BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #23
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Great Choice!! 135I = great daily driver completely stock except for rear-headrest delete mod; although, I think I am going back to my Hawk HT-10s for the street.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I tracked my 135i when I had it and there are a few flaws that really annoyed me.

1. Understeer, lots of it. I eventually got camber plates and had tons of negative camber but in the end, it's still there at the limit. You could run a square tire setup to alleviate it a bit but then you're not using the rear tire width to it's maximum potential.

2. LSD, it desperately needs one. The e-diff is definitely no replacement for a real LSD.

In the end I moved onto a different car that was more suited for track duty. My recommendation is to go with an E36 M3 (if it has to be BMW) if you're serious about tracking. Like others have said, the torque was nice in the 135i but on the track it ran out of breath after 5.5k and it wasn't linear enough to be predictable.
      11-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #25
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

Lemme put it another way. You can spend a bunch of $$$ to make your 135i a decent track toy. OR... You can take that same heap of cash and build yourself a track Miata that will be waaay more fun (and reliable) to drive on the track, and still have your DD 135i on the side.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #26
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbintx View Post
Lemme put it another way. You can spend a bunch of $$$ to make your 135i a decent track toy. OR... You can take that same heap of cash and build yourself a track Miata that will be waaay more fun (and reliable) to drive on the track, and still have your DD 135i on the side.
That, except insert any track car (or Miata if you wish): E30, E36, etc...

It also depends on how much you intend to track and what type of tracking you intend to do. I got caught up in working my way up through the ranks of HPDE with a Cooper S. Modded the crap out of the car, turned it into a track car, then stopped going to the track. For me, I'll never do more than, say, 5 events in a season, so the E82 will serve me fine. And now that I know the road to nowhere of modding a car that's not really a track car, I won't get caught up in it with this car. I will say, though, that the MCS was a friggin' blast on the track when set up properly. It surprised many.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
love67
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

E46 M3 is a better choice, When I had my e46, I only upgraded the final drive and it's already flying on the track. the other good choice would be S2000, this car really great handling and cheap to play with.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #28
ETADRAFT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012-135i-white/coral/M

Given all that is said in this post, what would be considered the "must have" mods for anyone looking to enjoy their 135i for the occasional track day?

background: I'm new to this car but not track days. I've been in advanced groups for a few years now. Previous car was a 08 VW GTI that i heavily moded for the track. It became sort of impractical as a daily driver. I wanted to get into the 135 for rear wheel drive fun and DD practicality. I'm looking to have fun driving the car hard but i'm not going down the street car / race car path again.

So what do you guys recommend? - Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #29
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

For occassional track days -- drive it like it is and accept the shortcomings. I gave up on it, I would rather drive the Audi for occasional track days.

For occassional track days and still retain drivability -- Front Brakes, limited slip, wider front fenders so you can run 255's all around, shocks, and a rear sway bar. Lower and a little stiffer on springs would gain you some negative camber. This should result in less push without a bone jarring ride. Rear brakes get over-used in low speed turns without the limited slip. Your MY12 may have significant improvements over my 08; but, I haven't kept up with what has been changed.

I hate the logistics involved with loading the trailer and towing for occasional track days.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #30
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETADRAFT View Post
Given all that is said in this post, what would be considered the "must have" mods for anyone looking to enjoy their 135i for the occasional track day?

background: I'm new to this car but not track days. I've been in advanced groups for a few years now. Previous car was a 08 VW GTI that i heavily moded for the track. It became sort of impractical as a daily driver. I wanted to get into the 135 for rear wheel drive fun and DD practicality. I'm looking to have fun driving the car hard but i'm not going down the street car / race car path again.

So what do you guys recommend? - Thanks!
since you said you're in advance group, I would say the most important mod is camber plates. without it, the car feels like a pig at the trough and if you're fairly fast, you'll soon run out of brakes. race pads, fluid, ti shims and some cooling will get the job done 98% time.

