BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep
Drives: N/A

n00b question

Last edited by The Cthulhu; 08-17-2009 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

If you normally drive a stick without the CDV, it will bother you and you will get used to it. If you do not normally drive a stick the CDV may help you become smoother. I can see no other reason for it. Are you going to track this car? To the best of my knowledge the CDV has never interfered with a downshift; but, then I do not typically double clutch with this car and only occassionally double clutch in the track car. When I do double clutch in the 911 it is toward the end of a long session where the trans has gotten tighter and more difficult to shift. Believe me the difference between these two transmissions is night and day.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep

+1

I'm 23 and I've never driven an automatic in my life, except for rental cars. The parents made me take the road test on our stick shift saturn, and I've never considered an automatic since.

It sounds like when I pick the car up for european delivery, I'll need to put an
8mm socket, a small flat blade screw driver, a 10mm wrench, and possibly a little bit of hydraulic brake fluid in my checked luggage...

LOL.

Nannies piss me off. Tnx.

I'll track the car a few times, but not that frequently, since it'll be my daily driver. I plan on installing my performance steering wheel, short throw shifter kit, camber plates, better brake fluid, template brake pads, a big activated charcoal/oiled filter air box, and maybe a low profile painted lip spoiler (low profile lip, not a giant civic-style ricer wing monstrosity), but I draw the line at suspension modification. I would also never chip the car, as it may void my warranty. <cough> It's a heavy car loaded with performance and comfort features and it will never perform like my Lotus. I'll probably drive the track owned F2000 cars at limerock when I want to go fast.

Let me know if you guys have any thoughts on simple track mods that I may have neglected in the above paragraph (that's why I posted in this section )

Last edited by The Cthulhu; 06-03-2009 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

I've gotten completely used to the CDV. In fact I got used to it immediately. I never found it to be intrusive or annoying.
I've had people comment on how crazy smooth the car shifts.
Having said that, I am fundamentally opposed to anything that tries to "help" me drive. I bought the stick for a reason. If I didn't want to be involved in the drive I would've bought the automatic.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
vasracer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i 6spd Msport

i have a lotus elise that i have tracked, and it's hard to compare these 2 on the track...I am sure you can do a lot to the bmw, but why do anything? Stock its' fun, especially since you have the lotus to complement what the 1 is not. The lotus handles but has not torque, the bmw pushes, but has tons of power-oversteering torque. (Together they make one good M3, just kidding)

The lotus will be one of the last cars without "nannies"...and that's why we love 'em.

I don't know anything about the CDV, so i guess this is off-topic, sorry. It doesn't bother me, since I pretty much screw up every heel-and-toe anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep

My Lotus is dead, and I need a daily driver that *won't* get clipped in the rain by a moron. Enter BMW 135i.

I would kill the CDV, install a Procede after break-in, and do all the other minor performance mods if it wouldn't void my warranty. I'd never just remove anything noticible before warranty service and clean all the void codes with a scanner though, as it would be deceptive.

Oh, and the Exige S had 80% peak torque at around 2-3K RPM, and was a little monster from 4K to 8K rpm.

I'm not trying to match performance, just trying to kill the nannies and make my car all it can be without compromising drive train life too badly. I'd never do any of the things I've mentioned after reading the warranty agreement, however.
Appreciate 0