BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #111
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I just had another look at Advan's radiator and the end tanks appear to have a smaller diameter.. not sure if this can be a good thing. Glad to see it's not made of plastic though!
Hey mate,

to be honest I am not sure I agree with your observations.

Quote:
Justin - can you give any details on why the end tanks of the new radiator are slightly smaller in diameter and if this was intentional part of the design?
I have spoken to Pete regarding the above and from what he recalls the aluminium end tanks were not discernibly smaller.

I have however been breaking his balls to complete a water volume comparison, of the OE radiator and the PWR rad'.

Whilst the increased water capacity of the PWR unit, may not be super significant compared to the OE rad', it is important to note that the PWR unit has a true motorsport core.

The PWR core is not substantially thicker, however the heat exchange properties of the improved tube & fin design will most definitely improve its efficiency.

By how much exactly, well that is difficult to say without conducting some very exacting tests.

But I can certainly say, that after installing the PWR rad' water temps drop very quickly, once the car is at speed and there is good airflow through the core.

Lastly coming into Summer when cooling system pressures will undoubtedly rise,

I feel a lot more confident in an ALL aluminium radiator, than that of the BMW OE unit, that is made largely of plastic.

Last edited by JD75; 12-04-2011 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #112
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
JD75, thanks so much taking the time to respond mate. Much appreciated.

Firstly, the numbers your car puts down is just insane and hats off to you and Advan gents for some amazing work and development.

Definitely agree with your summary and I do believe any 'tune' or power upgrades should always be met with corresponding upgrades to cooling, breaks and suspension. Ultimately I think it's down to what people want from their cars.

Thanks again.
Hey mate,

that's cool, not a problem at all and thank you for the kudos.

I do agree that ultimately it is up to the individual to decide how far they wish to push their pride and joy and what supporting mods they deem necessary.

Of course I am one for erring on the side of caution.

I suspect a "proper" rebuild following a N54 engine failure, will cost a few bucks and them some.

I for one do not want to be footing that bill at this stage, simply for the sake of overlooking an inadequate cooling system.

Last edited by JD75; 12-05-2011 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #113
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Hey gents,

unfortunately I have yet to acquire more data on the PWR radiator.

Peter and the boys were just too darn busy last week, to perform a coolant volume comparison of the OE radiator and the upgraded PWR rad'.

We have contacted PWR and we are waiting on a reply regarding coolant capacity and core efficiency, of their "Street/Track" core.

I do however have one or two pics of the various components that will comprise the oil cooler kit, which is Part 1 of the "Advan Performance Complete Cooling Solution".
Attached Images

Last edited by JD75; 12-12-2011 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #114
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Christmas is just around the corner mate, I want this under my tree!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #115
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
Christmas is just around the corner mate, I want this under my tree!
Haha,

I will speak to Santa Clause, aka Peter Hopkins and we will see what we can do for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #116
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Hey guys,

FYI,

the below pic shows 2 oil coolers.

The smaller being a 19 row unit and the larger core consisting of 25 rows.

The 19 row unit will be supplied as the standard unit in the oil cooler kit.

The larger of the two coolers, that features an additional 6 rows or 32% more frontal surface area, will be an optional upgrade.

The larger cooler will cost an additional $150.

This will place the total cost of the entire "Advan Performance Complete Cooling Solution" at $2,645.00

This is of course inclusive of fitment and all associated hardware.

Just to refresh your memory guys, the kit obvioulsy includes all the oil cooler components pictured on the prior page of the thread.

Plus the PWR aluminium "Street/Track" radiator and your choice of either Redline "Waterwetter" or Motul "MoCOOL" utilised in the radiator, instead of the factory demineralised water & ethylene glycol mix.