Last edited by pixelblue; 11-29-2012 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #31
ETADRAFT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
since you said you're in advance group, I would say the most important mod is camber plates. without it, the car feels like a pig at the trough and if you're fairly fast, you'll soon run out of brakes. race pads, fluid, ti shims and some cooling will get the job done 98% time.
Thats good info. what is the proffered camber plate? (i"ll do a search also) I like to think i'm fairly fast, but this will be my first season in this car so i'm sure i wont be too fast to start. FWD to RWD i'm told is a whole new ballgame.

My MOD plan so far for a weekend tracker is;
-shims and pads, bummer about the pistons on these calipers. (i was using Carbotech xp12 in VW, probably will stick with this)
-SS brake lines & Fluid.
-Cooling - could use some suggestions here
-Camber plates
-Rims & Tires - stagger? or square? always a good debate.

I already installed a JB4 with intake and DP, couldnt resist the HP/TQ claim seat of pants dyno approved it.

I'm getting amped for a track day, been off for about a year.
2012 - 135i - White/Coral - BMS stg2, BMS intake, BMS catless DP, BMS meth, CP-e charge pipe, KW clubsports, M3 suspension bits, BRR rollbar, MOMO FIA seats, 18" APEX EC7 wheels 18x10.5 square, UUC short shifter, Stoptech BBK, ER wide front, N5tuner rear, ER dual oil cooler, CSF radiator, PS2, BMP PI, BoostConcepts LPFP upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #32
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETADRAFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
Thats good info. what is the proffered camber plate? (i"ll do a search also) I like to think i'm fairly fast, but this will be my first season in this car so i'm sure i wont be too fast to start. FWD to RWD i'm told is a whole new ballgame.

-shims and pads, bummer about the pistons on these calipers. (i was using Carbotech xp12 in VW, probably will stick with this)
-SS brake lines & Fluid.
-Camber plates

I already installed a JB4 with intake and DP, couldnt resist the HP/TQ claim seat of pants dyno approved it.

Welcome to our fold. There's a lot of good info on this forum as you may already found out. General consensus on best camber plates is vorshlag. For getting some cooling for the rotors, I have cut the splash shield behind the rotor and bend it to scoop air to the rotors. It works pretty well! I've been tracking this car for the last 3 years and I'm still on my original pistons. I don't think I can get another season out of them but you can get upgrade pistons and seals for our calipers.

As far as square v stagger, square will give you more neutral handling and option to rotate and prolong your rubber use. Be careful with your added HP/TQ. It'll bite you in the ass if you're not careful w the throttle. The car can be a beast on track! Have fun wrangling her
      11-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETADRAFT View Post

-SS brake lines & Fluid.
-Camber plates

Hey man, we're both in socal, we should head out to the track together! I'm planning on going in December as well as January. I'll be headed up with some cool cars both times. PM me and we can get eachothers info, it'd be cool to have another 1 out there!
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #34
ETADRAFT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
Hey man, we're both in socal, we should head out to the track together! I'm planning on going in December as well as January. I'll be headed up with some cool cars both times. PM me and we can get eachothers info, it'd be cool to have another 1 out there!
Yea definitely, I just started with this forum so i don't think i have PM capabilities yet. I just moved here from NJ so i'm still getting to know the track day groups around here. Email me ackevant@gmail, looking forward to checking out the CA tracks.

sorry for totally hijacking this thread OP.
2012 - 135i - White/Coral - BMS stg2, BMS intake, BMS catless DP, BMS meth, CP-e charge pipe, KW clubsports, M3 suspension bits, BRR rollbar, MOMO FIA seats, 18" APEX EC7 wheels 18x10.5 square, UUC short shifter, Stoptech BBK, ER wide front, N5tuner rear, ER dual oil cooler, CSF radiator, PS2, BMP PI, BoostConcepts LPFP upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #35
tlee55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

All of these negative comments about the 1'er!! i feel like this is an M3 board! jk. glad to know people are giving honest opinions and being level headed enough to recommend other cars. personally i've been tracking the 135i since i bought it about a year ago(have done several auto x events and 2 days at the roval in fontana). It may NOT be the fastest on the track but with a little upgrading(camber plates, cobb) its competent enough to beat e46's and keep up with the e90 M3's. I love my 135i. I also love the torque, practical pick up for everyday situations...beats high reving M's all day.....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #36
Qbrozen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'm obviously late to the discussion, but wanted to jump in and give some 1 love, too.

