BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2015, 03:20 AM   #1
kylejenson
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed 3

Newbie looking for more info..

I'm trying to soak up as much information before purchasing a 135. Not looking to be spoon fed, but maybe pointed in the right direction. I've been reading non stop for hours the last few days!

I see so many posts about light modding and FBO, but not so much on turbo upgrades and 500+ hp. Sounds like most people favor RB? And that you'll need meth or e85 to boost octane/add to fueling around the 450 mark.

Pretty obvious to me LSD and wider wheels are a requirement for this much power. I've also seen water pump, hpfp, coil packs, and maybe injectors go out and to keep an eye on them.

Is the N54 really the choice over n55, even with people doing single turbo conversions and trying for more power?

And lastly, what I really am struggling on learning is all the tuning info. I'm coming from a Mazdaspeed 3 which the Cobb AP is chosen 99% of the time and OTS maps are for light bolt ons and custom etunes are done for serious power. We also have one tune, that's it. Back end flashes, piggyback, and how the JB4 works sounds so foreign to me!

I'm sure all of this has been covered, I just can't seem to find the right threads!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

There is good info on tires in the wheel/tire section. Only a few wheel/tire packages will actually maximize your tire footprint, most others will have inappropriate offsets and limit tire width, particularly in the rear, so you just need to read through and see if what you read is about "stance" or actually maximizing tire. Most posts concentrate on stance here, and low offsets that limit tire width. Free hint: you probably want +42 to +45 front (preferably exactly +45) at 8.5" width, and +58 to +62 rear offsets at 9.5" width. See my signature.

Adding front camber with plates and M3 front lower control arms are typically recommended as well due to the low factory camber and soft bushings. Rear subframe bushings or inserts are also very popular, and the insert are super easy. Go to the DIY section for inserts DIY.

There is tons of info on LSDs. Same for intercoolers. Really, please just do some searching. There's no reason to rehash this. There are a lot of opinions on what is best in this area, but I wouldn't sweat it too much as there are many good options. It's hard to go too wrong here.

There are few options on turbos. Vargas or RB, and everyone has opinions on them, and both have a few upset customers if you search around here and on other forums (which you should do if you want to do this).

I'm very much a reflash guy and have the Cobb AP (coming from the Subaru world, though I almost entirely used OpenECU), but the JB piggyback seems to be very well respected and has a long history. It does seem people start wanting extra "backend" flashes under the JB with more significant mods like turbos, but the Cobb AP won't run meth/water injection. I have neither new turbos nor a JB so I can't really offer much more opinion than that.
      01-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Hey Freon,

Can you send me picture of your car and give me some more info on your wheel tire suspension setup?

255/275 sounds like where I want to get for the right steering response and grip.

I'm also guessing Apex Arc-8s?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejenson View Post
I'm trying to soak up as much information before purchasing a 135. Not looking to be spoon fed, but maybe pointed in the right direction. I've been reading non stop for hours the last few days!

I see so many posts about light modding and FBO, but not so much on turbo upgrades and 500+ hp. Sounds like most people favor RB? And that you'll need meth or e85 to boost octane/add to fueling around the 450 mark.

Pretty obvious to me LSD and wider wheels are a requirement for this much power. I've also seen water pump, hpfp, coil packs, and maybe injectors go out and to keep an eye on them.

Is the N54 really the choice over n55, even with people doing single turbo conversions and trying for more power?

And lastly, what I really am struggling on learning is all the tuning info. I'm coming from a Mazdaspeed 3 which the Cobb AP is chosen 99% of the time and OTS maps are for light bolt ons and custom etunes are done for serious power. We also have one tune, that's it. Back end flashes, piggyback, and how the JB4 works sounds so foreign to me!