Details on the Earl's external oil line thermostat to follow shortly.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by JD75; 12-11-2011 at 03:02 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #117
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

"This is of course inclusive of fitment and all associated hardware. "
Nice Justin. Can they come up to Brisbane to fit..., or will they have a reputable, experienced workshop up here to do the work for them?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #118
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

So does this replace the stock OE? Is it possible to run one on each side or is that overkill?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #119
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
"This is of course inclusive of fitment and all associated hardware. "
Nice Justin. Can they come up to Brisbane to fit..., or will they have a reputable, experienced workshop up here to do the work for them?
Hey Tim,

unfortunately I am certain that Peter and the boys will not be travelling to Brisbane to install the kit for you.

However I would think there would have to be at least one reputable performance workshop in your area, that could take care of fitment for you.

I will speak to Pete and obtain a price on the "Complete Cooling Solution" minus installation.

I'll also see if he can recommend a quality workshop in your vicinity, that he has had dealings with in the past.

I will get back to you shortly.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by JD75; 12-11-2011 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #120
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
So does this replace the stock OE? Is it possible to run one on each side or is that overkill?
Yes,

it replaces the stock OE cooler.

I will soon post up pics of the two Earl's oil cooler cores, showing a comparison to the BMW OE unit.

The 25 row core is a monster when compared to the tiny OE unit.

To quote Peter if I may,

"the BMW cooler is a piece of crap and should be tossed in the bin".

With the use of the 25 row core and the Earl's thermostat which has a very low operating point, you will not need 2 coolers.

In short,

yes "one on each side" IMHO is "overkill".

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by JD75; 12-12-2011 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #121
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

just to clarify, this system is going to run with no thermostat at all?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #122
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
NO, the stock unit is removed and replaced with a new housing which will have a new thermostat which will open fully at a much lower temp in order to combat oil temps before that get too high.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:56 AM   #123
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
Hey mate,

the OE thermostat will be disabled and replaced with an external thermostat, that begins to open at 160 degrees Fahrenheit and is fully open by 180.

The above equates to an opening point of 71 degrees Celsius and a full open operating temperature of 82 degrees Celsius.

The below pic shows the Earl's thermostat that we will be using.

The arrows on the side of the housing illustrate the flow path of the oil through the thermostat, pending the temperature of the oil of course.

The OE thermostat that does not fully open until almost 240 degrees Fahrenheit or 115 degrees Celsius, will be removed and a bypass/blanking plate fitted in its place.

Whilst the OE core is just too darn small, its cause is somewhat hindered by the OE thermostat as it opens far too late for my liking.

Engine oil temps are already too high and rising rapidly under track conditions, before the little OE cooler sees full unrestricted flow from the stock thermostat.

The very low operating point of the Earl's thermostat will address the above issue.

It is also worth noting whilst it would be less costly to do away with the thermostat all together, we chose to retain one as this will allow the engine oil on a cold start, to reach its optimum operating temperature as quickly as possible.

Which is obviously a good thing, with respect to minimising wear on the internal components of the engine, following a cold start.
Attached Images

Last edited by JD75; 12-12-2011 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:59 AM   #124
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Looks impressive so far. For the non-local guys can we get a break-down of pricing?

ie.
Oil cooler with thermostat etc
Radiator
Labour

Is there an option to purchase a shroud (like the ER oil cooler)?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:10 AM   #125
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Looks impressive so far. For the non-local guys can we get a break-down of pricing?

ie.
Radiator
Labour

Peter,

any chance of a group buy on this?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #126
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:

ie.
Radiator
Labour

Hey mate,

with regards a "break-down of pricing", wheels are in motion as we speak.

At this stage I can tell you all that the "Advan Performance Complete Cooling Solution" supply only,

will be available for $1,995 inclusive of GST.

N.B. The above price pertains to the smaller of the two Earl's oil coolers.

The larger 25 row core unit will cost an additional $150.

I should have the component pricing for the Earl's oil cooler kit and PWR radiator within a day or so.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by JD75; 12-12-2011 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:38 AM   #127
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post
Peter,

any chance of a group buy on this?
Oh boy,

that didn't take long.

In all seriousness I suspect Peter would be open to a discount,

if there were a minimum number of punters prepared to commit to a purchase.

