E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is this the "Shimmy" problem?

09-30-2005, 11:37 PM   #1
Suntan
Rep
Drives: 2006 530i & 330i

Is this the "Shimmy" problem?

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the forum! I've been reading about this "shimmy" or "steering wheel" problem with the E90, and I'm not sure if this is actually what I'm experiencing. So, I own a brand new 330i with currently only around 200 miles on it. What's surprising me though is that the steering is a little...I'm not sure, either too precise or too imprecise. As some of you may know, the roads here in Boston aren't exactly great and they do undulate up and down and side to side a lot even on the highways. My problem is that my car seems to really be "following the undulations in the road", so to speak. I mean, a lot of times, I actually have to do a lot of minute adjustments just to track the line - I frequently get the feeling especially at highway speeds that the car is just going to "jump" out of control onto the next lane! I mean, it feels almost "wobbly" which I would expect to be very uncharacteristic of a BMW. It's really kind of frightening. I also get the feeling that the steering wheel (which is very stiff to begin with) is "forcing" me to the left or sometimes to the right. It's just really odd. Maybe it's because I'm just not used to a sports sedan (our other car is an E60 and does not suffer from any of these "problems"), maybe the car just needs to be broken in, maybe the tire pressure or wheel alignment is off (but the dealer did do a state inspection before delivering the vehicle so this should be ok, right?)...I just don't know. So, I guess my question is: does everyone else have the same experiences with a 330i? Is all this normal?

Cheers,
Suntan
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 12:02 AM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Hi welcome and congrats on your new car.
I don't have any issues with my car, however the first thing you should check are the tyre pressures. The are filled with additional air at the factory to help minimise the flat spot effect the tyres may develop staying in one spot on the long haul during shipping. You may have un evenly filled tyres as well.

Mine were filled to about 38psi and I dropped them back to the 30 front, 33 back recommendation as displayed on the bottom of my drivers side B pillar.

Try that as a starting point and see how you fare.

All the best and you will enjoy this forum and your car will give you drive after drive of superb enjoyment.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #3
MTMnet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Manual

I had the same problem years ago with the 1993 325i sport package and it turned out to be the tires "tramming" with the groves on certain road surfaces.

It felt unsafe at freeway speeds, so I had a lower performance / narrower "touring" type of tire installed and it solved the problem, however they did not look as nice as the orginial tire.

Last edited by MTMnet; 10-01-2005 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 05:49 AM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Hi and welcome. First take David325Australia's advice. After that try to find a smooth level road without much crown to it and see how it behaves at various speeds. If you still have the issue, talk to your service dept. I had it a bit and had my wheels rebalanced which really took care of it.

However, last week I had my tires rotated and now I have the shimmey back again - on certain types of roads. This really convinces me that it has a lot to do with the tires, since the rears wear in differenlty than the fronts. I'm hoping it will dissapate as the tires 'wear in' to their new roles on the front.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
soj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, SP, PP, CW

it's called "tramlining" or "wandering". Most people believe it is due to the tires. "Shimmying" refers to car vibration that occurs around the 40-50mph range.

My car tramlines. I have a 330i non-sport. Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires which really suck major ass.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
shuzmaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325iAS

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Same issues here.
I think it's the run-flats.
I'm thinking about swapping regular Pilots.
U can check out my other posts.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
Suntan
Rep
Drives: 2006 530i & 330i

Hi! Thank you so much for all your great advice, everyone! I'll be sure to have the tires looked at first thing Monday. I really hope I can solve this problem soon. Everything else about the car is simply fantastic. I'm so glad to have found this forum!

Cheers,
Suntan
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #8
djpremier
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan
Hi! Thank you so much for all your great advice, everyone! I'll be sure to have the tires looked at first thing Monday. I really hope I can solve this problem soon. Everything else about the car is simply fantastic. I'm so glad to have found this forum!

Cheers,
Suntan
The only problem is that if you want different tires, you'll probably have to go regular rather than run-flat.

Depending on your tire / rim size, the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 is the only RF 225/24/17 tire available on the market (that I was able to find).

Do you want to get non-run flats? I think it would result in a softer ride but could also cause complications with BMW roadside assistance. I wouldn't trust your dealer on that. Call BMW NA to get the answer about the roadside assistance for non-supported tires.
Appreciate 0