BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #309
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
BTW, forgot to mention I weighed all the pieces:

Stock:
Midpipe
Axel-back
Total Lbs

MadDad:
Midpipe
Axel-back
Total Lbs

Total Weight Savings:
18 Lbs
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #310
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

That's a decent weight saving
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #311
sbefar01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1er

Just installed mine yesterday! Fitment was good, I actually had to get some gasket sealer to fit the mid-pipe on to the cat back. That was a curve-ball but the volume is perfect and the note is clean. There is virtually no drone, at 2200rpm its certainly louder where you can hear it in the cabin a touch, but does not interfere with radio or talking to passenger. The sound will probably get more settled in after a few days . . . while im enjoying the early and sustained power increase.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #312
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
yep, the sound does settle a bit in the 2200-3000k rpm range, definitely NO drone. Does not inhibit stereo or passanger/phone usage. I love it so much....
      03-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #313
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is something I posted under the tuning section, video and dyno charts of the MadDad install.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally was able to put together the video of the install and dyno (performed a week ago) of my MadDad downpipe-back exhaust (center pipe + axelback), coupled with a JB3 PnP (ran on Map 5 and Map 0 on 93 Octane Shell V-Power gas). Need to edit it some more (and perhaps add more Deadmau5 tunes ), but figured I share even in its current form.

Here is what you need to know. I dynoed the car (same DynoJet dyno, same operator, same gas station, same strapping method, same fans, same tires, etc.) fully stock last July. Numbers were 278wtq/283wtq. Not bad, and about what people have been getting of what seems to be a well under-rated 300hp-crank BMW-claimed engine.

The first set of dyno pulls were on the stock exhaust and JB3 Map 5, all else equal (running stock intercooler, airbox, filter, DPs, etc.) Did 3 pulls, all pretty consistent, best numbers were 356whp/372wtq. So net, gains solely attributable to JB3 Map 5 a whopping 77whp/89wtq!

Next, I proceeded to install the MadDad midpipe + axelback. We ran quite a few runs immediately following the install (literally moved from the install bay to the adjacent dyno room so the car went through no real-world adaption). What the next dozen+ pulls indicated is that the ECU was continually learning and adapting. In between every 3-4 pulls we of course allowed for proper cooling. The best (but consistent across many runs) numbers attributable to JB3 Map 5 + MadDad Center Pipe + Axelback were 361+whp/381+wtq. In other words, incrementally MadDad added 5+whp/9+wtq on top of the JB3 gains. Notice this is just peak power! I suspect now that I have ran the car for a bit, the ECU is fully adapted and the exhaust has opened up (the sound is def more pronounced), gains are even better. Also note that gains are pretty uniform across the full RPM band, but it is down low that they are really massive, and in many cases double digit (so comparing peak vs. peak is not telling the full story).

Lastly, we switched the JB3 to Map 0 (basically stock), and did a few pulls which measured gains solely attributable to MadDad DP-back exhaust. The final figures were 281+whp/293+wtq, indicating a gain of 3+whp/10+wtq. Again, these are just peak-to-peak numbers, which are not the most relevant. Observe how much fatter the tq curve is all along the way, but once afain most pronounced down low.

I have superimposed all 4 runs to get a visual. The titles are self explanatory. In summary, money well spent, just with a piggy back and DP-back exhaust, car has gained over 80whp and 100wtq, or around 361+whp/381+whp total! Not bad at all. I figure an intercooler, a drop-in filter, and/or DPs definitely ought to get me in the 400whp club. Next however is the M3 subframe bushings, def need to firm up the ride even more given the added power (the BMW PS has done wonders, but can get further help with a stiffer rear)

In closing, I want to share/reiterate how great of a product the MadDad exhaust is. Craftsmanship is excellent, fit and finish superb, sound characteristics – unique.

