BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

Help reading logs, tuning & what to look for

First off, Id like to thank Terry for all his support. I'm at a point that I want to understand what my car is doing without having to go back-and-forth every 5-minutes. Note: The logs I attached were done on a real crappy road. Also, my mods and fuel/meth settings are in my signature. Finally, I used the attached "MAP_3_run1.csv" to generate the graphs.

Questions:
AFR: I need help understanding this and how it relates to my car. From my understanding, running below 14.7 is rich. Anything above that number is lean. Is this accurate? I've also heard adding meth/E85 into the equation lowers the stoich value. I'd like a breakdown of where these numbers have to be when running 93 (MAP-2), 93 + meth (MAP-3), E85/93 + meth (MAP-3). What numbers should I be looking for (good vs. bad)? With the JB4, how do I make adjustments?

IGN, IGN ADV, AVG IGN & IAT: No idea what these are. Can someone explain?

Peddle & Throttle: What is the difference?

PWM: Can someone explain? How does this relate to the 18ohm, 15ohm and G5 board? Terry mentioned something about it being stuck on 100.

Trims: Can someone explain?

Please try to use layman's terms so I can grasp the concepts. If there are some threads out there that will help, please point me in the right direction.
Attached Files
File Type: zip logs.zip (70.1 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by TUN3D; 08-04-2014 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

bump
      09-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by majestykmellons View Post
First off, Id like to thank Terry for all his support. I'm at a point that I want to understand what my car is doing without having to go back-and-forth every 5-minutes. Note: The logs I attached were done on a real crappy road. Also, my mods and fuel/meth settings are in my signature. Finally, I used the attached "MAP_3_run1.csv" to generate the graphs.

Questions:
AFR: I need help understanding this and how it relates to my car. From my understanding, running below 14.7 is rich. Anything above that number is lean. Is this accurate?
IMO....not exactly. Normal street driving the car runs around 13.8-almost 14.5 to 15. Once you are on 100% pedal and on boost you should see your AFR's dip into the 11's to 12's. In that area you are running optimum especially if you are running full boost depending on what map you are in

I've also heard adding meth/E85 into the equation lowers the stoich value. I'd like a breakdown of where these numbers have to be when running 93 (MAP-2), 93 + meth (MAP-3), E85/93 + meth (MAP-3). What numbers should I be looking for (good vs. bad)? With the JB4, how do I make adjustments? On the E85/meth mix i don't really know but running meth to lower IAT's (Intake Air Temperature) is always better since you are pushing colder air into the chambers. Colder air= more power. Any IAT's in triple digits can mean heatsoak and you will suffer some power loss because of it.

IGN, IGN ADV, AVG IGN & IAT: No idea what these are. Can someone explain?

IGN: Ignition.........IGN ADV: Ignition Advance, This page will do a better job at explaining it better than me
http://www.gill.co.uk/products/digit...gn_advance.asp

Peddle & Throttle: What is the difference? Pedal & throttle show location or percentage being applied. Like when you mash your pedal you're at 100% pedal but if you look at your logs, it takes less than a second for your throttle to react due to our throttles being electronic. To me, they're more or less the same but of course it's dependant of pedal location.

PWM: Can someone explain? How does this relate to the 18ohm, 15ohm and G5 board? Terry mentioned something about it being stuck on 100.

Trims: Can someone explain?

Please try to use layman's terms so I can grasp the concepts. If there are some threads out there that will help, please point me in the right direction.
On the others I honestly don't know. Good luck.

Nick
      09-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

I've been wondering this myself. Seems to be bits of info spread around but no JB4 "glossary" to go by. That's what we need. I posted this same question on N54Tech so if someone comes up with anything I'll post it here.

I also noticed the Throttle / pedal level separation in my JB4 logs. During 100% pedal the throttle backed off almost to 65 when I lost traction. DTC was off too. Weird.
Appreciate 0