BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
mrsteve
Registered
Rep
Drives: S2000

Avoid BMW of Alexandria/BMW of Arlington and the Rest of the AV Automotive Group, LLC

Rather than re-write my entire story I'll just post my letter:

Quote:
November 24, 2010

Mr. Kamal B. Hoummad
BMW of Arlington/BMW of Alexandria
3100 Jefferson Davis Highway
Arlington, Virginia 22202

Reference: Recent Purchase of Pre-Owned Honda S2000

Dear Mr. Hoummad:

I am writing to convey my displeasure with your service during my recent purchase of a pre-owned 2006 Honda S2000 (Stock #6S000512; VIN: JHMAPXXXXXXXX0512) October 16, 2010. During our pre-sale negotiations and disclosure you provided me with an accurate CARFAX report for the vehicle which stated the Honda S2000 had been involved in a front end collision while in the operation of the vehicle’s previous owner.

You described to me that this entry on the report was due to the previous owner making a claim with their automobile insurance company regarding a cracked windshield and the subsequent replacement of the vehicle’s windshield. I observed the windshield to be in like-new condition (few to no scratches or pitting in glass) and took your word as the true depiction of the accident. However, that was not the extent of the repairs made to the vehicle. While I am not aware of the full extent of the repairs made at this time, it has come to my attention that both the front bumper and driver’s side front fender have been replaced and/or repaired on the vehicle. Close inspection of the front end of the vehicle shows a slight difference in paint color and the fender and front bumper are missing the original factory VIN stickers.

I took the vehicle to Fairfax Honda, a dealership you informed me was a part of your automotive group, the week following my purchase and asked them to look over the car, perform the scheduled routine maintenance required, and make one minor repair to the center console sliding cover. They did not disclose any problems to me.

While being privy to this information at the time of the sale would not have automatically made me walk-away from the purchase of the vehicle, I certainly would have taken it into consideration in terms of comparing the vehicle to similar cars for sale at other area dealerships and when negotiating a final sales price.

Disclosing this type of information is what makes an honest salesman and dealership. Honesty keeps customers coming back to service their vehicle, to purchase a second and third vehicle, and to recommend your dealership to their family and friends. Unfortunately, due to your inactions and dishonesty in discussing the previous repairs to the vehicle I purchased I will not be able to do any of the above.

Furthermore, I will be discussing my poor experience with your dealership with the multiple internet message boards I am active on including: www.S2ki.com, www.acurazine.com, www.bimmerforums.com, and www.bimmerpost.com in hopes that others in the area will not fall prey to your dishonest sales tactics. I also will be sending a copy of this letter to the Better Business Bureau.

I will be taking the car to an independent service station to have a full pre-purchase inspection to cover the entire vehicle in order to determine if the collision the vehicle was involved in caused any un-repaired damage. If there is damage related to the vehicle I will be contacting BMW Financial Services to determine if they have concerns over the value of the vehicle in which they financed.

I am severely disappointed with your actions and tactics and can only wish you improve the morals of your service.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

cc: Mr. Omar Stwodah, BMW of Arlington/BMW of Alexandria
Better Business Bureau of Washington, DC
Anyone have other experiences with them?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

I'm sorry you're displeased, but it is a used car you bought from a dealer. To expect them to know the details of the cars history is a bad bet. It could be that the story he gave you is what the PO told when they traded it in. Really in my opinion his mistake was saying anything beyond "all we know is what the carfax says".

I have no affiliation with that dealership and haven't been a customer. I'm just pointing out that based on what you posted, you didn't really get screwed since it sounds like you had all the information before hand.

I personally would have wanted it examined by an independent shop with an accident showing on it's report (which means I wouldn't have bought it since dealers don't like that).
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

BMW of Arlington is owned by Rosenthal. I'm a DC native, and their rep has been bad since I was young.

When I was looking for my BMW a few months back, the salesman at BMW of Arlington assured me, by phone, that the 2 cars I wanted to see were on the lot, and that he'd have them pulled up to the front, cause he knew I'd be coming my on my short lunch break. So I took the metro over to see them. Of course, he'd made no effort to locate them, much less move them to the front. Turned out one wasn't even on the lot. No apology, no nothing.

And the sales manager was a complete slimeball, trying to shame me into buying a used car I was considering. Major high-pressure tactics.

It all made me want to go home and take a shower.
      11-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
mrsteve
Registered
Rep
Drives: S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
I'm sorry you're displeased, but it is a used car you bought from a dealer. To expect them to know the details of the cars history is a bad bet. It could be that the story he gave you is what the PO told when they traded it in. Really in my opinion his mistake was saying anything beyond "all we know is what the carfax says".

I have no affiliation with that dealership and haven't been a customer. I'm just pointing out that based on what you posted, you didn't really get screwed since it sounds like you had all the information before hand.

I personally would have wanted it examined by an independent shop with an accident showing on it's report (which means I wouldn't have bought it since dealers don't like that).
I acknowledge there was some ignorance on my part. But the guy insisted the CARFAX entry was solely due to the windshield being replaced. The repair is actually quite good. I've had the car for more than a month now and just realized the bumper and fender aren't original.

Live and learn.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Yeah they are shady, I tried to buy a car there and they refused to help me.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

This was the only place that said my deposit would've been non-refundable when I was car shopping. It made me kind of hesitant to wanna do business there as who was to stop them from not honoring the price we had agreed upon a few months down the line with my deposit hostage? Their inventory kind of sucks anyway; go to Tischer/Passport/Sterling instead.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post
I acknowledge there was some ignorance on my part. But the guy insisted the CARFAX entry was solely due to the windshield being replaced.
I didn't mean to take away from your frustration as I too tend to take people at their word more than I probably should too. My point was that he could have been telling you what he believed was the truth as much as trying to pull one over on you. Unfortunately based on the other responders (and if they are indeed owned by Rosenthal, I have my own stories about their old Tysons Jag dealer) it sounds like he probably did do it on purpose.
Appreciate 0