BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M1

Has anyone got Euro-Delivery invoice?

I'm going into my dealer on Friday and asked if he could find any 08/09 in the country with the options I want, but there wasn't..

So to save as much cash as I can, I'm thinking of doing an 09 Euro-Delivery.

I was wondering, for anyone who has done Euro-Delivery, have you got the ED invoice??

I read over on bimmerpost of some guys who got their cars at $500-1000 over ED invoice here in the states...

Looking to get a Alpine White, Coral Red Leather Interior, High Gloss Trim, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access System, Heated Front Wheel.

Total ED invoice is : 33,130 + Destination. I was thinking since I'll be willing to drive to my NJ port to pick up after the ED, that the $825 could be removed?

I will be financing through BMW's 3.9% promotion and I was thinking about offering $33k OTD.

Also I know they have a "First 2 months free" promotion, and they don't charge for the 1 month after the ED for delivery, so if they tell me $34k OTD, it'd essentially be the same thing as $33k OTD because the first 2 months payments would actually be around $600..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
j128i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 128i Coupe AW/Black

Not me.

Not heard from someone and read online either on doing ED at ED invoice.
Also, CA's commission and BMW finance are different things I guess.

Not sure if you can pick-up your car at NJ port. The car will be sent to prep center first. I read online if you ordered GPS, it needs to change to US setup at prep center etc.

To save money with ED, you better have a business trip along the ED or just stay overnight and back to states. It only make sense otherwise you want to experience Europe. Combining car purchase and Euro trip together you may 'save' some money. If you dont want to see Europe then the total cost is higher than a few thousand dollars you saved from ED car purchasing - trip to Europe counted as extra cost in this case.

I met a guy at Florence, who was visiting Europe and working in State Department, during dinner time when we did ED. He said his trip was paid by Mr. Bush (now will be Mr. Obama) and he is very interested in ED after I told him about the idea.
      02-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

To "get exactly what you want" and "save as much as you can" are two concepts which tend to be somewhat mutually exclusive.

To save as much as you can and get the best deal, get an '08 or '09 off the lot as that stock costs dealers money and those are what they will deal on, in the here and now.

To the Euro Delivery program... While you do save approximately 7% on the cost of the car over MSRP in the states, and you can, in many cases with knowledge and foresight get a better deal (around $1000 over ED invoice) there is the significant cost of the travel and accommodations in Europe. That's not to say that the experience isn't worth those costs, but the ED experience would tend to fall down for me if my only goal was to save money.

Driving on the autobahn, seeing historic sights, experiencing the various cities and doing it all on your own schedule in your own car is amazing. But it wasn't cheap. Gas alone was double versus here and the conversion rate for the Euro, while better than early '08 still hurts a bit.
      02-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
goughar
Rep
Drives: -

I've been talking to a couple of dealers this week. Right now I'm around $1400 over ED invoice (I'm including Doc fees in that number...) I've also been told that ED does not quailfiy for the current 2 month promotion (which seems to make sense as it is a promotion through BMW NA marketing, which ED bypasses.) So essentially the two month free payments would bring regular invoice closer to the ED invoice, making the cost savings smaller.

I myself want to experience ED, so the cost savings with the 2 month program are not as important. However, I would like to get as close to ED invoice as I can....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep

The deal that board sponsors typically give people is around $1500 over ED invoice so you are doing pretty well. Obviously, it is up to you as to how good of a deal is good enough, but a few hundred bucks aren't going to move your payments much over the life of a 5 year loan or however you are financing it.

There's the value of your time to consider and the fact that the ED process from start to finish takes 4-5 months. So the sooner you get the process started, the sooner you can take delivery at the Welt, experience a couple of weeks of Europe and then the utter agony of the re-delivery madness as your baby gets shipped back to the states.

