BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Interesting downpipe issue

I've had an issue that's perplexed me for a long time..when turning left and on the throttle, or backing out of a parking space my downpipes rub my control arm and I can feel it in the steering wheel and also hear it.

They are installed correctly and I have already had them adjusted once. I'm too the point where I'm ready to say screw it and throw the stocks back on. Can anyone offer up some last advice before I do so? The car has never been in a wreck as well.

If it matters it looks like my midpipe hit something when I was driving a long time ago (see pic), but I doubt that could be causing this issue.

I have VRSF pipes on there now and I had afe's before which originally didn't make any noise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
dbarcliff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

thats a bummer man. let us know what you figure out because i am about to install the same DP's
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Looks like your midpipe (driver's side, connected to the DP that is touching) took a pretty big hit at some point...

With v-bands, there is nothing really to force a specific alignment, so you may just have them rotated a few degrees out. The midpipe may be tweaked enough that it is forcing it to tighten down in a position where it touches.

Why did you switch from afe to VRSF?

Also, you can probably "fix" that just by knocking a dent into the downpipe. It won't really hurt it to have a bit of a dent. Mark the spot, pull it out, give it a good whack with a hammer, move on with your life.
      09-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Looks like your midpipe (driver's side, connected to the DP that is touching) took a pretty big hit at some point...

With v-bands, there is nothing really to force a specific alignment, so you may just have them rotated a few degrees out. The midpipe may be tweaked enough that it is forcing it to tighten down in a position where it touches.

Why did you switch from afe to VRSF?

Also, you can probably "fix" that just by knocking a dent into the downpipe. It won't really hurt it to have a bit of a dent. Mark the spot, pull it out, give it a good whack with a hammer, move on with your life.
That's actually a good idea! I switched because the afe's originally looked really close to that same location and sometimes sounded like it was slightly tapping it - Only to realize they were much better than the VRSF's after I put them in.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
I've had an issue that's perplexed me for a long time..when turning left and on the throttle, or backing out of a parking space my downpipes rub my control arm and I can feel it in the steering wheel and also hear it.

They are installed correctly and I have already had them adjusted once. I'm too the point where I'm ready to say screw it and throw the stocks back on. Can anyone offer up some last advice before I do so? The car has never been in a wreck as well.

If it matters it looks like my midpipe hit something when I was driving a long time ago (see pic), but I doubt that could be causing this issue.

I have VRSF pipes on there now and I had afe's before which originally didn't make any noise.
First off...THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS. I have had the same issue since day one with my VRSF downpipes and I thought I was the only one in the world with this same problem. I took it back to the shop that installed them and they did they best they could to get this to stop without much luck.

I contacted Tiago at VRSF who said this:

"The height could not actually cause this. I ran into an issue on a 335i sedan the other day that was similar to this.

This particular car had a fair amount of engine play/movement when under load and was causing the downpipes to rattle at low rpms and durring low speed turns.

It seems that this is the one that was making contact.

In this particular car, the downpipes could only be clocked so much (clockwise if you're underneath the car looking forward) and if pushed too far, the two flanges would make contact. I remedied this by playing with the clamp that holds the two mid pipes together while paying special attention to the passenger side, short pipe. There are multiple ways they could remedy this if they can't clock them correctly.

One would be to grind a small amount (2-3mm) off the inside part of the short pipe flange after rotating the downpipe as far away from the sub frame as possible.

I'm actually in the process of making a 1 piece "alignment" gasket made of a thinner stainless steel that will take a lot of the hassle out of the alignment out."

It's something that could never be remedied and I've lived with it, but frankly I'm at the same point you are - ready to yank them off the car and do something heinous to them. It's also delayed me in getting the VRSF intercooler because this experience concerned me about fitment and quality issues.

I have to say...other than the fitment issue, I have loved these DPs.
      09-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
HeavyMetalRocker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT

I just installed these today. While taking note of various different posts talking about the rattles, I found within them the problem and solution. The rear downpipe will hit the heat shield if you don't put a hammer to that shield and make about a 1/4 of an inch tap where the DP runs. It took me all of an additional 5 min during the install to do and no rattle. They fit snugg and perfect!
2007 335i e90 6mt | Motiv 750 XR8267 | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | MHD Pump Flash | Walbro 255lph | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | Custom Side Exhaust | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Shoot me a PM, let me know when they were purchased and if re-clocking has been attempted. If it has, I'll be more than happy to offer a replacement with our V2's that offer a bit more clearance in the problem areas.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

I think it could be engine mounts also... Just a guess
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
That's actually a good idea! I switched because the afe's originally looked really close to that same location and sometimes sounded like it was slightly tapping it - Only to realize they were much better than the VRSF's after I put them in.
I know it is six months later, but did you ever get this issue resolved?
      04-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental View Post
I know it is six months later, but did you ever get this issue resolved?
Yup I took my car to a muffler shop and he just bent the pipe alittle bit away from the suspension. Fits fine now, after modification.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #11
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Tiago made mention of an offer of a replacement as long as I would take pictures beforehand since my purchase seems to be out of the time frame that they had an issue with a few sets.

I just don't have the time to go through the entire process of a return/exchange and taking pictures to get things going. I believe I'll be going the same route as you did Spoolin.