BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #3455
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
no haven't seen it in person yet. really like the M3 in photos.....disliked the M4 even in the photos! I'm sure they are huge as you're saying......Everytime i see a 4-series i think it looks HUGE so the M4 must look even bigger.....
I followed an M3 test mule last year, didn't do much for me, though I don't have any interest in any sedans. And they sound so farty and bad from the outside compared to our exotic beasts, though not sure I can include you in that anymore. =P They did choose an excellent wav file though as it does sound nice from INSIDE the car through the speakers.

There is a mineral grey 435 that now parks near me at work as of last week and every time I walk by, all I think is how huge that looks and how pointless the excess size/weight is. I should park next to it one day before I leave and take pics of them side by side to really show the size difference. It looks like, dare I say...a luxobarge!

Anyways, looks like I'm moving up in the world! Last week I had a lovely hyundai accent rental car and this week, I got a hyundai elantra! In red! I shall be cruising in style today as the designated driver. Let me upgrade! Don't be jealous y'all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #3456
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I followed an M3 test mule last year, didn't do much for me, though I don't have any interest in any sedans. And they sound so farty and bad from the outside compared to our exotic beasts, though not sure I can include you in that anymore. =P They did choose an excellent wav file though as it does sound nice from INSIDE the car through the speakers.

There is a mineral grey 435 that now parks near me at work as of last week and every time I walk by, all I think is how huge that looks and how pointless the excess size/weight is. I should park next to it one day before I leave and take pics of them side by side to really show the size difference. It looks like, dare I say...a luxobarge!

Anyways, looks like I'm moving up in the world! Last week I had a lovely hyundai accent rental car and this week, I got a hyundai elantra! In red! I shall be cruising in style today as the designated driver. Let me upgrade! Don't be jealous y'all.
OK....wait. I get why you rented to Accent last week to keep the miles down on your car so that when you return from SB with your new suspension and pull into your garage your car will have exactly 7,000 miles on it...but why the Elantra this week? I need a scorecard to keep up with your Hyundai fetish....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #3457
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
OK....wait. I get why you rented to Accent last week to keep the miles down on your car so that when you return from SB with your new suspension and pull into your garage your car will have exactly 7,000 miles on it...but why the Elantra this week? I need a scorecard to keep up with your Hyundai fetish....
I could have paid $15 more and had a red mustang convertible...v6. No thanks.

Similar reasons for the rental today, though it's so I can have 6500 miles when it goes in for alignment and service. But, moreso because I'm the designated driver today for the 4th and driving 3 people way off yonder for barbeque and fireworks and I ain't stuffing them + their kid in my car, nor do I want my beloved baby parked out there. Man, this elantra is so much nicer than that accent. SiriusXM active again as well. =)

But hey, if I've gotta rent a car, might as well take a nice 50 mile cruise up the coast and take the long way there. Next week...I shall do that in MY car up to SB for the suspension install, then back down PCH to see how she feels. =)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #3458
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
... or install some PPK stickers...

When I got PPK1 installed, my dealer didn't give me the opportunity to install the stickers myself. They did it for me and I wasn't happy at all! Oh well, at least they're on the car even if they're not where i'd put them. And my butt dyno says it feels more like 350 hp rather than 320 quoted. Don't know if i'm right but that would be typical of BMW to underestimate the hp on the PPK as they underestimate it on everything else. I'm sure it's been dyno'd in the past but it still feels like that to me. Wonder what the 1M feels like. IEDEI - your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #3459
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
When I got PPK1 installed, my dealer didn't give me the opportunity to install the stickers myself. They did it for me and I wasn't happy at all! Oh well, at least they're on the car even if they're not where i'd put them. And my butt dyno says it feels more like 350 hp rather than 320 quoted. Don't know if i'm right but that would be typical of BMW to underestimate the hp on the PPK as they underestimate it on everything else. I'm sure it's been dyno'd in the past but it still feels like that to me. Wonder what the 1M feels like. IEDEI - your thoughts?
Did they give you the metal badge? THat's the "sticker" they're mocking me on. Long story.

But it's interesting you mention that you feel that the PPK is underrated by BMW. I was researching the dinan stage 2 flash again and stumbled on a very intriguing and interesting video of Steve Dinan evaluating the PPK on a newer 335. I've sent this to a few people, but will post here since anyone with the PPK might be interested. Assuming the PPK is exactly the same for the N55 335 or darn close, they dyno'd it and found that the power estimates ARE quite underrated by BMW. If that's the case, that really narrows the gap between our cars with PPK and the dinan stage 2 flash and means it may not be worth it really. I don't know anybody that's actually dyno'd an N55 135 with the PPK to see what they got though. Enjoy!

And happy 4th to my fellow IS owners and Marc08EX and EvenEsteban, whose severe OCD makes you welcome additions we embrace as well. =P

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #3460
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did they give you the metal badge? THat's the "sticker" they're mocking me on. Long story.
Yes, they did give me the metal badge and they stuck it on the inside of my hood so when I open the hood and look up - there it is. Weird place. Think I've read that long story you're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #3461
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And happy 4th to my fellow IS owners and Marc08EX and EvenEsteban, whose severe OCD makes you welcome additions we embrace as well. =P
Thanks for the welcome and happy 4th to you and all fellow 1ADDICTS as well.

Last edited by Esteban; 07-04-2014 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #3462
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Happy Independence Day everyone!!!

Today I gave my car the Collinite 845 treatment. This stuff is amazing. Extremely easy to apply and remove. 2 weeks ago I had the car clayed and sealed with Optimum Poli-Seal, so adding 2 coats of Collinite 845 makes the finish look simply incredible.
Attached Images

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #3463
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Happy Independence Day everyone!!!