Good luck on whatever you choose.
      02-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
goughar
Rep
Drives: -

Former,

Really the only thing holding me up from biting on my local dealer is that of the $1400, $400 is doc fee. But overall, I think it's pretty good. (I'm sure there are others who would want to drive down lower)

I'm really not after the ED for the cost savings, but am really looking forward to the trip!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep

Ah, I see. Well, do the the ol' walk in, check book in hand ready to do the deal if they reduce the doc fee to whatever you are looking for. If when they don't, walk out. They'll call. In a short month like February, in this economy, they'll call.
      02-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
OK, I should mention that you cannot bypass the delivery/destination fees and you cannot pick up the car at the NJ port or prep center. The car will automatically be delivered to your dealer and that is where you will do re-delivery. The $825 destination fee, everyone pays for regardless if they do ED or not. You save on the MACO and training fees by doing ED and of course the standard 7% under MSRP.

If you buy a car in dealer stock, you run the risk of getting a loaded up car with options you don't need + mileage if the car was used for demonstrations. Cars in stock also get window etching and dealer installed extras. If you know exactly what you want and would like to experience Europe, I highly recommend doing ED. Try to shoot for $500 to $1k over ED invoice also. Don't settle!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
RockChalk135
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe, Le Mans, Black

If you want to order a bit farther away, I have a guy in Eugene, OR who'll do $750 over invoice. I got that and the extra stuff you are getting charged is a joke. You are in the drivers seat during this economy.
March 30th, 2009 ED | 135 Le Mans-Blue | Black Boston | Gray poplar | Premium | M-Sport | Cold Weather | CAS | iDrive | Premium Hi-Fi | iPod | HD Radio | Smart Phone... I hope all this stuff doesn't break :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
RockChalk135
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe, Le Mans, Black

And that $750 is without a doc fee. (Which is a crock by the way...)
March 30th, 2009 ED | 135 Le Mans-Blue | Black Boston | Gray poplar | Premium | M-Sport | Cold Weather | CAS | iDrive | Premium Hi-Fi | iPod | HD Radio | Smart Phone... I hope all this stuff doesn't break :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goughar View Post
Former,

Really the only thing holding me up from biting on my local dealer is that of the $1400, $400 is doc fee. But overall, I think it's pretty good. (I'm sure there are others who would want to drive down lower)

I'm really not after the ED for the cost savings, but am really looking forward to the trip!
goughar,

You're in North Carolina. You have no worries.

Contact as many BMW dealers as you possibly can in the USA. No matter where they're located. You should be able to get it down to a reasonable doc fee + a reasonable charge over invoice (and $1,000 is too high - that's $1,000 including dealer profit AND doc fees, you can get under that with both.) You should be able to take care of paperwork via fax, FedEx, and a notary public.

Take your European Delivery. Then take re-delivery at BMW's Performance Center in Greenville, South Carolina. You can do this even if your dealer's in Alaska. (Heck, I'm doing this, and I ordered from a dealership that's within walking distance of my home.)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
SLO
Shane
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, RRS, LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by former View Post
The deal that board sponsors typically give people is around $1500 over ED invoice so you are doing pretty well. Obviously, it is up to you as to how good of a deal is good enough, but a few hundred bucks aren't going to move your payments much over the life of a 5 year loan or however you are financing it.

There's the value of your time to consider and the fact that the ED process from start to finish takes 4-5 months. So the sooner you get the process started, the sooner you can take delivery at the Welt, experience a couple of weeks of Europe and then the utter agony of the re-delivery madness as your baby gets shipped back to the states.

Good luck on whatever you choose.
Does ED really take 4 -5 months from start to finish? I am planning on placing the order this week for delivery in May as i was under the impression that cars were being allocated only 3 months out.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Does ED really take 4 -5 months from start to finish? I am planning on placing the order this week for delivery in May as i was under the impression that cars were being allocated only 3 months out.
That sounds about right. Place order 3 months ahead of time, take delivery in Europe, then allow 4-8 weeks for re-delivery. (Probably closer to 8 weeks if you're on the West Coast.)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

I did ED last year and was able to get $1k over ED invoice (and free HD radio thrown in)

Also I picked up my car May 29th in Munich, got it back at the Performance center on August 2nd. Granted, there was a bit of a delay due to the Performance Center being booked. Had I just skipped PCD, I would have had my car a week or two sooner.

Hope that helps!

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #15
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've been to Germany plenty of times, dont really care to see it once again. If I did ED, it'd simply be to pick up the vehicle, spend a night, maybe 2, then fly back and wait to pick her up...

