need? I see that there is multiple OBD cables available. Which one do I need? Is the one in the link below ok? Or can I use something else?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-USB-OB...-/120818069365

Next is how will I proceed to remove the code for this aural warning? Can anybody direct me to a good procedure link?

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I am sure it can be coded out - because the rest of the world 1M's don't have that feature! lol Why not go to someone who knows how to do car coding in your area?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sonnyM View Post
Hi guys,

Need some help here. Bought a 1M couple of months back and there is 1 thing that is annoying me like crazy. Where I live there is this 120km/h speed limit warning that is mandatory. On the 1M the warning is 1 loud "bong" and a dash indication. There is an option for speed limit warning in the IDrive menu but deselecting it does not remove it! Even though I put the "bong" sound down to the minimum using the Idrive it is still too loud and annoying. I have not taken the car to the track but I'm sure I would find it even worse there. I would not mind (worst case scenario) keeping the dash indication but absolutely want to get rid of this aural warning.

So I guess my choice is to go down the OBD line but not sure how.
1st what type of cable do I need? I see that there is multiple OBD cables available. Which one do I need? Is the one in the link below ok? Or can I use something else?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-USB-OB...-/120818069365

Next is how will I proceed to remove the code for this aural warning? Can anybody direct me to a good procedure link?

Thanks for your help!
You Can NOT use this cable. Check for cables that explicitly state that they support the faster CAN-bus standard mostly referred to as D-can. They are usually towards ~100$/€/GBP

(this seller has buried this piece of vital information inside a lot of info:
"Important: This will work for BMW cars from 1991 to 2006/2007. This will not work on cars built from 03/2007 and newer cars (from when BMW started using D-can for OBD communication")

also ********* dot com has some good input. Although they are also poor/obsolete on giving good info on cable purchase. I've struggled with this myself.

good luck and there are already some 1M dedicated coding threads that you can post your progress in, although I agree with Dackel that this seems more of a national regional issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

in my previous post

******** = bmw coding (one word)
Appreciate 0