I took mine to 3 track days at NJMP this past year (2 lightning and 1 thunderbolt) and had a blast. It really depends on what you are trying to do. For HPDEs, it isn't a race. However, I found there were very few drivers out there with me who could catch or pass me, and this was me on stock suspension with stock RFTs. Of note, E46 M3s, E90 M3s, and even a couple of Z06s had to give me the point by. Is the 1'er faster than a z06? No, of course not. But I was faster than a couple of Z06 drivers. So you really have to take that into account when talking about this stuff, especially when referring to HPDEs.

I was particularly happy to have an e90 m3 driver approach me between sessions to ask about my car. He told me he caught up to me when I was behind a slower car. We both got the pointby on the same straight and, according to his story, he "was aiming to pass you on the next straight until we hit that first turn. All I saw was a puff of smoke and you were GONE!" In the last session of the 2nd day on thunderbolt, a driver with a dedicated E36 track car came out with us and I hung right with him through the whole 20 mins.

I will note, there was quite a difference when I had my JB4 map 5 turned on vs running stock (I did both in the same day due to limp mode issues). With it on, I probably could have passed that e36 track car on the long straight, for example. With it off, I may not have pulled away from the e90 like I did.

With better cooling and better tires, this car would be more than enough for me and how I plan on using it at the track.
      12-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #37
wildcat767676
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

OP: I have been through the usual track day cars and mods and went back to the 135 as a compromise like others have said. I was pretty disappointed after my 911 and of course the mods started coming! After thousands of dollars though, the car is really a beast. Finished the time trials season in second place and never saw an M3 that could pass it. Always have guys coming over to ask what the hell is this thing?

So far though, all it really takes is coil overs w camber plates, R comps(square, rolled fenders w 245's), track pads and fluid, methanol, tune, IC, and intake/exhaust/DP's.

However, limp mode still happens....a lot!

Anyone know if a Boxster is good as a track day car? (Recently picked one up....curious).

Also, is an e36 M3 pretty competitive? Seems like they're always flying on the track and I swear they were almost stock cars!!

2008 135i AT, iDriveNAV, Remus quad exhaust, A.P. DP/MP/IC, Custom Oil Cooler, BMS JB4/Meth/DCI, JIC Cross Coilovers/Camber Plates/STB, BMWP rotors, EBC Track pads, Motul Fluid, CF Hood, BMWP Kidneys, black painted roof/mirrors, BMWP CF rear spoiler, Roof Spoiler. VMR V710 18" Wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #38
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat767676 View Post
OP: I have been through the usual track day cars and mods and went back to the 135 as a compromise like others have said. I was pretty disappointed after my 911 and of course the mods started coming! After thousands of dollars though, the car is really a beast. Finished the time trials season in second place and never saw an M3 that could pass it. Always have guys coming over to ask what the hell is this thing?

So far though, all it really takes is coil overs w camber plates, R comps(square, rolled fenders w 245's), track pads and fluid, methanol, tune, IC, and intake/exhaust/DP's.

However, limp mode still happens....a lot!

Anyone know if a Boxster is good as a track day car? (Recently picked one up....curious).

Also, is an e36 M3 pretty competitive? Seems like they're always flying on the track and I swear they were almost stock cars!!
Oil Cooler cured my limp modes even with 100+ track temps. Factory oil cooler stinks!

Boxster seems like it would be an ideal track car with a fixed roof and roll cage. Lose the interior, add race seats w/6pt harness, brakes, tires, and presto bad ass race car.