I offered my dealer 33k out the door on diplomatic delivery, which had a total price of $34,995, including the destination, training service and MAACO fee.

My uncle is a diplomate in the State Dept, sort of like the guy one of you met who had Bush pay for his trip (that's where our taxes go... DOH). So I figure I'd save on the hassle of flying out there and such for ED.

I actually have a free flight to Europe, and with E-D, I hear you get a second ticket for free if on Lufthansa..? So if dealer won't agree to 33k OTD on diplomatic delivery, I may have to do ED, and shoot for the same 33k OTD offer. A difference of $1,040 from the diplomatic price of 34,995..

Wish me luck.. I go in Friday if all these e-mails go well.

If I can't get it, may have to consider 370z..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster311 View Post
I've been to Germany plenty of times, dont really care to see it once again. If I did ED, it'd simply be to pick up the vehicle, spend a night, maybe 2, then fly back and wait to pick her up...
No reason to stay just in Germany... plenty of other countries right next door.

Good luck to you. Hope you get the deal you are looking for.

Regarding the amount of time for ED, it can be shorter, but it also can be longer. I only ordered 2 months in advance (Aug 26th), picked up on Oct 25th and spent 10 days in Europe. Dropped off on Nov 5th and got redelivery on the West Coast on Dec 23rd.
      02-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goughar View Post
Former,

Really the only thing holding me up from biting on my local dealer is that of the $1400, $400 is doc fee. ...
Please keep us posted! I'm in RTP area and also am planning on an ED this fall. In this economy, it seems to me the price over ED invoice should be less than $1k by a bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #18
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by former View Post
No reason to stay just in Germany... plenty of other countries right next door.

Good luck to you. Hope you get the deal you are looking for.

Regarding the amount of time for ED, it can be shorter, but it also can be longer. I only ordered 2 months in advance (Aug 26th), picked up on Oct 25th and spent 10 days in Europe. Dropped off on Nov 5th and got redelivery on the West Coast on Dec 23rd.

If I do ED, they told me I will get a March/April Production, so I most likely would take delivery in May. Based on this, if I order now, I'm looking about 3 months.. Basically the same time they quoted you.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #19
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennislaw View Post
Please keep us posted! I'm in RTP area and also am planning on an ED this fall. In this economy, it seems to me the price over ED invoice should be less than $1k by a bit.
I'm only going to settle for invoice on ED.

With this horrible car market, I wouldn't pay more than invoice here in the states, why should I in Munich? That's how I see it.

If dealer wont give me Euro-Delivery invoice (of course I have to go to Munich to get it), I wont settle.

If they are willing to do the diplomatic MSRP, which is only about $650 more than ED invoice, but with US delivery, then they certainly can do invoice on ED...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Well, it's one thing to get invoice on a car already on the dealer's lot -- they're trying to move merchandise that they may already have paid for. Quite another to ask a dealer to special order a car for invoice.

Good luck with that, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #21
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Well, it's one thing to get invoice on a car already on the dealer's lot -- they're trying to move merchandise that they may already have paid for. Quite another to ask a dealer to special order a car for invoice.

Good luck with that, though.
Thanks. Ill need it. US invoice is: $36,260. Since I'm do diplomatic delivery, diplomatic invoice is $34,995 (including dest. maaco. and training). That's what the standing offer is FROM my dealer.

I'm willing to do ED but realized I lose the 2 free payments offer which is essentially $1250. So it's kinda useless?

So I'm thinking of sticking with the diplomatic delivery, but trying to settle at 34k OTD.

34k OTD with the first 2 months free is basically what I'm looking for (33,000 out the door with 1200 savings from first 2 months)...

Wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #22
j128i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 128i Coupe AW/Black

Good luck!

Keep us in the loop.
By the way, about the 2-for-1 flight ticket deal for BMW ED, the 2nd ticket is not 'free', you have to pay tax. So, the total price for the deal is about 1.5 not 1 - and an expensive 1. For ED, you may want to shopping around - assuming you got the ED invoice deal - you will be the luckiest guy in the world.

Volvo ED provide you true 2 free round trip tickets and 1 night 4 star hotel. A meatball meal. Not bad actually if you want to drive a Volvo (36000mile/3yr free maintenance).