Today I gave my car the Collinite 845 treatment. This stuff is amazing. Extremely easy to apply and remove. 2 weeks ago I had the car clayed and sealed with Optimum Poli-Seal, so adding 2 coats of Collinite 845 makes the finish look simply incredible.
Bro. That car looks amazing in the pics. Whatever you applied, I'm doing that this week. I just waxed the beast and it looks legit, but your pics take it to another level. Nice work.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #3464
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
You and Greg related?
Lol, by the way. Meant to post earlier. That was priceless. Was literally cracking up when I read that. How didn't I make that connection?!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #3465
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Assuming the PPK is exactly the same for the N55 335 or darn close, they dyno'd it and found that the power estimates ARE quite underrated by BMW. If that's the case, that really narrows the gap between our cars with PPK and the dinan stage 2 flash and means it may not be worth it really. I don't know anybody that's actually dyno'd an N55 135 with the PPK to see what they got though. Enjoy!
Greg, if you ever come to NY, take my ride out for the afternoon. The Dinan tune is miles ahead of the PPK Tune. I bet you fly back to LA and get it installed... Bet you a hundred bucks you would =) ...
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #3466
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
Greg, if you ever come to NY, take my ride out for the afternoon. The Dinan tune is miles ahead of the PPK Tune. I bet you fly back to LA and get it installed... Bet you a hundred bucks you would =) ...
$100? Shit. After taking your beast for a spin, I'd bet $2000 that he'd go get it installed. I would too
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #3467
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
That looks awesome Rick! you have way more energy than I do. Too lazy, these days to do it myself. Fortunately (or is it unfortunately), I have more money than energy so I have a detailer come to my house every so often. He does a really great job but there's nothing like the feeling of doing it yourself! Oh and by the way, love the splash guards. Wonder how they'd look on lemans blue? Probably not as good as they look on mineral grey. Dam you, mineral grey!
Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
Bro. That car looks amazing in the pics. Whatever you applied, I'm doing that this week. I just waxed the beast and it looks legit, but your pics take it to another level. Nice work.
Thanks guys! This Collinite 845 stuff is really nice. Full disclosure: I do have my detailer guy periodically do the claying and Optimum Poli-Seal, but I've been thinking of springing for a Porter-Cable 7424xp and doing the claying, sealing, and polishing myself.

The splash guards are polarizing. I've had people negatively comment on them in these forums, and I've heard people bash them at meets. I installed them due to the tremendous amounts of debris on the roads here in the winter and wanted to reduce the damage to the paint behind the wheels, and they've been pretty effective.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #3468
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
The problem is, I'm sure it's awesome and will be just like crack. Once I try it, I'll be hooked and there's no going back! That's why I'm trying to D.A.R.E. and so no to Dinan...for this week. I'll be at the Dinan dealer though on Saturday to discuss the details.

Quote:
Oh and by the way, love the splash guards. Wonder how they'd look on lemans blue? Probably not as good as they look on mineral grey. Dam you, mineral grey!
Esteban - check out 3002 tii's pics in this thread as he put splash guards on his lemans blue 135is if you want to see what it looks like. One benefit though of having them on the mineral grey is they likely blend in more as they're almost body colored.

Quote:
Thanks guys! This Collinite 845 stuff is really nice.
And damn Rick that looks AMAZING. I swear, in the close up side shots, I couldn't even tell what color the car was cause it's so reflective. It looked like a black car. Mineral grey at its finest.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #3469
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
If you want, I can send you a small bottle it to use. I have tons and bought new fun stuff to try when I detail mine in a couple of weeks, so have plenty to spare, and even have a small 4 ounce bottle I put some in. I fear though if you put this on a black car, you will blind all drivers and burn every ant in town as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #3470
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Esteban - check out 3002 tii's pics in this thread as he put splash guards on his lemans blue 135is if you want to see what it looks like. One benefit though of having them on the mineral grey is they likely blend in more as they're almost body colored.
Checked out 3002 tii's car again to refresh my memory (seen it before). looks good but not as good as Rick's with the splash guards. The splash guards just don't blend as well on the lemans blue. In my opinion they look like afterthoughts on the lemans blue car (no offense), but with mineral grey they look like they came with the car to me and it would look incomplete without them. Mineral grey is definitely my second favorite color on this car but lemans blue rules!

Last edited by Esteban; 07-05-2014 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: To correct spelling in 3002 tii's name
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #3471
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Checked out 3002 ti's car again to refresh my memory (seen it before). looks good but not as good as Rick's with the splash guards. The splash guards just don't blend as well on the lemans blue. In my opinion they look like afterthoughts on the lemans blue car (no offense), but with mineral grey they look like they came with the car to me and it would look incomplete without them. Mineral grey is definitely my second favorite color on this car but lemans blue rules!
You could always get this mineral grey 135is. =P

http://www.bmwofbloomington.com/used...a356447b7d.htm

Mineral Grey for life,

Greg
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #3472
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you want, I can send you a small bottle it to use. I have tons and bought new fun stuff to try when I detail mine in a couple of weeks, so have plenty to spare, and even have a small 4 ounce bottle I put some in. I fear though if you put this on a black car, you will blind all drivers and burn every ant in town as well.
PM sent!
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #3473
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
how much does it cost to have someone do these Opti paint seals? am thinking about getting it done. can't be arsed to do it myself as i am terrible at detailing...lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #3474
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mineral Grey for life,

Greg
You want a piece of me? Come at me bro!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #3475
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

yo why do you have so many rental cars!?!?! use your 135is!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #3476
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Whiteline Bushing Inserts (KDT918)

Check out what just showed up

Gonna see if my indy can put these on this week. Will definitely let you know.

2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0