BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2015, 12:10 AM   #1
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
strangest VANOS failure yet, please help!!!

ill try to explain this using the least amount of words,
2008, 135i, n54, 100k miles roughly
vehicle has been running perfectly, no hiccups, with the exception of the occasional plume of smoke of possible leaky turbos, or PCV system problem.
came across an oil leak, turned out to be the seal between the oil filter housing halves, and this will be the second time replacing this seal now.
100k on the clock, no history of VANOS codes or Cam position codes.
replaced seal, run for about 10 minutes to verify leak is gone then after about 10 minutes notice my car is running horribly all of a sudden, and struggling to maintain idle, wants to stall. notorious half check engine light is on, codes this go around are 2A9A, (inlet cam signal) 2AAF (for what reason idk) and 2A98 (inlet cam to crank)
did some digging, reading alot of vanos concerns revolving around these codes, decide to remove vanos solenoids, mark them so i can swap them from intake to exhaust and vice versa, and then soak them in a mild fuel tank additive to help clean them out.
soaked them for about 30 minutes and then using shop air lightly blew out solenoids until they were dry. installed in the reverese locations i removed them from. start the car, runs worse now than it did before which leads me to believe my problem is with those two solenoids. now the codes are 2A9A, 2A98, 2A99, multiple cylinder misfire code, then all the misfire codes for individual cylinders, and one time i pulled the codes the codes i was hoping for were there, 2A87, and 2A82. however those only showed up one time, the ones im getting most are the inlet cam signal (2A9A) and the inlet cam to crank (2A98)
im praying its just my vanos and not something else, but seeing the circumstances of the failure, does anyone whose brain isnt fried by researching these codes have any better insight? i havent read ANYTHING on cam position sensors failing on the n54. any help would be amazingly appreciated as i am strapped for cash ATM, havent gotten the tax return yet, and my car now doesnt even drive without lurching and wanting to stal, that is how severe this problem is. someone please give me some good news and tell me the poorly designed valvetronics can cripple this motor with just two little malfunctioning solenoids.
if it makes any difference, i was able to drive the car home ysterday, with a little effort to keep it the idle up when i was at a stop, vehicle was in limp but car was driveable. after i cleaned the solenoids, i couldnt even leave the parking lot of my work if i wanted to, car lurched and bucked and snorted and even stalled on me, and no amount of throttle input made a difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:33 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Just buy two new sensors!?!? Why even bother with cleaning, we all know these sensors go bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Just buy two new sensors!?!? Why even bother with cleaning, we all know these sensors go bad.
im already doing that, but i kind of wanted the peace of mind that these two little solenoids could make it to where by car barely ran, i understand the concept of limp mode but my car would barely even stay running, and it was bucking and snorting and sounded all kinds of pissed off
Appreciate 0