BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: CSM N54 Prem/Comf/Sound

Suspension compare...help!

So I've purchased the following
- eibach sport spring (1.2" drop)
- Koni FSDs
- M3 wishbones
- M3 control arms
- M3 sway bar

And I'm having second thoughts.

For the price I can get for the parts (~$1500...I'm Canadian), and the cost of install (~$1500) I could get a set of Apex wheels and some PSS tires (235 & 265).

I don't track as we don't have one.

More lateral grip would be awesome (which both setups would give me) and I'll be buying the PSS tires next winter as the run craps are 'thin' in the back 😊

Insightful comments are requested!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

The suspension is worth more than rims and tires...you made the right choice there. But to be honest the install cost seem a bit hit. You should be able to get that all installed for 800 to 1k i'd say. Most of that stuff is all related anyways when installing so its just a couple extra bolts to say change the sway bar if you're already taking out the struts.
      05-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
BBursey
Work hard, play harder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I just installed the Dinan Stage 2 suspension and bushing kit. Way overpriced, but the change in performance is great. I'm still on stock rim / tire set-up, and will deal with that next year after I wear out these crappy run-flats.

So, +1 that suspension upgrade is the way to go first.

Cheers,
Bryan
2011 135i M Sport | COBB V3 AP Stage 1+ | ER FMIC and CP | BMS OCC | Dinan Stage 3 Suspension | Dinan High Performance Bushing Kit | M3 Wishbones | Modified CDV | Clutch Stop | APEX EC-7 Wheels w/ Michelin PSS 235/40R18 265/35R18 Tires | Maddad Street Series Exhaust | BMW Performance Kidney Grills | LCI Blacklines | Armrest Delete | Spoiler Delete | 28% Tint
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Both mods are worth doing. However, the suspension changes are going to transform the way the car drives and handles. I think you will be happy with your choice of upgrading the suspension now. You can always go with non runflat tires and better wheels later.

I've done both to my car and I did it in stages. No harm with incremental improvements to the car. I happened to do the wheels and tires first, but I could just as easily done the suspension mods first. And I did my suspension mods in stages too, FSB, then M3 control arms and tension rods, then springs and dampers.
      05-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

I think the mistake is the FSD's, should have gone with adjustable yellows
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
I agree. I prefer the Koni Sports (yellows) over the FSDs.
      05-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: CSM N54 Prem/Comf/Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
I agree. I prefer the Koni Sports (yellows) over the FSDs.
Too late on the shocks. Lol.

Did you notice a significant difference on the suspension mods?

Keep the thoughts/comments coming!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstib View Post
Did you notice a significant difference on the suspension mods?
Definitely. You'll be surprised and pleased with how much better the car handles and the way the car feels. The M3 FSB and the springs/dampers will take away a lot of the body roll that the car has stock, the M3 control arms and tension rods will improve turn in and steering feel and the springs/dampers will improve handling considerably versus the OEM springs/dampers.
      05-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Agreed. I have all that (except Dinan's proprietary valved Koni yellows) and the car is very planted now. The back yaws and steps out on me way less. Of course that could be due to the m3 subframe bushings more than the suspension, but the m3 parts still transform the steering and turn-in.

Our stock parts have so much deflection -- I have them sitting in a box at home and I'm shocked at the difference. They're heavier and hollow so the m3 parts are a huge improvement.
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0