BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #23
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh
Congrats on the car bud!!

Wife's car is a 125i and every time I get to drive it, I can't help but say out loud.... "This thing is so... damn smooth...... this engine..... it's just incredible"

Every time..

I love that motor.

I wanted it to be white too but alas, she insisted on Black. Oh well, it's still damn smooth.
Hahaha this is exactly what I say with my missus BSM 125 too and as you said, each time I drive it!! Just 3 times yesterday the sports auto is a clever box.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 04:33 AM   #24
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: e82 125i

Kaitan, bought from ECS Tuning, they were $25us for a pair. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-128...ights/ES11129/

I don't think I'll replace them though, they're bright, but not bright enough for me. Looks heaps better though than stock...
      08-24-2014, 04:34 AM   #25
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
Hahaha this is exactly what I say with my missus BSM 125 too and as you said, each time I drive it!! Just 3 times yesterday the sports auto is a clever box.
I love the car at the moment, should be getting a Performance Exhaust in next few months, and she'll sing even better.
      08-25-2014, 03:30 AM   #26
trap
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i AW '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by wht125i View Post
Welcome!
I had my 135i for a few weeks now and I'm pretty disappointed with the standard audio, I expected to be a bit better considering the price of this cars.
Wondering why these ones made into your list, did you consider a few?

Are you getting the rear spoiler in Jet Black?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:45 AM   #27
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

Hey trap,

I haven't got them yet, paying for the insurance excess this quarter instead. Selection mainly driven by price, $300 seems fair, the focals are twice that and probably not twice as good to my ears... plus I need the tweeter housings, so that's another $150. Sadly can't find many options tbh, and just want quick change over.

Research was done through crutchfield.com - they seem to have done all the hard work, stock all the brands I'd buy, but recommend only a few plug and play options. That's good enough for me.

rear spoiler is right down the list now, after the car is repaired the order will be performance exhaust, speakers, an internal wrap in a lighter colour.
      08-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #28
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post

Seriously though - I have the grocery gripper and it's pretty handy. I always hang my groceries on them and the plastic bag will break before it comes close to coming off. Actually I've never had a bag come off. Thinking about getting a grocery gripper on the other side too.

[/url]
To the two of you with the grocery gripper, did you also order the installation bracket that getbmwparts suggests you require? When I search for the bracket part number on their website nothing comes up.

Are either of you also running a boot cargo net? I'm on the hunt for one that'll fit an E82 boot hooks.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #29
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJustin View Post
To the two of you with the grocery gripper, did you also order the installation bracket that getbmwparts suggests you require? When I search for the bracket part number on their website nothing comes up.

Are either of you also running a boot cargo net? I'm on the hunt for one that'll fit an E82 boot hooks.
It's been a while since I've installed it but I'm fairly sure you need the bracket as it screws into the car itself. The only net I have is in the corner of the drivers side boot, not all that useful though.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #30
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

I get my car back late next week from the repairer, seems it has been a pretty easy job, basically bolt on and off the panels, give it a spray, then return. No additional issues were found during their repair works which is excellent news.

SPEAKERS
So without the car, I've managed to spend money on getting some new speakers ready for delivery. After much consideration, I have ordered replacement front speakers, and new rear deck speakers from Crutchfield. I was very seriously considering a component setup for the front, but cost is an issue. The speakers would have been $300, not $150. Then I'd need to get tweeter housings, so add another $150. When I kept researching, given that I have no intention to put an amp in, I wouldn't get the best results so no point in spending the extra money.

Front speakers are Helix Match MS 4X-BMW-1 for $150 USD. Plug and play, very little effort.

Rear speakers are Helix Blue B4X for $60 USD. Again, pretty much plug and play.

I'll get the underseat woofers at some point, probably in the new year.

TYRES
I'm replacing the run craps in the next few months, I've sourced a space saver and associated jack, and everything else in the last week. So now I can upgrade. Going to get 225 and 255 PS3s.

INTERIOR WRAP
I'm narrowing down the options for in the interior wrap - either the carbon fibre wrap, or the titanium wrap. Not sure which one I'll get yet, leaning towards the titanium, but not sure what will look best... would love thoughts. My primary desire to even bother is to provide contrast in the interior, I find it too dark, so thinking the titanium will be a nice compromise.
      09-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #31
trap
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i AW '09

keen to know if the overall sound was worth the $ and effort.
Do they ship to Au? how much did it cost?

I;m going to be replacing the run craps soon as well, are you buying the PS3s from the Tyre Rack?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #32
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

I figure for $210 usd plus $60usd postage they will be a material improvement on base stereo. I'm using shipito as a po box, then they'll send out. Shipping should be around $60usd based on my estimate.

I'll just go to jaxquickfit. They're cheap - 225 is $250? Fitted each... Need to check 255 price. Quote from tyre rack for postage was $256 for 4 tyres... Then still need to pay fitting. And get them picked up from po box. Not worth effort IMHO.

Last edited by wht125i; 09-06-2014 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:48 AM   #33
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

quick update; and excellent news - I'm replacing the run craps in the next week or so. Ordered a pair of 255 PS3s for the rear from tyresales.com.au ($348 ea) and pair of 225 from the local Bob Jane Tmart for a very competitive price. Fitting the fronts on Saturday, rears should be shipped and ready on Friday I hope. Cannot wait to drive the car with the new shoes.
      10-04-2014, 01:59 AM   #34
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

This will come as no surprise to the converted, normal tyres are so much better than run craps! The car actually grips now, is more compliant, brakes better and with more feel, accelerates better, turns better, just everything is better with no run craps.

