BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
DCT Oil Leak?

was working on my car this weekend and noticed a bunch of oil on the undertrays around the middle of my car (2011 e82 dct). at first i thought it was leftover oil from oil changes. but when i pulled off the under tray i realized a different part of the car is covered in oil (see pic). this looks like the transmission, can you guys tell from the pics? in the first pic you can see the oil on the tranny and the undertray. the second pic i tried to zoom in on the transmission.

my car is under warranty so i am taking it to the dealership to get checked out but i have little confidence it will get fixed. my car has been to the dealership twice in the last two months, one of which was for the 30K mile oil change. of course, the dealership never mentioned any sort of oil leak even though they say an inspection was performed both times my car was their.

have you guys seen this before or do you know if it is the transmission? whatever it is, it is leaking a lot of oil!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
tuesday morning bump. anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The rear crankshaft seal has been a problem on some cars. On some car its makes a fluttering type noise... on other it just leaks oil onto the clutch. I think almost everyone was a manual trans car. But I don't see why it couldn't leak on a DCT as well. Looks like engine oil to me. Was your engine oil low?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
thanks for the reply Dack.

Engine oil was full. my car was just at the dealership for the 30k service/oil change and they didnt mention anything about an oil leak. i dropped the car off at the dealership this morning and showed my service advisor the pictures. Hopefully should have an update this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

that looks like the trans pan seal is persihed between the bolts and the inner part of the pan. it doesnt appear to be running down the side but rather down the bolt and out near the head of the bolt. Ther ecoul dbe other areas that it could be coming from but genereally where the most saturation of oil is the genereal area you should focus on to correct for these issues. Look at it this way, to fix it you have to have the pan removed which means you will get new trans oil even though it is marked as lifetime. Of course i believe them when they say that though. <wink wink>
      09-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF your dealer NPF's (no problem found) the car... your best bet would be to thoroughly wash the trans area and then put a UV dye into the engine oil. Then your dealer can use a UV light to confirm its engine oil and not trans oil.

And... IF your dealer doesn't have a UV dye kit... have them buy one from the local Snap-On truck guy!

Dack
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
so i got my car back tonight. it turned out to be the transmission gasket was leaking. a new gasket was installed and 2 quarts of auto transmission oil was added. hopefully they used the right transmission oil.

they replaced the gasket no questions asked, but i am still a little annoyed they did not do anything about the problem when my car was there for service a few weeks ago. had i not installed my fmic last weekend, i wouldve not known the transmission gasket was leaking!

car seems to run and shift fine. i didnt really get on it because i need to adjust the cold intercooler pipe for the helix fmic.

thanks again for your replies.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Blue/Tan Nav/M/HK

houtan my car is getting the same procedure, transmission gasket being replaced. How can I confirm that the tranny is not low on oil? The check control on the CIC appears to only check engine oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigsMeister View Post
houtan my car is getting the same procedure, transmission gasket being replaced. How can I confirm that the tranny is not low on oil? The check control on the CIC appears to only check engine oil.
Only way to check is to pull the fill plug out on the side of the trans while the vehicle is running. Hopefully they are replacing the mechatronic seal and not just the lower pan.. If they do just the pan, it'll start looking the same real quick.
      01-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

Any way to see this without pulling the plastic shroud off? Why would the dealer even look for this (or the owner for that matter) unless the shroud was pulled off for some reason? Scary.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 12:40 AM   #11
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Blue/Tan Nav/M/HK

Picked up my car today, and peeked under with my cell phone. Is this the transmission pan? Looks like they put in a new one, but also sealed it with LOCTITE FLANGE SEALANT. This is what is stated in the service invoice. See picture ... WTH?
Attached Images

Last edited by SigsMeister; 01-24-2015 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 12:37 AM   #12
AyJay87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT Le Mans Blue

I discovered the same leak after a supposed inspection as well. You can find my feedback here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...0#post17535720

If the fluid level was low enough, is it possible for the clutches to develop noises due to excessive "dry" contact? It is my understanding that the clutch unit is a "wet" type. I'd appreciate any feedback.
https://www.instagram.com/the_driving_gallery/ '12 135i DCT Le Mans Blue * M Sport Package * BMW Performance Exhaust * PPK 1 * ST Coilovers * Cobb Sway Bars * Dinan Camber Plates * VMR V705 Wheels * Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #13
MONEY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Hello, Yesterday for the first time, I noticed my DCT slipping in higher gears 4-5.

During PS2 turbo install I noticed oil on the pan under the transmission during the turbo install. I think the mechatronic sleeve and or gasket/seals on the pan need replacing and new tranny oil added?

I hope the reason above is the cause for the slippage as only having 35k on the clutch should not be slipping? I have researched some forum posts, a lot from M3 forums that have the same transmission with known DCT leaks.

Could the above be the reason why my clutch is slipping? If so, how do we proceed on fixing this?