I'm sure all of this has been covered, I just can't seem to find the right threads!
i'm not sure i'm understanding what your trying to learn here. What are your goals? are you trying to buy a 135i and then have world record power? or are you looking to keep stock trubos and max those out? or are you looking for a track car for autox? Maybe you dont even want to max out the power but just want something fun to drive around. all of the different scenarios have different things that can be done. lets start with where you want to end up at and then we can help from there. Some things cost more than others with similar gains and somethings cost more than others with less gains and less functionality.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

OP, on the N54 or N55 decision, consider in whether ECU tuning is important or if you want to go piggyback. The N54 ECU allowed for many more flash tuning options than newer N55.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
kylejenson
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
i'm not sure i'm understanding what your trying to learn here. What are your goals? are you trying to buy a 135i and then have world record power? or are you looking to keep stock trubos and max those out? or are you looking for a track car for autox? Maybe you dont even want to max out the power but just want something fun to drive around. all of the different scenarios have different things that can be done. lets start with where you want to end up at and then we can help from there. Some things cost more than others with similar gains and somethings cost more than others with less gains and less functionality.
Sorry I guess I wasn't very specific. I'm not going for world record power by any means, but if people have proven 500hp and companies like RB claim their turbos will get you there, that's definitely a goal of mine. I've done some autox, and would like to visit a drag strip too. Money obviously isn't unlimited, but wrenching and playing with cars is a hobby of mine. So over time I'll upgrade handling, power, and appearance.

But I'm mostly looking for assurance that I've learned about the right topics so far and need more info on the topics like how the flashing works (what does back end flashing control vs. front end(?) and what is piggyback) and also why N54 over N55 for more power, especially since people convert the N54 to single turbo which the N55 already is single twin scroll? All I see about the subject is complexity and cost of manufacturing/repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Ok, you already know the Cobb side of things. That's flashing the ecu for everything. The backend flash is a free addition to run with the jb4 piggyback tuner. It requires a $180 Bavarian technic cable but the flashes are supplied for free by BMS who makes the JB4. Or you can learn how to do it and make your own flash. Some have offered to do so. These backend flashes work with the JB4 (piggyback) as far as I know the flashes take over more of the fueling side of things. The jb4 has really good boost control and map switching on the steering wheel and auto tuning, gauge highjacking and all sorts of goodies. The jb4 is plugged into the ecu and highjacks signals to it and changes them to get the performance you want. It's also fairly economical. You can get a used one for fairly cheap in comparison for what you get out of it.

The n54 engine is slightly more powerful no matter what people on here say. Hahaha. I say this because I like to poke the bear. Its funny to see people's reaction. The twin turbos holds the boost and power longer(rpm range) than the single twin scroll. There have been really good advances on the N55 over the past 2 years. It's still slightly less. Just comes down to that. To get the same performance you need to modify the single turbo. But you'll read into that if you search for pure turbo.

You've already said RB so I'm assuming you've seen the prices on those and Vargus. Honestly I would avoid Vargus. The more you stay on this forum the more crap you'll see coming from them and I just wouldn't want them having my money. I've never done any business with them but all I've seen on here And other forums makes me never want them to have my business. But you can make your own decisions when it comes time for that.

The single turbo conversion on the N54 is different than the N55. The N55 has the turbo underneath so there are space limits for the turbo. The top mount singles which is what your referring to is on top of The engine so people are fitting a huge turbo in there. Which makes huge power. Keeping the turbos stock and going full bolt on the N54 will out perform the N55. That being said the later N55 models I don't think have a flash for them yet. The ecu hasn't been cracked yet. Eventually I think the engines Will be reversed but for right now the stock turbos on the N54 will out perform the stock N55 turbo.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
kylejenson
Rep

Quote:
Ok, you already know the Cobb side of things. That's flashing the ecu for everything. The backend flash is a free addition to run with the jb4 piggyback tuner. It requires a $180 Bavarian technic cable but the flashes are supplied for free by BMS who makes the JB4. Or you can learn how to do it and make your own flash. Some have offered to do so. These backend flashes work with the JB4 (piggyback) as far as I know the flashes take over more of the fueling side of things. The jb4 has really good boost control and map switching on the steering wheel and auto tuning, gauge highjacking and all sorts of goodies. The jb4 is plugged into the ecu and highjacks signals to it and changes them to get the performance you want. It's also fairly economical. You can get a used one for fairly cheap in comparison for what you get out of it.

