BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
vma1788
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36s, 997, CT9a, AP1, F31

Wastegate Compensation. What do you run? (not a WG rattle thread)

I am curious as to what people around here are running for their WG compensation. I currently have Procede Rev3 with the newest v5 maps, FBO, catless DPs etc.

The reason i bring this up is driveability vs rattle.

Story time (feel free to skip to answering):
In a time not so long ago when an eager young chap decided to futs with his e82 and a laptop, he decided to updated his firmware and maps. With Procede the default value was 50%. My wastegates rattled like hell and i hated my car. I read, on this here internet, that lowering this value will reduce rattle. Simple. So i reduced the value 30,fully open (which I found odd that you would want to drive with the wastegates open). The tone of the exhaust was super loud, the rattle was worse and the tip-in was awful. It felt like i was driving my journal bearing big turbo vw. Saving everyone from a story, i found that raising the value to 90, fully closed and the normal way a wastegate functions, the rattle is reduced to nothing.

However at fully closed it seems to build boost almost too quickly, cruising on the parkway it will say about 1psi if i'm on the throttle. Also it seems to be a bit jerky, which are common characteristics of small turbos.

So i was just wondering what most people are running. Obviously the no rattle is important to me, i and adapt my driving style to the touchy throttle but i don't want to strain the turbos by always pumping out low boost. I can reduce the value but i dont really want my wastegates to be partially open during cruising.
Appreciate 0