I was hesitant at first, the rears def needed replacement (after only 33k ffs!!), fronts still had much life left, but bit the bullet and did all four. Best money spent on the car. The tyres actually work WITH the car now.

Fitted 225 / 255 and no issues. Slightly higher sidewall makes the wheel arches look full too, a nice side benefit.
      10-04-2014, 02:05 AM   #35
Anthony B
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: lemans 135i & m30b35 e30

33k is a solid innings, I'm at wear indicators after 11k which is just poor self control on my part lol

I found the same change from run flats to hankook evo s1's, & I know the PS3's are stickier.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 03:58 AM   #36
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

Time for another update, amazing how time flies.

Interior wrap
I bought the titanium 3m wrap when it was on sale at supercheapauto. I wasn't sure it'd be the right colour, the silver trim on vents and gear change are nothing like titanium. I picked what was available, and I love it. So far I've done the easy parts - door grabs, centre trim, around the shifter. I love it. It has provided a huge contrast (desired outcome), and makes me feel like I'm in a more expensive interior. The wrap was easy if time consuming, and it looks like a professional install IMO. The wrap has some texture to it as well, which provides some complexity to light reflections.
Photos to follow.

Exhaust
I ended up choosing a super sprint exhaust for my car. It's currently en route from Italy, and assuming DHL deliver to my mechanic in late December, I'll have it fitted by Christmas time. I'm super excited, nervous to hear the sound, but anything will be better than what I currently have.

Tires
The PS3s have really been good, they have so much grip, brake feel and comfort that the run craps, that the car still feels like a completely different car. I've always like PS3s, and would be excited to try the PSS next time. Tire wear seems good so far, I'm going to be measuring every few thousand kms, I'll be keen to see how well they go.

Speakers
They've broken in now and I love them. The extra bass is great, vocal clarity is great, they're more than enough for me and I'm so glad I got them. Would recommend.

Not too much on the need to do list now, probably just relax for a few months, enjoy the new exhaust hopefully by xmas, then I think the m3 front arms and rear bushes will be required. So many options, not enough $$.
      01-28-2015, 05:29 AM   #37
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

Few more posts to come, here is the first one showing my interior wrapping fun over the holidays.

Thanks to AndyM, his DIY for removal of interior console. Much swearing to get out the centre console, and the trick ended up being getting the handbrake up at least 9 clicks. 9. I do 3 normally, 9 felt like beyond the limit of the vehicle, but eventually got there. Reassembly needed some effort, was hard to slot everything back together.

06-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #38
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

I also joined the club and put a BSM trunk spoiler on the car, the thread is here

But here is a photo if you don't want to follow through

06-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #39
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

Super Sprint Rear Muffler

Just after Christmas my SuperSprint muffler finally arrived from Italy, and after New Year I had it installed. I ended up choosing the rear exhaust only, with 'power loop', 80mm twin exit, the product code is 985806. After months of waiting - it had to be made specifically for me - I couldn't wait for it to turn up. My mechanic undertook the install, it's meant to be plug and play right?

It wasn't quite plug and play, during shipping one of the pipes on the back of the exhaust had been compressed to an oval shape, which mean all the fittings wouldn't come together! Eventually sharp eyes picked up the issue and found a way to get it circle again. The finish is excellent, I really like it. The fitting was perfect (after the oval was resolved) and no additional modifications were needed. IMO I would have preferred the tips to stick out a little more, but it is what it is. They stick out less than stock, but they have more presence than stock.

The sound. After it was broken in it gives a really nice sound. I've done 6k on it now, and I'm loving the sound. Cold start is mean, it actually burbles like a 3.0L inline six should. On throttle is nice, it actually sounds like a car now. WOT is epic, it just screams, I love it. It is much nicer sound overall, a bit louder, a lot throatier. I would love to try getting the matching resonator delete pipes, but I'm not sure I want to drop another $800 on the system...

Here are a few photos

Last edited by wht125i; 06-29-2015 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:10 AM   #40
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

DR650GW - 2CH Dashcam

In the past few months I've also installed a dash cam. The BlackVue DR650GW-2CH model. I'll come back to this post and update it.

Highlights
- hard wired
- parking mode
- Full HD front and rear
- full install and no issues with battery or hardware since install
- stealth install
      06-26-2015, 03:21 AM   #41
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wht125i View Post
Just after Christmas my SuperSprint muffler finally arrived from Italy, and after New Year I had it installed. I ended up choosing the rear exhaust only, with 'power loop', 80mm twin exit, the product code is 985806. After months of waiting - it had to be made specifically for me - I couldn't wait for it to turn up. My mechanic undertook the install, it's meant to be plug and play right?

It wasn't quite plug and play, during shipping one of the pipes on the back of the exhaust had been compressed to an oval shape, which mean all the fittings wouldn't come together! Eventually sharp eyes picked up the issue and found a way to get it circle again. The finish is excellent, I really like it. The fitting was perfect (after the oval was resolved) and no additional modifications were needed. IMO I would have preferred the tips to stick out a little more, but it is what it is. They stick out less than stock, but they have more presence than stock.

The sound. After it was broken in it gives a really nice sound. I've done 6k on it now, and I'm loving the sound. Cold start is mean, it actually burbles like a 3.0L inline six should. On throttle is nice, it actually sounds like a car now. WOT is epic, it just screams, I love it. It is much nicer sound overall, a bit louder, a lot throatier. I would love to try getting the matching resonator delete pipes, but I'm not sure I want to drop another $800 on the system...

I've only got a few photos at the moment, I'll update this in the future when I've done my next detail on the car and have the right light to show off.

Video of this please
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:08 AM   #42
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousgook View Post
Video of this please
will do. what's the best way? inside car is pretty easy, but not sure how to get outside on WOT?