I have an e36 and it's quick on the track, but way more work than my 135 and not as fun either. It's a momentum car so you have to be very precise to be consistent, turn in early or late and you lose speed that's hard to make up. Compare that to the 1 where if you get lazy or you get behind traffic the torque gets you out of a lot of spots.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #39
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee55 View Post
All of these negative comments about the 1'er!! i feel like this is an M3 board! jk. glad to know people are giving honest opinions and being level headed enough to recommend other cars. personally i've been tracking the 135i since i bought it about a year ago(have done several auto x events and 2 days at the roval in fontana). It may NOT be the fastest on the track but with a little upgrading(camber plates, cobb) its competent enough to beat e46's and keep up with the e90 M3's. I love my 135i. I also love the torque, practical pick up for everyday situations...beats high reving M's all day.....
Thank you for the 1 love
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #40
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbrozen View Post
I'm obviously late to the discussion, but wanted to jump in and give some 1 love, too.

I took mine to 3 track days at NJMP this past year (2 lightning and 1 thunderbolt) and had a blast. It really depends on what you are trying to do. For HPDEs, it isn't a race. However, I found there were very few drivers out there with me who could catch or pass me, and this was me on stock suspension with stock RFTs. Of note, E46 M3s, E90 M3s, and even a couple of Z06s had to give me the point by. Is the 1'er faster than a z06? No, of course not. But I was faster than a couple of Z06 drivers. So you really have to take that into account when talking about this stuff, especially when referring to HPDEs.

I was particularly happy to have an e90 m3 driver approach me between sessions to ask about my car. He told me he caught up to me when I was behind a slower car. We both got the pointby on the same straight and, according to his story, he "was aiming to pass you on the next straight until we hit that first turn. All I saw was a puff of smoke and you were GONE!" In the last session of the 2nd day on thunderbolt, a driver with a dedicated E36 track car came out with us and I hung right with him through the whole 20 mins.

I will note, there was quite a difference when I had my JB4 map 5 turned on vs running stock (I did both in the same day due to limp mode issues). With it on, I probably could have passed that e36 track car on the long straight, for example. With it off, I may not have pulled away from the e90 like I did.

With better cooling and better tires, this car would be more than enough for me and how I plan on using it at the track.

Thank you two for the 1 love
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #41
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I like my 1 as a double duty car, probably in the next year will convert to track only. Yes, it requires some investment + time + commitment to make it a competitive/balanced car. But that's part of the fun too, right? Go out there, learn the weak spots, fix, repeat. At the same time, you grow as a driver with the car.

I find it fun to fix/correct whatever the weakest links are. My next mod is the LSD on the way, while doing that. I'll be replacing control arms/bushings/rear sway, and some other things. It got to a point (though really from the beginning) where the LSD or lack there of is really started to hinder progression and speed.

Again, it was and still is fun to build the car up and make it better/safer/faster... my 2c
      12-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #42
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
I like my 1 as a double duty car, probably in the next year will convert to track only. Yes, it requires some investment + time + commitment to make it a competitive/balanced car. But that's part of the fun too, right? Go out there, learn the weak spots, fix, repeat. At the same time, you grow as a driver with the car.

I find it fun to fix/correct whatever the weakest links are. My next mod is the LSD on the way, while doing that. I'll be replacing control arms/bushings/rear sway, and some other things. It got to a point (though really from the beginning) where the LSD or lack there of is really started to hinder progression and speed.

Again, it was and still is fun to build the car up and make it better/safer/faster... my 2c

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #43
omar14711
Rep
Drives: 2008 white 135i

Ive owned my 135 for two years in witch time I've installed LSD, rb turbos, coil overs, sub frame bushings, sway bars, camber plates. im not sure as to total $ spent but it's up there. I hope brakes will be my last mod. However Ive enjoyed every single minute. Miata, please, there are few cars that can keep up with a properly tuned 135 the power is simply intoxicating. Go with the 135 you won't regret it, other wise I'll be seeing you in my rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #44
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
here's a fun video I found from a race prepped 135 at my local track that competes at nasa GT3 class. don't have much info about the car. I have sent a message to get some info about their setup but haven't heard back yet. for reference he's 4 + sec faster than my best time (ouchie) but I guess that's to be expected from a fully stripped race prepped car driven by a pro. I am shooting to cut that margin in half by next year