BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

10mm spacers - which brands seat correctly?

Hey all,

As the title says, I'm trying to ascertain whose 10mm hubcentric spacers seat correctly on a 1M. I've been reading thread after thread, but answers seemt o vary and I can't be certain.

If I have to I'll run 12mm and 5mm spacers, but I'd rather not run 5mm slip ons and believer 12mm is slightly too wide.

Thanks in advance.

Dane

Last edited by phunky_monkey; 11-21-2016 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I am pretty sure we need 12+ on the front if you want them to be hubcentric due to the height of the lip on the hub. Also, the stock front wheels have a tapered bore, and from my measurements looks like any spacer over 2-3mm would eliminate the overlap despite the height of the lip on the hub. Annoying! Aftermarket wheels may be hubcentric with a 5mm spacer depending on the shape of the bore.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I am pretty sure we need 12+ on the front if you want them to be hubcentric due to the height of the lip on the hub. Also, the stock front wheels have a tapered bore, and from my measurements looks like any spacer over 2-3mm would eliminate the overlap despite the height of the lip on the hub. Annoying! Aftermarket wheels may be hubcentric with a 5mm spacer depending on the shape of the bore.
Thanks mate, that's what I was led to believe as well.

I did ask EAS and Macht Schnell and they both came back saying that 10mm fits without issue, but I've gone back and ask for confirmation that they sit perfectly flush against the hub.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Thanks mate, that's what I was led to believe as well.

I did ask EAS and Macht Schnell and they both came back saying that 10mm fits without issue, but I've gone back and ask for confirmation that they sit perfectly flush against the hub.
If they work, please let me know!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
I have 10mm from ECS on mine. Worked great! The bore is deep enough so they sit flush on the hub. I had the same concerns and went for it.When they arrived I confirmed with a micrometer that the bore is adequate.

I did re-torque the wheel studs after a day of driving.

I posted some pics on a thread awhile back...can't find it at the moment (on mobile).
      11-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
balloonsalesman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

Apex spacers work well. Haven't heard of any issues. Using 12mm all around
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I heard when you run 10mm spacers on the front you run the risk of loosing a wheel. Something about there not being enough "meat" on the centering ring of the spacer. I think there has been a few threads on this already.

Just run 12 or 15mm spacers. Also make sure you run new longer wheel bolts.

See post #5

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Spacers
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336209
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I heard when you run 10mm spacers on the front you run the risk of loosing a wheel. Something about there not being enough "meat" on the centering ring of the spacer. I think there has been a few threads on this already.

See post #5

Thanks, great thread. I've been reading up a lot on it over the past few days, and as per my post below it's just so confusing as others confirm that they're sitting flush with the hub on a 10mm.

I'd really rather only go 10mm on the front as I don't want any scrub, but will go 12mm if there's still any concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonsalesman View Post
Thanks mate. I think 12mm would be fine, it's more 10mm that's my concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
I have 10mm from ECS on mine. Worked great! The bore is deep enough so they sit flush on the hub. I had the same concerns and went for it.When they arrived I confirmed with a micrometer that the bore is adequate.

I posted some pics on a thread awhile back...can't find it at the moment (on mobile).
Thanks so much mate!

Such varying information out there, but really good to hear that ECS 10mm sit flush. There seems to be a common consensus that 10mm absolutely will not work, but then others have success like yourself...very confusing!

Think I might chance it and see how 10mm ECS works out if I can't get confirmation that Macht Schnell will also work (can get them a little cheaper due to reduced shipping costs).

Quote:
Shall do!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Its not so much of the 10mm spacers that sit flush. The problem IS that there is simply not enough "meat" for the 10mm spacers to work on the front hubs. THAT is why you need to use 12mm(or thicker spacers) on the front.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
GimmeanM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

See post #5

Thanks, great thread. I've been reading up a lot on it over the past few days, and as per my post below it's just so confusing as others confirm that they're sitting flush with the hub on a 10mm.

I'd really rather only go 10mm on the front as I don't want any scrub, but will go 12mm if there's still any concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonsalesman View Post
Thanks mate. I think 12mm would be fine, it's more 10mm that's my concern.

Quote:

Thanks so much mate!

Such varying information out there, but really good to hear that ECS 10mm sit flush. There seems to be a common consensus that 10mm absolutely will not work, but then others have success like yourself...very confusing!

Think I might chance it and see how 10mm ECS works out if I can't get confirmation that Macht Schnell will also work (can get them a little cheaper due to reduced shipping costs).

Quote:
Shall do!
I promise the ECS have worked for me on the 1M! I know exactly what the concern is. I think that cheaper spacers end up having the problem that Dackelone and everyone is concerned about.