I will run this by him tomorrow and see what he has to say.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #128
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
Hey mate,

with regards a "break-down of pricing", wheels are in motion as we speak.

At this stage I can tell you all that the "Advan Performance Complete Cooling Solution" supply only,

will be available for $1,995 inclusive of GST.

N.B. The above price pertains to the smaller of the two Earl's oil coolers.

The larger 25 row core unit will cost an additional $150.

I should have the component pricing for the Earl's oil cooler kit and PWR radiator within a day or so.

Cheers,

JD.
Thanks JD.

Am I correct in assuming the radiator and labour come to $650 which is the full price of $2645 minus $1995?

Also, what are the advantages of the smaller Earl oil cooler as opposed to other options such as ER?

I only ask because the single small Earl oil cooler costs $1995 as opposed to the ER oil cooler which is $745. The ER dual core is $1495.

Have you had experiences with any other brands and do you have any data to compare?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #129
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Thanks JD.

Am I correct in assuming the radiator and labour come to $650 which is the full price of $2645 minus $1995?

Also, what are the advantages of the smaller Earl oil cooler as opposed to other options such as ER?

I only ask because the single small Earl oil cooler costs $1995 as opposed to the ER oil cooler which is $745. The ER dual core is $1495.

Have you had experiences with any other brands and do you have any data to compare?
Ummm,

sorry mate but you are a little wrong on a few points.

Firstly the labour component is $500.00 of the total cost of the "Complete Cooling Solution", regardless of whether you opt for the 19 row core or the larger 25 row oil cooler.

Secondly the cost price alone of the PWR all aluminium rad' is substantially more than $150, I wish I could have paid a mere 150 bucks for it.

I think you were of the belief that $1,995 only buys you the oil cooler, thermostat, fittings etc.

Just to reiterate your $1,995 buys you THE ENTIRE KIT, minus the installation of all the hardware and associated components.

I have been using the Stett Stage 2 kit for some time, it is a fine kit but it is going to cost you more than our Stage 2 kit.

Lastly if the ER dual core kit was to outperform our Stage 2 kit, I do not believe the margin will be super significant.

For that matter I am not sure whether the ER kit employs a thermostat upgrade at all.

For what it is worth we could have gone with dual 19 row cores similar to the ER set up,

however Pete wants that passenger side location to remain free, for a CAI he is in the process of fabbing up.

Last edited by JD75; 12-12-2011 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #130
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ummm,

sorry mate but you are a little wrong on a few points.

Firstly the labour component is $500.00 of the total cost of the "Complete Cooling Solution", regardless of whether you opt for the 19 row core or the larger 25 row oil cooler.

Secondly the cost price alone of the PWR all aluminium rad' is substantially more than $150, I wish I could have paid a mere 150 bucks for it.

I think you were of the belief that $1,995 only buys you the oil cooler, thermostat, fittings etc.

Just to reiterate your $1,995 buys you THE ENTIRE KIT, minus the installation of all the hardware and associated components.

I have been using the Stett Stage 2 kit for some time, it is a fine kit but it is going to cost you more than our Stage 2 kit.

Lastly if the ER dual core kit was to outperform our Stage 2 kit, I do not believe the margin will be super significant.

For that matter I am not sure whether the ER kit employs a thermostat upgrade at all.

For what it is worth we could have gone with dual 19 row cores similar to the ER set up,

however Pete wants that passenger side location to remain free, for a CAI he is in the process of fabbing up.
Thanks for clearing that up JD.

The price of 2k for everything sounds a lot more reasonable.

I'm also very interested in the CAI that is being fabricated. Any hints on the design? Is there an ETA yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #131
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

so this isnt just an oil cooler kit? it comes with a radiator as well? does this also come with a lower temp coolant thermostat? this is starting to look like a decent deal.

what will shipping prices to the U.S. look like (will it even be available to APO addresses? im currently stationed in germany)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #132
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
for a CAI he is in the process of fabbing up.
oooohhhhh aaaahhhhh I'm likin' the sound of that
Appreciate 0