YouTube Video here:

Dynocharts:

1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #314
Migsboyfresh
Donde esta la biblioteca?
United_States
Rep
Drives: like fernando alonso

pm shipped to 07644, full exhaust catless all the way
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #315
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I got the mid-pipes today and found only 1 screw inside. The package box had a crack in the middle, but the mid-pipes seems not damage at all. I've just want to make sure that this only came with 1 screw and no missing hardwares. Please let me know. Thanks.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #316
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
I got the mid-pipes today and found only 1 screw inside. The package box had a crack in the middle, but the mid-pipes seems not damage at all. I've just want to make sure that this only came with 1 screw and no missing hardwares. Please let me know. Thanks.
Yup, 1 is all you need.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #317
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Just got back in town tonight. Yes one bolt...that bolt is for the support brace. Because the pipe diameter is a bit larger than factory you need a longer bolt for the support brace. You should use factory hardware elsewhere.

R.
      03-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #318
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Bump...

O/T - anybody thinking of running the maddad midpipes with another brand exhaust? I'm pretty keen but would like to hear how it sounds first.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #319
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey ///M1 ... that was a great video. I really appreciate the dyno shots and the commentary.

I am settled on getting a Maddad axle-back, and now I'm wondering if I should just spring for the midpipes as well. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the chance of drone. Any word on that? Does the full setup sound obnoxious or drone-y? The axle-back alone sounds great.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #320
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Not obnoxious or drone-y with the full downpipe back setup, I am loving it more every day!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #321
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
Hey ///M1 ... that was a great video. I really appreciate the dyno shots and the commentary.

I am settled on getting a Maddad axle-back, and now I'm wondering if I should just spring for the midpipes as well. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the chance of drone. Any word on that? Does the full setup sound obnoxious or drone-y? The axle-back alone sounds great.
Glad you enjoyed it, Jeremy!

As far as drone, last weekend I was driving the car under various scenarios specifically looking for drone. It came under once case, around 2,100 RPM when you are in 6th gear and accelerate hard (almost pedal to the medal). You can call it small drone/deep reverberation, whichever suits, but the truth is you would rarely drive this way. If you needed to accelerate (say to pass) and are around 2000 RPM on 6th gear (manual), you would generally downshift anyhow and bring up the revs right away. So I think it is fair to say MadDad did everything possible to eliminate (as much as one can) the drone. I have yet to find an aftermarket exhaust on ANY car that is a cat-back (or in this case downpipe-back) and de-resonated and doesn’t show some small hints of drone. Certainly true for the Milltek on my Audi and the Supersprint on my E39 M5 (both are cat-back de-resonated, so they each show a faint sign of drone at very low RPMs). IMO, just comes with the territory, kinda like an aftermarket suspension – you trade off comfort for better handling. In the exhaust department the tradeoff hold true as well: you do trade off something for added volume and deeper base. I recon you will like it a lot!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #322
twenzel
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 Audi S3

Maddad, Can you PM me a price shipped to 78746. Black coated tips and full DP back please!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #323
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi guys,

Finally caught up with the PMs. I was out of town all last week.

Also for general reference. When you go to our website, you can drop an axleback of full downpipe back setup in the basket, goto the first stage of checkout and type in our zip to get a to the penny quote to your door without having to type in any CC info. There prices on the site are no different than what you would be quoted via PM so we're not hiding anything. We sell the exhausts for the lowest we can. They are made in the 100% in the U.S and they are all T304SS..so there are no lower cost T439 or T409 options.

I'm back in the office the rest of the week. So PM if there are any other questions.

As far as on hand stock. We're down to 1 polished SS tipped Whisper axleback and we have 2 more midpipes left in stock. It's going to be 3-4 weeks before we have black ceramic tips back in stock.

Rich
      03-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #324
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Have my Maddad mid-pipes installed yesterday and very impressed. Please see a brief review from here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363206
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #325
sbefar01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1er

switching to MAP 5 with this setup really opens her up, wow.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #326
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

One Last full system in stock before the price increase

Hey folks, just thought I drop a note here. We have one last Whisper exhaust in stock with the polished SS tips at $649.95. This is the very last unit you will see at 649.95. When this one is gone we will be out of stock for a couple of weeks while gearing for the next run. This system at $649.95 has been then lowest cost U.S. built T304 exhaust available since it was introduced. And it still will be at $699. I don't include the muffler-less exhausts in this comparison for obvious reasons..there is no muffler. Our Street Series system that is muffler-less(and due end of next month) will compete more directly with those systems both in price and volume...but the Whisper is what we are talking about here. It was last April when we finally released this exhaust so it's been on the market now for a full year with dozens of 1Addicts forum members owning the system. For those that are doing their exhaust research let me give you a number of highlights that I don't think any other brand can match:

* Not one customer in our first year of production had any issue with their tips not being aligned correctly
* Not one customer had to bend an exhaust hanger to make their exhaust fit
* Not one customer complained about droning
* Not one customer has sold their system to buy something different after a number of months of use
* Some customers did get rid of other systems to replace with a Whisper
* Even with a performance midpipe the Whisper offers the least amount of in cabin drone of any other exhaust on the market.