Believe me I know what the concern is. I had some cheaper 10mm spacers from Amazon on the rear of my E46 M3. They did not have a deep enough bore to clear the hub flange for that car and while they appeared to be flush and the wheel was correctly torqued, going down the highway they had started to work themselves loose. All of the sudden the car felt terrible and a lug bolt came completely out and was flung forward right by my head...saw it as it then bounced down the highway. ...Lesson learned!
      11-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #11
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Its not so much of the 10mm spacers that sit flush. The problem IS that there is simply not enough "meat" for the 10mm spacers to work on the front hubs. THAT is why you need to use 12mm(or thicker spacers) on the front.
My undertsanding is that the 10mm versions bottom out as they're simply not deep enough to seat against the hub due to the hub flange being 11mm-ish, possibly leaving a 1mm gap on some brands. Think I have that right?

Quote:
I promise the ECS have worked for me on the 1M! I know exactly what the concern is. I think that cheaper spacers end up having the problem that Dackelone and everyone is concerned about.

Believe me I know what the concern is. I had some cheaper 10mm spacers from Amazon on the rear of my E46 M3. They did not have a deep enough bore to clear the hub flange for that car and while they appeared to be flush and the wheel was correctly torqued, going down the highway they had started to work themselves loose. All of the sudden the car felt terrible and a lug bolt came completely out and was flung forward right by my head...saw it as it then bounced down the highway. ...Lesson learned!
You're a superstar, thanks mate

Once you re-torqued the ECS spacers that first time, have you had to do it again or has it been smooth sailing? No vibrations at all past 100mph?
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      11-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #12
GimmeanM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
My undertsanding is that the 10mm versions bottom out as they're simply not deep enough to seat against the hub due to the hub flange being 11mm-ish, possibly leaving a 1mm gap on some brands. Think I have that right?

Quote:

You're a superstar, thanks mate

Once you re-torqued the ECS spacers that first time, have you had to do it again or has it been smooth sailing? No vibrations at all past 100mph?
Yep, that's the exact reason that many 10mm have a problem, and exactly what the issue was with the cheap ones that I used on the E46.

I installed my ECS 10mm (after checking the hub flange depth on the car and the bore depth on the spacer with a micrometer to make sure they would clear) and torqued the wheels down to spec. Drove for a day or two and then re-torqued. Haven't had an issue. No vibrations or anything.
      11-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
thetyrant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 30d

You need to measure the hub flange protrusion on your car (part that locates into centre of wheel) as there have been variations on this from car to car for some reason, so what works on someone elses car may not work on yours and i found this out the hard way!

You cant safely have a hubcentric spacer thinner than the amount hub protrudes out, so if you have less than 10mm sticking out you can run a 10mm spacer.

On both my old 130's and current 135i front protrusion was just under 10mm so a 10mm hubcentric is minimum which seemed fairly standard from others i spoke to, however on rears i have 13.5mm protrusion so minimum spacer was 14mm (bought 15mm and turned it down to stop scrubbing) , others over here have got 12mm on rear but i couldnt.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Thickness of the brake rotor hat would make a difference, but if it is all original there shouldn't be much variation from car to car if they are the same model.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #15
thetyrant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 30d

Quote:
Thickness of the brake rotor hat would make a difference, but if it is all original there shouldn't be much variation from car to car if they are the same model.
Yes that would make a difference also but it doesn't seem to vary much, ive had a quite a few people measure the spigot/protrusion on various same model 1series over here and it varies by upto 3-4mm, crazy I know!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #16
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the help guys!

Quote:
Yep, that's the exact reason that many 10mm have a problem, and exactly what the issue was with the cheap ones that I used on the E46.

I installed my ECS 10mm (after checking the hub flange depth on the car and the bore depth on the spacer with a micrometer to make sure they would clear) and torqued the wheels down to spec. Drove for a day or two and then re-torqued. Haven't had an issue. No vibrations or anything.
I ended up going with ECS 10mm all 'round based on your experience mate. Hopefully they'll arrive this week or next, and I'll let you all know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #17
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Big thanks to GimmeanM, your advice was bang on :)

10mm ECS fit perfectly. They seat correctly, and there's no gap. No wheel wobble but only tested to 130km/h or so.

Super happy, thanks again mate!

Dane
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GimmeanM1448.50
      12-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #18
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Well, I'll have to be ordering some of these!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #19
GimmeanM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Big thanks to GimmeanM, your advice was bang on

10mm ECS fit perfectly. They seat correctly, and there's no gap. No wheel wobble but only tested to 130km/h or so.

Super happy, thanks again mate!

Dane
Excellent!! Glad they worked for you too! Car looks great, I love the flush look!

I'm on H&R springs and stock tire sizes. I'm hoping that the spacers will still work with my springs and wider tires (thinking about 265 up front and either 285 or 295 rears) once the new PS4's hit the market.

Here is mine before and after:
Attached Images

12-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #20
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Looks fantastic mate!

I hadn't heard of the PS4, I'll definitely be looking into them though as I'm due some fronts soon.

ECS shared my Instagram pic, seems like a few people are enjoying the 10mm spacers too

Appreciate 0