The n54 engine is slightly more powerful no matter what people on here say. Hahaha. I say this because I like to poke the bear. Its funny to see people's reaction. The twin turbos holds the boost and power longer(rpm range) than the single twin scroll. There have been really good advances on the N55 over the past 2 years. It's still slightly less. Just comes down to that. To get the same performance you need to modify the single turbo. But you'll read into that if you search for pure turbo.

You've already said RB so I'm assuming you've seen the prices on those and Vargus. Honestly I would avoid Vargus. The more you stay on this forum the more crap you'll see coming from them and I just wouldn't want them having my money. I've never done any business with them but all I've seen on here And other forums makes me never want them to have my business. But you can make your own decisions when it comes time for that.

The single turbo conversion on the N54 is different than the N55. The N55 has the turbo underneath so there are space limits for the turbo. The top mount singles which is what your referring to is on top of The engine so people are fitting a huge turbo in there. Which makes huge power. Keeping the turbos stock and going full bolt on the N54 will out perform the N55. That being said the later N55 models I don't think have a flash for them yet. The ecu hasn't been cracked yet. Eventually I think the engines Will be reversed but for right now the stock turbos on the N54 will out perform the stock N55 turbo.
Awesome, it's all coming together now. I like the sound of the JB4. But what determines the map you choose? Is it similar to Cobb OTS maps where you pick what mods you have?

And FBO is basically just exhaust, downpipes, intercooler, and maybe cone filters, right? Oil coolers were dependent on model?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #9
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejenson View Post
Awesome, it's all coming together now. I like the sound of the JB4. But what determines the map you choose? Is it similar to Cobb OTS maps where you pick what mods you have?

And FBO is basically just exhaust, downpipes, intercooler, and maybe cone filters, right? Oil coolers were dependent on model?
Very similar. Each map has prerequisite for use. The auto tune map tunes for what mods and fuel you have. If jb4 is The way you decide to go just read up on it and it will all be explained. Can also read up on the 2 step rev limiter and no lift shift. The BMS meth kit integrates with the jb4 really well too for control and safety features. You can adjust boost with spray on the steering wheel. There's also firmware updates all the time which makes it better.
FBO means different things to people. For the most part it's an intake, downpipes, intercooler, preferably charge pipe, and exhaust. Pretty much everything you can just bolt on without getting to involved. Oil coolers usually aren't needed. Not sure about the 128i. Unless your in the hot climates and doing heavy tracking. For me the stock one has worked ok.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
miggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 135

It sounds like you already know what direction you want to go with the car. Which is more than I can say for when I bought my car I think now is when I think I finally know where I want to take it. I was suggested to first build my suspension by me peers but built my performance first since I bought a JB before even finding a car. If you're looking to get the car to easy reliable 500 I would suggest you first swap out RFT if you have any I liked PSS when I ran them very good all around summer tire. Then full M3 suspension build and a LSD to make sure you can put down the power. I'd also suggest going FBO ( tune, intake, intercooler, charge pipe, down pipes, exhaust ) then a turbo of your choice. Theres plenty of info out there just have search it.
      01-09-2015, 11:31 PM   #11
kylejenson
Rep

Alright I think I have a good amount of knowledge for now. I can start reading and trying to find the right car (so many autos, not enough manuals!)

Thanks for the help guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 01:52 AM   #12
kylejenson
Rep

Quote:
The BMS meth kit integrates with the jb4 really well too for control and safety features. You can adjust boost with spray on the steering wheel. There's also firmware updates all the time which makes it better.
Thought of another question. Is the BMS kit the only one that can integrate with JB4? It sounds like it could react really well to a meth injection failure which is awesome because I've seen people blow motors when pushing them hard and their meth failing. Just curious because I already have a meth setup for my current car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 05:37 AM   #13
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
I haven't done any research on the other kits. I didn't want to mess around so I went with BMS. As far as I know the other kits have there own way of controlling it.I was sold on the fact of controlling and monitoring through the jb4. And changing meth flow on the fly. That would be a question better answered by someone in the meth thread of n54tech. I only know about the BMS kit.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 05:54 AM   #14
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
You can post in the meth thread what kit you have and if there's any way of integrating it to the jb4. They'll be able to tell you yes or no or if there's something you can buy to make it work.

Appreciate 0