None of those points are a surprises to me. I personally test every product on my own 135i and no product is released unless it meets my requirements, even if it means going back to the lab again and again and again(we made 3 different Whispers before I was happy and finally released it). That's all good news to you people.

So those of you on the fence you might want to take advantage of the last $649.95, when it's gone you'll be looking at $699.95 for the polished SS tips and $749.95 for the black tips and finally after a year being MIA $799.95 for the Carbon Fiber tipped units.

On a similiar note. We have 3 of our new MadDad Resonated Mipdipes left in stock at their introductor $599.95 price. Check out the reviews people. Everyone is happy with this pipe and it is extremely unique in it's layout. One of the few systems to use a true collector to due the 2-to-1 exhaust flow merge, and our staggered resonators that go in place of the factory cats needs no explanation. If you can't figure out why we put them their just look again . 3 more left at $599.95. They work with any bolt-on axleback section..aFe,AA, Agency Power, CP-E and all of the imports.

A rehash of some media so you don't have to due any searching.

Extended Audio/Video of the complete Whisper EuroSport Downpipe-Back System(midpipe + axleaback)

Direct Link to our BMW Products on our secure website:
Order Performance Axleback or complete Downpipe-back

Comparing smoothed out flow of a Whisper vs. the factory exhaust

Carbon Fiber tips...finally being released this April($+99)

The MadDad Resonated Midpipe.
      03-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #327
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Bump...

O/T - anybody thinking of running the maddad midpipes with another brand exhaust? I'm pretty keen but would like to hear how it sounds first.
Im considering the maddad midpipes with a magnaflow axleback. I just saw in a thread the other day where a distributor is selling the magnaflow setup for $465 after adding a coupon code that works! I wont mention the site on here cuz thatd be lame but I just wanted to introduce that as competition for you Mad since you are saying you hold the least expensive axleback system with a muffler at $700. I love the look of both the maddad and magnaflow tbh but really that price is killer at this site.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #328
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Im considering the maddad midpipes with a magnaflow axleback. I just saw in a thread the other day where a distributor is selling the magnaflow setup for $465 after adding a coupon code that works! I wont mention the site on here cuz thatd be lame but I just wanted to introduce that as competition for you Mad since you are saying you hold the least expensive axleback system with a muffler at $700. I love the look of both the maddad and magnaflow tbh but really that price is killer at this site.
You cant seriously compare the quality of the maddad construction to the magnaflow. I followed that same post and checked it out...apples and oranges. You pay for what you get...sketchy website too.
      03-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #329
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
The magnaflow mufflers use T409SS not 304SS. There is a pretty big price difference between the two. You might be OK with T409 in fair weather areas but not so good in PA. The muffler will be mostly rusted after one good winter. Our mufflers are all thick gauge T304. Still the price is appropriate for a 409SS system and a good deal for some folks that live in areas that don't bring out the rust so quickly.

R.

Last edited by maddad; 03-25-2010 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #330
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Forgot to mention in this thread but I got my Maddad midpipes installed this weekend to go with my RR downpipes and Maddad axelback....fitment was nearly perfect (I didn't have to modify anything...) although I had a tough time getting the stupid spring bolts to catch the threads, probably had more to do with my lack of having a lift to get the proper pressure in the proper direction than anything to do with fitment.

Rich, I did notice that one of my "fake-cats" seems to have a small hole in it....I would not have noticed it except when I was underneath the car and told my brother to tap the gas so I could feel for leaks at the flanges....I got squirted in the face from a small hole maybe the width of a circular coffee stirring straw...How much would that effect the sound? Am I losing any power? Can I wrap the resonators to prevent further squirting incidents? (LOL)
Appreciate 0