BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

Question Evolution Racewerks or ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines?

Like the title says, which SS lines are better Evolution Racewerks or ECS Tuning Looking to get a full kit (6 lines), they're both around the same price so just looking for some pros/cons, reviews from all you guys running either kit. Thanks!

Last edited by BSM 135i; 09-09-2012 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I run the ER lines. not sure what kind of review I can give other than it works and it looks good with many color choices. my front lines are showing heat damage so getting ready to replace them. guess I'll go with ER again. price is competitive and love the color options. hope that helps
      09-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue
I run the ER lines. not sure what kind of review I can give other than it works and it looks good with many color choices. my front lines are showing heat damage so getting ready to replace them. guess I'll go with ER again. price is competitive and love the color options. hope that helps
how long have you had them installed? also looks like you track your car, I don't plan on tracking mine but since I'll be under there changing out my rotors, pads, and the lines arent that expensive I thought why not swap out the lines with SS ones.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 135i View Post
how long have you had them installed? also looks like you track your car, I don't plan on tracking mine but since I'll be under there changing out my rotors, pads, and the lines arent that expensive I thought why not swap out the lines with SS ones.
they've been on at least two years. one of the first things I did. they look nice installed in bright colors. funny I got clear but this time planning on getting the blue. they should last you a long time. mine was literally exposed to fire from the brakes. so I am not complaining at all. I just think it's good practice to change them every few years. reduces the chance of bad things happening when braking from 145 mph
      09-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I can't comment on either of these brands but want to point something out i noticed when installing my Stoptech lines... The OEM brake lines have a spline on the end that connects to the car's hard line (i.e. not the end that connects to the caliper). The spline slides into a bracket so you can loosen the lines with one wrench. However, once loosened, you cannot just spin the line to back it all the way off. You have to continually back the nut off with a wrench. This is not a big deal with the fronts, but becomes a total PITA when removing the mid-rears. Because of the limited amount of space, i could only turn the nut on the mid-rear lines about an 1/8th of a turn at a time. The Stoptech lines do not have this spline, therefore I was able hold the nut and spin the line to tighten it 99% of the way. Once hand tightened, I just used two wrenched and tightened it half a turn. At first I was concerned that it might loosen with time, but after a year I've had zero issues. Just something to consider when making your selection.

BTW, I've swapped out a number of major parts on the car and while very straight forward, changing out the mid-rear brake line was one of the most difficult DIYs to date. There is almost no space for your hands or even a wrench. If you plan on replacing the rear bushings, which requires dropping the rear subframe, this would be the best time to swap your mid-rear lines.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
BTW, I've swapped out a number of major parts on the car and while very straight forward, changing out the mid-rear brake line was one of the most difficult DIYs to date. There is almost no space for your hands or even a wrench. If you plan on replacing the rear bushings, which requires dropping the rear subframe, this would be the best time to swap your mid-rear lines.

Good luck!
yeah I took one look at where they were and said f*it. cost me $150 to put in. I'll skip replacing them this time
      09-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
JSILVER135I
Private
Rep
Drives: SILVER 135I, MSPORT PKG

What is the benefits of stainless lines? Stiffer brake pedal?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Yes, supposedly. The effect may depend on how bad the stock lines really are on a given car.

It seems to make sense from a rational perspective, but I've also not seen much independent testing on the subject.