Any help regarding the above will be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

I have the DCT, and I have experienced oil leaking from the cover on the pax side of the unit. If you have a leak here, the transmission has to be removed to replace a couple of dollars gasket. This may also be true for the mechatronic seal. In any case, this was a 9 hour job done under warranty. I'd hate to get the bill for this without a warranty. In fact, this was the main reason I got the extended warranty.

The DCT isn't reparable at least by a BMW dealer. The unit has to be replaced, price $10K and ordered from the homeland. I exercise gentle treatment of the unit.

I change the engine oil once a year, and at the same time, I remove the cover and examine the DCT for leaks. So far so good. I also check the engine's pan for leaks at the same time.

Don't believe BMW's propaganda about a Lifetime fill. Pentosin, the maker of the DCT's oil, recommends doing a flush and changing the fluid in it around 50K. It also involves changing two filters. One in the pan and one on the driver's side. This isn't a simple drain & fill, since the oil level has to be checked at a certain temperature, 40C. Problem is I don't know who can do it! BMW won't.

So in short, treat it with the utmost respect, or suffer the consequences!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #15
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
I have the DCT, and I have experienced oil leaking from the cover on the pax side of the unit. If you have a leak here, the transmission has to be removed to replace a couple of dollars gasket. This may also be true for the mechatronic seal. In any case, this was a 9 hour job done under warranty. I'd hate to get the bill for this without a warranty. In fact, this was the main reason I got the extended warranty.

The DCT isn't reparable at least by a BMW dealer. The unit has to be replaced, price $10K and ordered from the homeland. I exercise gentle treatment of the unit.

I change the engine oil once a year, and at the same time, I remove the cover and examine the DCT for leaks. So far so good. I also check the engine's pan for leaks at the same time.

Don't believe BMW's propaganda about a Lifetime fill. Pentosin, the maker of the DCT's oil, recommends doing a flush and changing the fluid in it around 50K. It also involves changing two filters. One in the pan and one on the driver's side. This isn't a simple drain & fill, since the oil level has to be checked at a certain temperature, 40C. Problem is I don't know who can do it! BMW won't.

Agree 100% there are two seals to be replaced don't wait to do it. One is on the top of the transmission and the bottom one as you had replaced. I paid out of pocket almost $2k for the repair... super fun at least now I have peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #16
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beattiecj View Post
Agree 100% there are two seals to be replaced don't wait to do it. One is on the top of the transmission and the bottom one as you had replaced. I paid out of pocket almost $2k for the repair... super fun at least now I have peace of mind.
Actually three - the gasket on the pan, one on the pax vertical side, and the sleeve located I don't know where?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #17
MONEY
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beattiecj View Post
Actually three - the gasket on the pan, one on the pax vertical side, and the sleeve located I don't know where?
The mechatronic sleeve?

Also, is there a kit available that includes all gaskets/filters that needs to be replaced?

If not, what are the part numbers?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #18
atch417
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

This just happened to my car. Not sure what all is being replaced at the moment but it's being done tomorrow. Grand total is around $990 I believe. I can post a pic of the invoice when I get it back later tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #19
MONEY
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atch417 View Post
This just happened to my car. Not sure what all is being replaced at the moment but it's being done tomorrow. Grand total is around $990 I believe. I can post a pic of the invoice when I get it back later tomorrow.
That would be awesome if you could send me the invoice, feel free to DM it. Who is doing the work on your car? Also, how many miles is on yours?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #20
Tenspeed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i E88 DCT

Quote:

I took my car to a local indie closer to home for an inspection just before my CPO expired to ensure I had no issues (I was thinking OFHG and wanted any known issue covered by the CPO). The engine was dry, but they discovered a seep on my DCT pan.

I took it to the nearest dealer in Charlotte and they took care of it for me under warranty. They struggled to find someone that was qualified and willing to do the work, but in the end, one of the techs stepped up.

They were originally going to do an in car repair (mechatronix valve body, oil, gasket, pan, bolts) until I asked if replacing the valve body would affect the mechatronix seal. They then did a trans out job and replaced the mechatronix seal as well.

Best $50 I ever spent.

Last edited by Tenspeed; 02-27-2019 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #21
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenspeed View Post
I took my car to a local indie closer to home for an inspection just before my CPO expired to ensure I had no issues (I was thinking OFHG and wanted any known issue covered by the CPO). The engine was dry, but they discovered a seep on my DCT pan.

I took it to the nearest dealer in Charlotte and they took care of it for me under warranty. They struggled to find someone that was qualified and willing to do the work, but in the end, one of the techs stepped up.

They originally were originally going to do an in car repair (mechatronix valve body, oil, gasket, pan, bolts) until I asked if replacing the valve body would affect the mechatronix seal. They then did a trans out job and replaced the mechatronix seal as well.

Best $50 I ever spent.

Don't get too happy! If you're smart, as part of your normal service, you'll get under the car, take of the transmission cover, and inspect for leaks.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #22
bhashe
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335I

Front driver side oil leak

When arrived at work today I saw few drips of oil and took a closer look and appears to be leaking all over the cover finder, anyone had this issue before? Please help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0