BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
kalare
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Styling cues of the M1

Just curious what everyone that was initially very excited about this car still thinks about the new styling? I don't want to hear M1 bashers...I still think the car will be great, and was initially very excited about it. This endless sneak peaking and whatnot has put a bad taste in my mouth and made me move on however and I've grabbed an M3 instead.

However, still interested in the car I keep a watchful eye out for information and pictures and am waiting for next week to see the full reveal. In any case, I'm really interested to see what people think. Personally, I think the M1 looks like a car that it's trying far too hard. Vents everywhere, front and back, huge rear diffuser area, dents in the fenders in lieu of vents...

In the past M styling, cues were strong, yet subtle...larger flares, power dome...now it almost looks as if the designers are looking at japanese imports and copying bits and pieces of them onto the M1. I truly hope the next series of M cars goes back to the original subtle M look. The difference between M3 to 3 and M5 to 5 used to not be so great such that most people would not notice unless they saw the badge on the trunk...the new M1 on the other hand looks like it could be spotted from a mile away in an ocean of regular 1's. Although I'm sure this car will be awesome from a handling point of view...I think I might feel strange driving this car that looks like it comes from the factory with a bit tacky (IMO) body kit.

Anyone else feel this way?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Nope, I don't feel that way and find it strange that the full reveal hasn't taken place and all the rushing to judgment on the forums about it. I reserve my opinion until the full reveal occurs and I actually see one; until then, it's still speculation. I guess my age and background make me a lot more patient than a lot of enthusiasts. Still, if ya love to speculate and form opinions on something not yet fully 'there' -- have fun!
      12-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

I think the styling is still quite subtle, most of what has been applied is either functional or to address the increase in size especially the front and rear bumpers/fenders.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbmw View Post
Nope, I don't feel that way and find it strange that the full reveal hasn't taken place and all the rushing to judgment on the forums about it. I reserve my opinion until the full reveal occurs and I actually see one; until then, it's still speculation. I guess my age and background make me a lot more patient than a lot of enthusiasts. Still, if ya love to speculate and form opinions on something not yet fully 'there' -- have fun!

+1

I personally don't feel the need to pass judgment until I see the final package. Even then it's only my humble opinion. I'm sure some people will like it others will not. I know you can not please everyone.

- J
      12-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

I honestly don't know why folks are getting all flustered. They said from the beginning, that the 1M would be a modern approach at the M3 e30. Was that "understatement"? No. It screamed "beast" into the face of anyone looking at it. And I personally am not worried about a couple of design dents. I want to know what the bottom line figure on the order form is going to be, what the engine can and can't do and I want to feel how it handles. Without DTC/DSC and any other minature christmas tree simulators. Because that's what I am looking for when I get into an M. If I can afford it and if it makes me smile driving it, then it's a car I want. In black, white, orange... neon pink with bright green polka dots for all I care. I won't be looking at it, I'll be inside having fun. And if it's not fun... it won't be mine.
      12-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
I honestly don't know why folks are getting all flustered. They said from the beginning, that the 1M would be a modern approach at the M3 e30. Was that "understatement"? No. It screamed "beast" into the face of anyone looking at it. And I personally am not worried about a couple of design dents. I want to know what the bottom line figure on the order form is going to be, what the engine can and can't do and I want to feel how it handles. Without DTC/DSC and any other minature christmas tree simulators. Because that's what I am looking for when I get into an M. If I can afford it and if it makes me smile driving it, then it's a car I want. In black, white, orange... neon pink with bright green polka dots for all I care. I won't be looking at it, I'll be inside having fun. And if it's not fun... it won't be mine.
+1

The reference to the E30 M3 in your post was the essential part!
I don't understand why people are not getting it? They are for sure reading all the stuff about the upcoming 1M day in, day out. The reference to the E30 has been made a hundred times - also from ///M itself....
And honestly: Compared to the E30 M3 (and keep in mind how the base E30 looked back then) the 1M looks conservative
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
+1

I don't understand why people are not getting it? They are for sure reading all the stuff about the upcoming 1M day in, day out. The reference to the E30 has been made a hundred times - also from ///M itself....
And honestly: Compared to the E30 M3 (and keep in mind how the base E30 looked back then) the 1M looks conservative

true enough indeed!

Also note that BMW has begun making a lot of niche vehicles..

335 is for the US market... with single color mirrors

The Z4 M coupe

X5Ms and X6Ms that were not received well in forums as a real M car, but yet they are selling quite well.

The 1M isn't a car made for the masses. it's made for enthusiasts that will appreciate it as it... Whether it has gills or vents or duck bills or what have you.... these are all minor details that manye people seem to consider very important... but when you see the car in person... And more importantly once you drive it... I think most of these objections will melt away... you will simply WANT the car. And if you don't... then buy a 135 and modify it and make it have all the individual items you desire.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
I agree first and foremost about the performance, but saying that it doesn't matter what it looks like is a bit rediculous...I mean I wouldn't want to drive a ferrari if it looked like the batmobile, but that's all just personal preference. This would be akin to saying why offer multiple colors...as nobody should care what the car looks like. As far as speculation, it's not really speculation anymore as we've seen everything but the roof as far as I know. I wasn't trying to start a speculation war, since nobody here has driven the car and probably won't for quite some time, nor will we see more reviews for some time to come. I'm just asking what people think of the styling lines/cues vs. what BMW has put out in the past. I know everyone is excited about the performance of the thing, so am I, and I hope the car is a blast.

Besides this though, I really hope BMW doesn't continue with similar stying on future M models. Performance or not, I don't want my car to look like it has vents all over and huge diffusers if they're not functional. Breaking up the rear and front due to the wide stance is understandable and I know scott had said they put some things in because of this. I have no problem with some necessary visual aspects of the car in order for it to flow well...still, I can't help but not like the way it's looking currently. And yes, I know people will tell me if I don't like the look, don't buy, and I won't buy. Still, nobody here is a little worried the the next gen M3 is going to look a little bit too more like a spaceship and less like a clean cut car (exaggeration...but you get the point)?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
+1

I don't agree...box flares were the big item difference on the E30...then the spoiler and bumpers and whatnot...but nothing out of the ordinary for the company. BMW had put box flares and similar bumpers on other cars at the time. Either way, the flares were ncessary for bigger rubber. I think the comparisons to the E30 are premature. It has been stated that the M1 was trying to produce E30 like driving from the get go (within the confines of today's safety standards of course) but we cannot compare yet as not enough people have driven both and given us realistic comparisons.

Again...only talking about stying here.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

The 1M is starting to look like the 135ers bastard child.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalare View Post
BMW had put box flares and similar bumpers on other cars at the time.
Which road going car did they put "box flares on"? I can't seem to remember ever seeing one.

Quit with the E30 M3 references. Cars that were homologated designs are dead and will never happen again unless the new DTM is getting rid of tube chassis. I doubt that very much.

Anyway, that true racecar ///M feeling was lost with the E36 M3. If you have ever driven an E28 M5, E30 M3 or E24 M6 you will know what we mean. We wont get into the E36 issue (only M car without oil temp gauge).

T
Appreciate 0