BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
NYSLC93
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M & 2017 4Runner

N54 JB4 G5 ISO Boost Issues on the 1M

A little help from those running the JB4...

I have a 1M with an AFE intake and full Akrapovic Exhaust (stock DP's).

I installed the JB4 G5 last week, installed the lasted firmware and then dialed in Map 5.

The 1M has a "M" or Sport Mode Button which engages a higher temporary boost level and better throttle response. When engaged with the JB4, the turbos spool up really quickly, and the car takes off, but then the boost peaks and drops back down...and you need to climb back up.
I have the max boost set to 18psi, but it seems to peak at about 11psi before hitting a wall and dropping back down. Very annoying.

Are there any work arounds with using Sport Mode on the 1M in connection with the JB4 making for a more linear delivery of power? I'll try Map 2 this week, but I'm curious if there are settings specific to the 1M that I should be tweaking.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSLC93 View Post
A little help from those running the JB4...

I have a 1M with an AFE intake and full Akrapovic Exhaust (stock DP's).

I installed the JB4 G5 last week, installed the lasted firmware and then dialed in Map 5.

The 1M has a "M" or Sport Mode Button which engages a higher temporary boost level and better throttle response. When engaged with the JB4, the turbos spool up really quickly, and the car takes off, but then the boost peaks and drops back down...and you need to climb back up.
I have the max boost set to 18psi, but it seems to peak at about 11psi before hitting a wall and dropping back down. Very annoying.

Are there any work arounds with using Sport Mode on the 1M in connection with the JB4 making for a more linear delivery of power? I'll try Map 2 this week, but I'm curious if there are settings specific to the 1M that I should be tweaking.
Is JB4 changing boost for the M mode? I ask because by default it has been my understanding that M mode only changes the throttle map not anything else. The car has a temporary overboost function but that is only temporary and only in high load low RPM situations like being in 4th gear low RPM and flooring it. This is of course by default but not sure what JB4 does. So you could see a higher boost if you floor it and are at low RPMs then it comes off. This would not happen in a high rpm situation like launching from a standstill. Where the M button would have an effect is that it reaches a higher throttle position quicker and if you are at low RPm the quicker throttle mapping will cause a high load situation. I always worry about some of those maps because they sell them for All N54 applications yet the software is different on 1M than non overboost cars. I have used JB4 with Evo not BMW but just want to make sure that you knew what the default operation is for the M button. I know it's not the answer but hope it helps somewhat and also if the JB4 does alter the functionality of the M button to include additional boost that would be good knowledge form the rest of us. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Not to start a war . . . but consider removing the JB4 and installing MHD flash. Low cost, gazillion options off the shelf, the boost is properly controlled, and if you have any irregularities, you can datalog.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0